X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... o, very much. And tonite we are promised Bill Paterson as someone not to be messed with. And a Big Reveal....

Am also still much enjoying Giri/Haji, and - even tho' it's a bit battered and showing its age, Spiral series 7.

Last night's Gold Digger a complete hoot, compulsively watchable in a mad-as-a-box-of-frogs way : and anything with Alex Jennings, Julia Ormond, Jemima Rooper gets my vote...

....bit worried that Gold Digger might be a bit......well,swiggey....ugh....
    bong ching

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      ....bit worried that Gold Digger might be a bit......well,swiggey....ugh....
      ... "swiggey"? - connais pas.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....perhaps it doesn't exiust....swidgey....swee[d]gy....Swudgey (sounds like the name of a fag at public school)....what ever you put in google like sweedgey, it all seems to root to swiggy [some sort of Indian takeaway]....5 minutes of my life....[tee hee]
        bong ching

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Am also still much enjoying Giri/Haji
          - somebody mentioned this a few pages back, and I meant to comment then. I think it's the best British-made police series since Life on Mars - the way it can turn from hilarity to horror in the blink of an eye. I'm about to watch the last episode, and can't imagine how it will all turn out well - and I shall be at a loose end when it's over.

Will Sharpe also brings his considerable talents to the very watchable Defending the Guilty (no relation to Guilt - although the always reliable Mark Bonnar is in both) - badly publicised by the Beeb as "hilarious", and with a TV trailer suggesting something much weaker than it turned out to be. It has none of the noisy desperation of most comedy described as "hilarious" by the Beeb's publicity dept; it's a decent comedy drama about learner barristers - with a good narrative thread, and some splendid performances from all the cast.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
            ....perhaps it doesn't exiust....swidgey....swee[d]gy....Swudgey (sounds like the name of a fag at public school)....what ever you put in google like sweedgey, it all seems to root to swiggy [some sort of Indian takeaway]....5 minutes of my life....[tee hee]
            I thought your Swiggy referred to people who drink from the bottle, rather than a glass.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              - somebody mentioned this a few pages back, and I meant to comment then. I think it's the best British-made police series since Life on Mars - the way it can turn from hilarity to horror in the blink of an eye. I'm about to watch the last episode, and can't imagine how it will all turn out well - and I shall be at a loose end when it's over.
              ... it's one of the most televisually deft things I've seen in ages. The deterioration in the relationship between the police woman (Sarah) and her partner shown in a few clips, almost without words, and yet conveying all that one needed. Many good visual jokes - segueing from the coffee dripping in a machine in London to the medical drip in Tokyo, etc. Elegant, stylish, witty. And (like Spiral) I love the way they avoid any obvious touristy scenes of the capital.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Just watched the last episode - wow! I wasn't expecting any of that! A wonderful achievement.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

... it's one of the most televisually deft things I've seen in ages. The deterioration in the relationship between the police woman (Sarah) and her partner shown in a few clips, almost without words, and yet conveying all that one needed. Many good visual jokes - segueing from the coffee dripping in a machine in London to the medical drip in Tokyo, etc. Elegant, stylish, witty. And (like Spiral) I love the way they avoid any obvious touristy scenes of the capital.

Then for almost that reason alone, I must watch this. Whenever I return to my DVD collection of favourute 1960s comedy and spy movies...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

I found the programme on BBC4 last night, 'Unlocking Nature's Secrets: The Serengeti Rules', fascinating. The documentary followed five ecological scientists in various parts of the natural world investigating the concept of the 'Key Species' - from Sea Otters in the Aleutian Islands to Wildebeest in the Serengeti to fresh water bass to starfish in tidepools, and the effect of humans downgrading various environments. The programme was interesting, but also left me with a sense that we know what to do to rectify many of these things.
                    Five scientists reveal how they uncovered a single set of rules that govern life on earth.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                      • Nov 2010

Watched the first episode of series 3 of The Crown on Netflix yesterday. Excellent stuff - with plenty of material that will satisfy both monarchists and republicans.
                      Steve

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Tonight's Panorama on government and MOD cover-ups over covert military operations and illegal killings carried out on civilians by British army personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan - one of the most shocking exposés I've seen. Brilliant job there, BBC.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Tonight's Panorama on government and MOD cover-ups over covert military operations and illegal killings carried out on civilians by British army personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan - one of the most shocking exposés I've seen. Brilliant job there, BBC.
                          With T. May very much in the dock, along with the war criminals of the Black Watch, Special Forces and others.

Comment

• gradus
                            • Nov 2010

Vienna Blood (BBC2) - detective aided by a Freud-aware side-kick - was entertaining and included a brief appearance by Gustav Mahler, being given the cold-shoulder by an anti-Semitic Viennese upper crust audience.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

Yes it was a rare dramatic sighting of the great man . I don’t think I’ve ever heard Die Zwei Blauen Augen used as the musical backdrop to a murder before . Morse wasn’t much of a Mahler fan was he ?

Comment

• muzzer
                                • Nov 2013

I’m watching the new season of The Crown. The performances are great, but it’s basically played for laughs. I can’t help thinking that HMQ has lived to a ripe old age and kept her counsel (in contrast of course to the rest of her family) only to watch her life dramatised for posterity, and with a licence over which she has no control. I know that sounds a bit pious, but I can’t help see the irony. The Diana years are going to be cringeworthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X