X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Mal View Post
    So long since I read it that I couldn't remember if I made it through first time, but on a second try recently I gave up fairly quickly! I recall (vaguely) enjoying the old film back in the 70s. I did make it through Philip K. Dick's Novel Man in the High Castle recently, perhaps his greatest novel? But I'm seriously flagging at the start of season 3 of the Amazon Prime series... will probably give up on it...

I felt the same way about 'The Handmaid's Tale' and have now given up on it.
    Has NOBODY ELSE out there seen 'The Looming Tower', which I found well acted and gripping from start to finish?

Comment

• Jonathan
      • Mar 2007

We're currently watching "The First" which was on Channel four in November and December last year. It's excellent and very gripping.
      Best regards,
      Jonathan

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

'Dark Money'.
        Blimey.

One of the most gripping and best acted one hour's TV I've seen in years.
        And that's just Pt 1!!!

The issues concerned are heart-breaking, adn brilliantly set out. Less is more, dignified, and truly anger-making as well.
        Last edited by DracoM; 08-07-19, 22:36.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Anybody who enjoyed 'Tutti Frutti' might like to try 'Takin' Over The Asylum' (BBC Scotland, episodes 1 and 2 now on iPlayer, episode 3 airs at 2100 on Saturday). I would describe it as a very entertaining and sometimes moving dark comedy which addresses issues around mental health which, sadly, seem no nearer to a conclusion today than they were 25 years ago when the series was first broadcast. David Tennant's performance as Campbell is truly amazing.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            Anybody who enjoyed 'Tutti Frutti' might like to try 'Takin' Over The Asylum' (BBC Scotland, episodes 1 and 2 now on iPlayer, episode 3 airs at 2100 on Saturday). I would describe it as a very entertaining and sometimes moving dark comedy which addresses issues around mental health which, sadly, seem no nearer to a conclusion today than they were 25 years ago when the series was first broadcast. David Tennant's performance as Campbell is truly amazing.
            I'm enjoying it too, L. Ken Stott is great in it as the sympathetic loser, and as you say, David Tennant as good as I've seen him, and the kinda scary Katy Murphy - I followed it last weekend by watching Ken as Rebus on Drama...think it's a great performance he puts in there too.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              I'm enjoying it too, L. Ken Stott is great in it as the sympathetic loser, and as you say, David Tennant as good as I've seen him, and the kinda scary Katy Murphy - I followed it last weekend by watching Ken as Rebus on Drama...think it's a great performance he puts in there too.
              Might I remind you that Ken Stott's character has just been named 'Salesman Of The Month' - thanks to Liz Smith's 35 windows!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

I watched the BBC1 Panorama "Is Labour Anti-Semitic?" via the iPlayer. What has Panorama sunk to? Following it, I watched the 4 part Al Jazeera documentary "The Lobby" which exposes the unequivocal role of Israeli interference in UK politics.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  I watched the BBC1 Panorama "Is Labour Anti-Semitic?" via the iPlayer. What has Panorama sunk to? Following it, I watched the 4 part Al Jazeera documentary "The Lobby" which exposes the unequivocal role of Israeli interference in UK politics.
                  The independent enquiry into allegations of intra party antisemitism should hopefully do what this programme didn't - and tbh by this point in the unfolding tale, or mythology might be a better term, I wasn't expecting it to - namely, an in-depth investigation into the matter which will substantiate al the evidence rather than make rhetorical claims or flash undecipherable correspondence on the screen; include that of the Al Jazeera documentary (which was not even goven a cursory consideration); and hear the voices of jewish people in the party who hold very contrary views from those we saw presented, who have spoken out.

By the time that's concluded, it will all be too late, I expect...

If anybody hasn't seen the Al Jazeera I would urge them to, for a very different take.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Yes, and Newsnight led on those three senior resignations on the day Labour announced their, er, less-equivocal support for a second referendum....
                    That was hardly unbiased either...

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Oh dear - I skipped the programs mentioned above - msg 806 - but there is concern that there is too much biased reporting - and also interference. I suppose I'll have to check those out later.

I did watch the Apollo 11 program, which was really rather good. Of course a lot of it was reconstructed, but the voices were apparently original. One mistake was the sound effect as a hammer was used to take a core sample of moon rock - I don't think that was possible, or is the Moon's atmosphere slightly greater/more dense than I assumed?

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Boilk
                        To my surprise, have become somewhat addicted to early 1970s episodes of Public Eye on the Talking Pictures channel (Freeview 81) - I was too young to know them first time around. Public Eye was Thames TV's low-key detective series starring Alfred Burke as the disheveled enquiry agent Frank Marker (arguably Britain's very own Columbo, you could say). Nicely written, acted and paced and often ending with a sting in the tail. The jazzy theme tune, with trombone lead, is particularly tasteful and memorable...

The same channel has also run the complete series of both Callan and Rumpole of the Bailey in recent weeks. Both were hugely enjoyable. Those who are responsible for modern television drama should watch these for their intelligent scripts, good acting and, above all, CLEAR DICTION.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                          The same channel has also run the complete series of both Callan and Rumpole of the Bailey in recent weeks. Both were hugely enjoyable. Those who are responsible for modern television drama should watch these for their intelligent scripts, good acting and, above all, CLEAR DICTION.
                          We're currently working our way (albeit not on TPTV) through series 3 of 'Upstairs Downstairs' and the 8 episodes of 'Hornblower', dating from the 70s and 80s respectively, and the lack of subtitles is not a problem. Is the lack of clear diction in more recent productions the unfortunate result of an attempt to be more 'naturalistic' and less 'plummy' or 'stagey', I wonder?

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                            Who is this Caire Dixon?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Who is this Caire Dixon?
                              She got docked because she was too green.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Boilk
                                To my surprise, have become somewhat addicted to early 1970s episodes of Public Eye on the Talking Pictures channel (Freeview 81) - I was too young to know them first time around. Public Eye was Thames TV's low-key detective series starring Alfred Burke as the disheveled enquiry agent Frank Marker (arguably Britain's very own Columbo, you could say). Nicely written, acted and paced and often ending with a sting in the tail. The jazzy theme tune, with trombone lead, is particularly tasteful and memorable...

I used to really enjoy that series. I think there could be an update and remake. Brian Capron would be the ideal Marker.

Comment

Working...
                                X