Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

We thought we would try 2 of this week's new TV dramas - what a contrast!
    We found the relentless pace and general 'in your face' attitude of 'Years and Years' (BBC1) exhausting and gave up after 15 minutes or so. Episode 1 of 'The Virtues' (C4), on the other hand, was quietly and devastatingly absorbing, with a screenplay that was not afraid to take its time. helped by a wonderful performance by Stephen Graham.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      We thought we would try 2 of this week's new TV dramas - what a contrast!
      We found the relentless pace and general 'in your face' attitude of 'Years and Years' (BBC1) exhausting and gave up after 15 minutes or so. Episode 1 of 'The Virtues' (C4), on the other hand, was quietly and devastatingly absorbing, with a screenplay that was not afraid to take its time. helped by a wonderful performance by Stephen Graham.
      Anyone tried 15 Days on Channel 5? Nearly, but not quite, as funny as Cold Comfort Farm - sadly, it's meant (I think) to be a "gripping murder mystery", but is so clogged with clichés and stereotypes that its just hilarious!

Meanwhile, Series 3 of Cardinal got off to a very good start on Saturday. In English, but subtitles still required to hear what the main character is hoarsely whispering ...
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

'Berlin Station' is really gripping. As usual with these series I find it hard waiting for the next episode on More4.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Anyone tried 15 Days on Channel 5? Nearly, but not quite, as funny as Cold Comfort Farm . . .
          Your mention of CCF leads me to ask if anyone here just happens to have kept a recording of “Conference at Cold Comfort Farm”, which was a distinct allusion to the blessed Margaret. My cassette of it went missing, decades ago. I made the mistake of lending it around without first copying it. I’d love to hear it again.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            'Berlin Station' is really gripping. As usual with these series I find it hard waiting for the next episode on More4.
            Yes, am really enjoying this - more so than the first season, if anything.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Yes, am really enjoying this - more so than the first season, if anything.
              Yes, I wouldn't disagree with that.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

....well [what's it called] you can't have any thread without someone mentioning Hitler [I'm not a generally Yesterday watcher of the Third Reich]....but 2 good programmes this week....BBC4 Hitlers Children ref later generations of Nazi topbrasshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01j10j3/hitlers-children

and Storyville....memories of Goebbels' secretary [now 103]....https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...tary-remembers

and contraversial [not to me more - Real] One Day in Gazahttps://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00052gc/one-day-in-gaza

A brilliant betrayal of A day in the life of Gaza and the realpolitiK of Trump and USA....
                bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  ....well [what's it called] you can't have any thread without someone mentioning Hitler
                  It soon might not be possible for any drama programme to exclude mention of The Environment*, from what I was hearing this morning. As Jonathan Porrit once said, "Some politicians wouldn't know where the environment was if it rose up and hit them in the face"!

*That's a double negative - which is pretty exceptional for me!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    It soon might not be possible for any drama programme to exclude mention of The Environment*, from what I was hearing this morning. As Jonathan Porrit once said, "Some politicians wouldn't know where the environment was if it rose up and hit them in the face"!

*That's a double negative - which is pretty exceptional for me!
                    ....yes, I can feel the single-use plastic stacking up around me even when asleep....[coz my beds made of memory foam]....
                    bong ching

Comment

• Braunschlag
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      Yes, I wouldn't disagree with that.
                      Me neither - warming up very well after this weeks episode. Great location shots in the city as well.

Comment

• Tevot
                        • Nov 2010

Hello there,

I'd recommend "Chernobyl" which is currently on Sky Atlantic. Fantastic acting throughout and utterly chilling. Great production values and some striking images too. Sobering to realise how very close much of Europe came to utter disaster back in April 1986. A very good review about the series posted below.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

So the Great GoT Thing ends tonight, for ever.....after last week's scorched-city brutality, what on Earth can we expect....?
                          0200... the Hot Chocolate, the Brandy.....

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
                            Hello there,

I'd recommend "Chernobyl" which is currently on Sky Atlantic. Fantastic acting throughout and utterly chilling. Great production values and some striking images too. Sobering to realise how very close much of Europe came to utter disaster back in April 1986. A very good review about the series posted below.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/chernobyl-2019
                            Just watched Ep 2. So moving when those three men volunteered to go into the radioactive water tank and certain death, thereby averting that utter disaster.

Comment

• alywin
                              • Apr 2011

I was really disappointed when I found this was on Sky. I'd read an article about it and was really looking forward to seeing it.

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Poliakoff: 'Summer of the Rockets'.

Utterly preposterous, a simply dreadful pantomime. So many good actors given such appalling scripts.

Comment

Working...
                                X