Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

We've been enjoying 'DNA' on Saturday night on BBC4. Halfway through the eight episodes and some fine performances in there. Good to see Charlotte Rampling playing a nicely grouchy role among other things.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      You want Dracula?
      Ahem...try the 'Trump Show' on BBC2. Blimey!

Been watching all episodes.

Apparently if Trump gets back in we're "promised" a better trade deal than from Biden, who regards us as idiots for choosing Brexit, and is more interested in setting up a trade deal favourable to the EU that bypasses us. But, hey! - at least from Trump we have chlorinated chicken for our Sunday lunch to look forward to; what I shame I happen to be vegetarian!

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Genuinely think I may never buy / eat another chicken - if I can help it from now on ..................yuk.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Genuinely think I may never buy / eat another chicken - if I can help it from now on ..................yuk.
          An alternative is to buy from known sources, either directly via farmshops local butchers and the like, or check the label on supermarket meat - although once processed in some fashion it becomes more difficult to determine origin. Ironically perhaps this is where Lidl and Aldi could win since they source a great deal of their fresh produce in the UK and it doesn't carry a cost penalty. A great many folk currently agitating about chlorinated chicken might usefully ask themselves whether chicken produced in Thailand is likely to be any better - as there is an awful lot of it in British food, both as uncooked fresh or frozen, and as the meat in prepared meals such as curries. My concern is the risk that any deal with the USA will remove the option to check labels for such things as origin and GMOs as they are very much anti labelling for such matters. That erodes the individual's right to choose - doesn't remove it as ultimately there is the choice not to buy an inadequately labelled product, but that isn't a satisfactory defence IMO.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Apparently if Trump gets back in we're "promised" a better trade deal than from Biden, who regards us as idiots for choosing Brexit, and is more interested in setting up a trade deal favourable to the EU that bypasses us. But, hey! - at least from Trump we have chlorinated chicken for our Sunday lunch to look forward to; what I shame I happen to be vegetarian!
            ....Avoided Trump Show with avengence....but caught a large chunk of Totally Under Control - Trump and Covid 19 https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...mp-and-covid19 ....the character of Jared Kushner + wife +wifes brothers as future Presidential Contenders is truly chilling..........the Privatisation and Commercial Posibilities of Covid, and the squandering of money....and lack of empathy in this cohort...
            bong ching

Comment

• LHC
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I'm afraid I have bad news for you. The Govt has vowed not to allow chlorinated chicken or hormone-fed beef on British supermarket shelves:

Waitrose and other supermarkets have also stated that they won't stock chlorinated chicken under any circumstances.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                I'm afraid I have bad news for you. The Govt has vowed not to allow chlorinated chicken or hormone-fed beef on British supermarket shelves:

Waitrose and other supermarkets have also stated that they won't stock chlorinated chicken under any circumstances.
                Well, that's your rescue of a trade deal with America down the plug hole, then.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

'Being Frank' BBC 2
                  BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner explores what it is like to become disabled.

Astonishingly unvarnished. And humbling.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                    The Govt has vowed
                    Can you really say those words with a straight face?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                      Can you really say those words with a straight face?
                      You would really need to wear one of those masks with someone else's straight face on it, as seen on street demos...

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... we are currently addicted to two series on netflix, both intensely rewarding, one dark and the other lighter in tone -

and

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Call My Agent! is indeed an addictive pleasure!

I did feel that season 1 was somewhat better than season 2, which lost the deadpan feel of the first in favour of more ‘mugging’ and trying to be funny. But excellent all the same, and what a treat to see the likes of Adjani, Baye, Luchini, Binoche, Dujardin &c. gleefully sending themselves up

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... we are currently addicted to two series on netflix, both intensely rewarding, one dark and the other lighter in tone -

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

This looks promising tonight.......

Annie Nightingale selects some of the finest performances from the punk and new wave era.

Profile of long-serving and eclectic Radio 1 broadcaster, Annie Nightingale.

and The Mandalorian is back, BACK, BACK!
                            Disney+, S2 Ep 2 tonight.....

Do wish they'd be a bit kinder to the bigger monsters though....and hope my role-model Cara Dune will be back soon too...
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 07-11-20, 04:46.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

TURN-Washington’s Spies, on Netflix, formerly AMC

Comment

• Jonathan
                                • Mar 2007

Another Netflix series we've been enjoying recently: Alta Mar (originally in Spanish but dubbed into English) - sort of murder mystery / suspense series set on an ocean liner just after the 2nd world war. There are 3 series (unfortunately, Netflix cancelled series 4)
                                Best regards,
                                Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                                X