X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    I look down the schedules and think how little there is to recommend. Am I alone with this thought?
    Nope - and the number and frequency of repeats can only increase.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      BBC 'Spooks' - worth seeing.
      I love the way they managed to film at the old Naval College in Greenwich without the background sound of TCM
      I made a couple of 12 hour timelapse audio recordings there a few years ago which revealed all sorts of things

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

I look down the schedules and think how little there is to recommend. Am I alone with this thought?
        No. In some ways that's not a bad thing as it forces me to do something other than watch the gogglebox, but there are times when I could do with having something to distract me that I haven't had to put the effort into.

Comment

• Edgy 2
          • Jan 2019

No.
          Mrs Edge is a telly addict whereas I think I could live without TV altogether.
          I would miss footy and Talking Pictures thoug.
          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

For lovers of the Cumbrian landscape and/or those in need of something other than 'normal' TV, a slow TV film of a sheep gather off Scafell Pike. The sheep in the picture on the schedule page did manage to break the contemplative mood at one point by smacking the camera into a rock it was walking under. Occasional comments from the shepherd, and short readings of specially written poetry (which I found were an excellent addition, and would like to read as they conjured up scenes so aptly and concisely) were well judged additions and didn't intrude.
            An epic journey from summit to valley as a shepherd gathers his sheep off Scafell Pike.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

All of this

over and over again

Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse share their life experiences while fishing.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                All of this

over and over again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b7r2kb
                Love them, MrGG. Talking of fishing, I caught this programme last night late called 'Jago: A Life Underwater' on BBC 4, initially shown a couple of years back. It's a documentary about the life of this 80 year-old man from the Togian Islands in Indonesia, who dives on a single breath to great depths - a beautiful piece of TV.
                The 80-year-old hunter who dives like a fish on a single breath to stalk his prey.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Love them, MrGG. Talking of fishing, I caught this programme last night late called 'Jago: A Life Underwater' on BBC 4, initially shown a couple of years back. It's a documentary about the life of this 80 year-old man from the Togian Islands in Indonesia, who dives on a single breath to great depths - a beautiful piece of TV.
                  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rp0ld
                  thanks

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Well worth catching Channel 4's "The Truth about Amazon" (not the river). It's nearly over but you can catch it on C4+1 from 22:00 hrs, or via More 4.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Delighted to find BBC4 are rebroadcasting the legendary series of programmes with Bob Ross painting nature scenes etc.

Whatever one thinks of the final works ... the process and Ross’s home-spun charm I always used to find mesmerising and relaxing...
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Delighted to find BBC4 are rebroadcasting the legendary series of programmes with Bob Ross painting nature scenes etc.

Whatever one thinks of the final works ... the process and Ross’s home-spun charm I always used to find mesmerising and relaxing...
                        Well thanks for that! I didn't know whether to boggle at what he was doing with his 2" brushes and a scraper or to gag at his 'happy little' presentation! I know for certain that if I tried...the painting I mean...it would be horrific, whereas he obviously has a big talent. I know that many art teachers say anyone can do it. I don't think so, any more than a person born with little innate musical feeling can ever learn to play or sing at more than a basic level. (Discuss.) We are often quite amused as a family that none of us, bar one g-kid, has the slightest aptitude for drawing or painting. People find it strange that some musicians, with all their sensitivity and artistry, can be so lacking in the ability to put anything apart from notes on paper. Having said that, as a little boy, my own piano teacher was a keen amateur artist, and won some sort of local art competition with an oil portrait of my big sister. The big sis absolutely hated it and refused to take possession of it when we had to empty our old parents' house. So it/she sits glowering in our attic while she resides (in person) at a safe distance in Norway! I haven't the heart to chuck it out, so maybe I'll remove it from the frame, roll it up and get on a plane one day......

I've rambled, but I did enjoy the programme. Maybe I won't look for another though.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

An epic journey from summit to valley as a shepherd gathers his sheep off Scafell Pike.

Totally agree - mesmerising. Talk about taking one's life in one's hands AS A JOB. And that's REAL work. V.humbling when you think what many of us think of as 'work'. Just climbing to get UP to the sheep....!!!
                          Last edited by DracoM; 24-04-20, 12:45.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                            Well thanks for that! I didn't know whether to boggle at what he was doing with his 2" brushes and a scraper or to gag at his 'happy little' presentation! I know for certain that if I tried...the painting I mean...it would be horrific, whereas he obviously has a big talent. I know that many art teachers say anyone can do it. I don't think so, any more than a person born with little innate musical feeling can ever learn to play or sing at more than a basic level. (Discuss.) We are often quite amused as a family that none of us, bar one g-kid, has the slightest aptitude for drawing or painting. People find it strange that some musicians, with all their sensitivity and artistry, can be so lacking in the ability to put anything apart from notes on paper. Having said that, as a little boy, my own piano teacher was a keen amateur artist, and won some sort of local art competition with an oil portrait of my big sister. The big sis absolutely hated it and refused to take possession of it when we had to empty our old parents' house. So it/she sits glowering in our attic while she resides (in person) at a safe distance in Norway! I haven't the heart to chuck it out, so maybe I'll remove it from the frame, roll it up and get on a plane one day......

I've rambled, but I did enjoy the programme. Maybe I won't look for another though.
                            My wife said with a voice like that he should on a sex telephone line.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Another series about features of these islands in the unassuming style which is so welcome at the moment

The first one last week was about Norfolk.

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Another series about features of these islands in the unassuming style which is so welcome at the moment

The first one last week was about Norfolk.
                                My great aunt lived in East Dereham and when I visited her I would often be found in the garden, past which trains to and from King's Lynn ran.

Comment

Working...
                                X