• Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Greatly enjoying Good Omens on BBC2.
    So am I.

Some very deft & witty touches in episode 2
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Slightly disappointed in the final episode of 'The Trial of Christine Keeler'. It was inevitable that the ending would be an anti-climax but the final quarter of an hour of male-bashing was surely over the top and in retrospect ended up looking like the agenda for the series in the first place. Nevertheless, fine performances throughout from Sophie Cookson, Ellie Bamber and James Norton.

The Tom Mangold programme on BBC2 was interesting but didn't really offer anything new. The 'revelation' about Ernest Marples is something I, for one, have been aware of for some years.

I see that the Stephen Ward appeal was turned down in 2017 with the papers not being accessible until 2046! Clearly, someone at the top still needs protection from potentially damaging revelations. I wonder who that could possibly be?
      Last edited by Petrushka; 28-01-20, 00:57.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Two programmes on the Windemere Children tonight. The first on BBC2, https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...rmere-children and the second on BBC FOUR, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dt7g . Both are highly recommended.

Also on BBC FOUR was https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...g-human-nature . Towards the end, I was reminded of discussions with an epidemiologist friend, back in 1980. He was working on Sickle Cell anemia and explained how it had its advantages in that it acted as protection against malaria. Another strongly recommended programme.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

The 5th series of 'Inside No. 9' starts on BBC 2 on February 3rd.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            The 5th series of 'Inside No. 9' starts on BBC 2 on February 3rd.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              Slightly disappointed in the final episode of 'The Trial of Christine Keeler'. It was inevitable that the ending would be an anti-climax but the final quarter of an hour of male-bashing was surely over the top and in retrospect ended up looking like the agenda for the series in the first place. Nevertheless, fine performances throughout from Sophie Cookson, Ellie Bamber and James Norton.

The Tom Mangold programme on BBC2 was interesting but didn't really offer anything new. The 'revelation' about Ernest Marples is something I, for one, have been aware of for some years.

I see that the Stephen Ward appeal was turned down in 2017 with the papers not being accessible until 2046! Clearly, someone at the top still needs protection from potentially damaging revelations. I wonder who that could possibly be?
              I don't think we realised the full extent of the establishment cover-up, and the lengths that were gone to to frame Ward, and do over Keeler - did we? I dimly remember about Marples....Yes the last episode of the drama was an anti-climax, but I found Mangold's programme riveting.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                I don't think we realised the full extent of the establishment cover-up, and the lengths that were gone to to frame Ward, and do over Keeler - did we? I dimly remember about Marples....Yes the last episode of the drama was an anti-climax, but I found Mangold's programme riveting.
                Perhaps I do Tom Mangold an injustice as I've been steeped in reading about the case in the past few weeks especially, Richard Davenport-Hines https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Aff...s%2C182&sr=1-1 and Caroline Kennedy/Phillip Knightley https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Est...s%2C294&sr=1-1

There's enough stuff on youTube as well.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

One of the more startling moments was Robert McKenzie's interview with Lord Hailsham, as he still was - Hailsham sitting there, a little bundle of fury, his temples practically throbbing at being asked such "stupid" questions. It seemed to be partly fury at the questions, partly anger at the moral turpitude of the people and things under discussion, and partly patrician disdain at the indignity of being interviewed at all. The ever urbane McKenzie, who was a lot cleverer than Hailsham, remained unperturbed. Somewhere - it must be in The Pigeon Tunnel, which has no index, as I can't find it in Sisman - John Le Carré recounts a similar experience on finding himself sitting next to Hailsham/Hogg at a dinner. The man was borderline bonkers.

Nice to see those gorgeous interiors at the start of the Daily Express building in Fleet Street - a building to which I have a strong family connection

Comment

• Constantbee
                    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    In a nutshell, RT The story makes great telly: plenty to look at, too, with a strong retro 60's vibe like big hair and neat womens' suits. Lloyd Webber's Stephen Ward The Musical completely passed me by, sorry I missed it, but the man certainly has an enduring appeal. Should have been a one act opera. Psychologising about the possible social precursors to Ms.Keiler's profession is something relatively modern in drama, thinking here about the references to childhood abuse and the abortion. That sort of reasoning would not have washed with the establishment of the day, of course. Yes, Tom Mangold's programme was indeed riveting.
                    And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• Constantbee
                      • Jul 2017

White House Farm ITV 6 Part Drama Part 4 airs on Wednesday 29 January.
                      An engrossing real life crime reconstruction of the Jeremy Bamber 1985 multiple murder conviction, a thoroughly grizzly affair, as you may recall. The series has already attracted some criticism from police officers involved in the case for overstating the clashes between the detectives involved in evaluating the conflicting available forensic evidence used to identify the killer, which can’t be helpful, and a reminder of the stresses that major cases like these that attract a lot of media attention place on police forces. Definitely worth watching, though
                      And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• Pianoman
                        • Jan 2013

I'm enjoying this, even though we all know what happens. Just goes to show that 'true crime' stuff, if well done, is more gripping than fiction. Comparing this to 'Deadwater Fell' just proves this imo - plot holes, cliche piled on cliche, good actors wasted, whereas the Bamber one, though inevitably biased, has a morbid fascination and inevitability.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

I've become increasingly irritated with the BBC recently for various reasons (BBC News wasting money sending correspondents to cover stories that could be dealt with by local reporters, increasing alienation of older viewers in the search for younger ones ....) but then they broadcast something like The Windermere Children and I forgive them. This was heart-breaking but ultimately inspiring. The contrast between the beauty of the scenery and the horror of what the children had been through was emphasized to just the right extent. As for the last 5 minutes .....

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                            • Jan 2014

......they broadcast...... something like The Windermere Children ....... This was heart-breaking but ultimately inspiring. The contrast between the beauty of the scenery and the horror of what the children had been through was emphasized to just the right extent. As for the last 5 minutes .....
                            Totally agree. I came in at the last 20 minutes and will watch it again from the start.

I don't think it has been mentioned, but I was similarly impressed with "Belsen, our story" - some of the few still living survivors giving their testimony - including a full contribution from Anita Lasker-Wallfisch. I find it hard to find the right words in saying anything more - undeniably harrowing as we have experienced programs about the Holocaust in previous years, but that would be no reason why a new documentary should not be welcomed. I thought it well done, with the contributors given time to fully express what had happened to them. I'll be recommending it to my daughters, (they are in their 20's) as it takes in a survey of the horror of the Holocaust as well, but the one positive is how these contributors carried on and lived a life with success....

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

'Inside No. 9' Series 5 Episode 1 - crackling no-holds-barred script (that had quite a lot to say about the current state of the 'beautiful game) brilliantly delivered by all concerned. Excellent performance by David Morrissey. The title of the series has rarely been quite so apt as it was here.

Comment

• gradus
                                • Nov 2010

'Inside No. 9' Series 5 Episode 1 - crackling no-holds-barred script (that had quite a lot to say about the current state of the 'beautiful game) brilliantly delivered by all concerned. Excellent performance by David Morrissey. The title of the series has rarely been quite so apt as it was here.
                                My view too.

Comment

Working...
                                X