• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    No...The Two Popes (with Hopkins) was an entirely different Netflix production.... the first HBO/Sky Atlantic series was titled The Young Pope - The New Pope ​is its successor.
    Ah yes I was referring to The Young Pope - which was a hoot - ....but I suffered from a temporary delusion that Hopkins was in it. Must be conflating Westworld, which I saw around the same time in the same company, with recent publicity for the Netflix production you mention, which I haven’t seen.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

No-one else in a fever of anticipation about this?
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

First 2 eps tonight. One of the most moving, funny, provoking, visually and verbally striking dramas of the last ten years, whose cast list now includes John Malkovich, Sharon Stone and....wait for it....Marilyn Manson. The Devil really is in the detail here.

From series one....
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_vhwZZjgac
      It's not really worth my while getting excited about it, seeing as I have no means of watching it!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Ah yes I was referring to The Young Pope - which was a hoot - ....but I suffered from a temporary delusion that Hopkins was in it. Must be conflating Westworld, which I saw around the same time in the same company, with recent publicity for the Netflix production you mention, which I haven’t seen.
        I "reviewed" The Two Popes here

Tho the new series The New Pope also appears to have two popes in it

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

I suspect that contributed to my confusion
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            It's not really worth my while getting excited about it, seeing as I have no means of watching it!
            Go see the Snowcats and your soul will be soothed....
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 12-01-20, 22:31.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

I "reviewed" The Two Popes here

I have enough trouble observing to the teaching of one Pope never mind two.

Comment

• Constantbee
                • Jul 2017

No...The Two Popes (with Hopkins) was an entirely different Netflix production.... the first HBO/Sky Atlantic series was titled The Young Pope - The New Pope ​is its successor.

I loved this coupla programmes, but then all catlovers would, wouldn't they....
                Gordon Buchanan helps Dr Victor Lukarevsky as he tries to rescue and rehabilitate lynx.

Buchanan is a very engaging presenter, knowledgeable, affectionate and communicative, and we got as many long, loving lingering shots of the big kitties as we could desire...
                Is there a more beautiful animal on the planet? I have a lovely big cuddly-toy Lynx and when I'm at home it goes wherever I go.

We have a cat who assures me his karma in life is to be reincarnated as a lynx

I stopped buying Spanish strawberries when I found out that irrigation schemes for strawberry farms were draining water away from Doñana region and threatening the livelihood of the Iberian Lynx, now one of the rarest cats on earth.
                And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  I have enough trouble observing to the teaching of one Pope never mind two.
                  Reminds me of the Reverend Ian Paisley coming home one day and saying to his wife: 'WHAT EXACTLY IS THAT UNUSUAL SMELL IN THE LIVING ROOM, DEAR?' She replies, 'It's a new fragrant plant material in the bowl there that I just bought.' To which Ian replied, 'WE'LL HAVE NO POTPOURRI HERE!'

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    [COLOR="#0000FF"]The latter is indirectly one reason I too have been intrigued by this dramatisation, and glad of the level of detail. (I am finding it very well done, including James Norton who I usually find more wooden than the surrounding furniture but who seems somehow right as the strange Stephen Ward with all his socialite veneer).
                    I loved the quote from Mervyn Griffith-Jones, for the prosecution - "He gave her a pony. That's the sum of £25, not the diminuitive horse".

Norton the best I've seen him. We have Tom Mangold's documentary to look forward to as well.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

I loved the quote from Mervyn Griffith-Jones, for the prosecution - "He gave her a pony. That's the sum of £25, not the diminuitive horse".

Norton the best I've seen him. We have Tom Mangold's documentary to look forward to as well.
                      Very much looking forward to the latter.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

'Real Crime and Punishment- The Prosecutors' - BBC 4 TV
                        Three-part series documenting the work of the Crown Prosecution Service, following a number of cases over an 18-month period and focusing on three different parts of the process.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Mangold's piece in the latest issue of Radio Times is well worth a read. Surprised he's not written a book about the Profumo Affair considering his closeness to the action. The series is one of the best dramas the BBC has done in years and, even though we all know how it ends, it's gripping stuff. James Norton is excellent as is Sophie Cookson but Ellie Bamber as Mandy Rice-Davies has a gift of a role and doesn't disappoint.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• muzzer
                            • Nov 2013

I’ve not been as gripped, I’m afraid. I think the performances are fine as far as they go but I can’t quite get over the locations all obviously being not in London. The sandstone and hills give it away as Bristol. It doesn’t quite have the flavour of the seat of power that the story revolves around,

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Mangold's piece in the latest issue of Radio Times is well worth a read. Surprised he's not written a book about the Profumo Affair considering his closeness to the action. The series is one of the best dramas the BBC has done in years and, even though we all know how it ends, it's gripping stuff. James Norton is excellent as is Sophie Cookson but Ellie Bamber as Mandy Rice-Davies has a gift of a role and doesn't disappoint.
                              I though ep 5 was very moving, Norton dignified in his fatality, but what shame it had to end at that point... waiting 7 days seems perverse following that....hardly a cliffhanger is it? Without the green button, perhaps a double-length finale would have been better...

The New Pope has indeed proved compelling, a level of scripted, acted, beautifully photographed and directed excellence rarely seen on TV....like a feature film from a classic 60/70s Italian Director.... but they're treading a fine line between creative freedom and wilful, sub-plotting fantasy, perhaps trying a bit too hard to subvert expectation.......
                              Series One was a very focussed tale, on the Young Pope who is revisionist, but retro-revisionist, insisting on much stricter Catholic Traditions being observed, no matter what the potential alienation...

John Malkovich a screen magnet, just as Jude Law (The Young Pope, still in a coma) was. I hope this doesn't lose itself in the (admittedly riveting) more fantastical storyline tributaries.... excellent theme song though ("Good Time Girl") encapsulating the series' essence in its chaste sensuality....
                              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 23-01-20, 02:38.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Greatly enjoying Good Omens on BBC2.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X