• Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Fascinating, Cali
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      ...I could read about this much quicker - I don't need to have a portrayal of events in order to gain understanding. TV and film producers do have a vested interest in trying to feed us stuff, so they're not necessarily going to keep things as short as possible.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        Fascinating, Cali
        Fascinating indeed. All I can offer is that my grandfather knew George Wigg very well
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Channel 4: Weds 8 Jan - 10pm Apocalypse Cow: How Meat killed the Planet

Hosted by George Monbiot, this looked well worth watching for some presently much-needed good news, although as it happens I only caught the second half of the programme, dealing with new foodstuffs producible from soil bacteria allegededly easily capable of feeding the entire human population of the globe; deer culling in the Scottish Highlands to allow natural re-forestation (but why can't they feed them contraceptives rather than shoot them?); an Oxfordshire farmer who is managing to produce large potato yields by using the naturally surrounding weeds for composting purposes; and a re-greened area of the Netherlands which has been returned to biodiversity and has become a thriving haven for wildlife in 25 years.

I'll try and find the recording tomorrow and watch the whole thing.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Hosted by George Monbiot, this looked well worth watching for some presently much-needed good news, although as it happens I only caught the second half of the programme, dealing with new foodstuffs producible from soil bacteria allegededly easily capable of feeding the entire human population of the globe; deer culling in the Scottish Highlands to allow natural re-forestation (but why can't they feed them contraceptives rather than shoot them?); an Oxfordshire farmer who is managing to produce large potato yields by using the naturally surrounding weeds for composting purposes; and a re-greened area of the Netherlands which has been returned to biodiversity and has become a thriving haven for wildlife in 25 years.

Erm, logistics? They are ranging over several thousand acres of land and eating what grows on that land - how would you 'feed them contraceptives'?
            This book - 'Wilding: the Return of Nature to a British Farm' by Isabella Tree - is worth reading in its own right but particularly so for anyone who has watched the documentary and would like to know more about the issues involved.
            The documentary covered rather too much in a short space but did avoid vegan sensationalism and dogma, and offered some rather more positive views of the way forward than has been the case of late.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

For anybody who missed, and would like to watch or record, this programme, it's repeated on 4Seven at 0020 tomorrow (Friday).

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

The potato story is perhaps an example of farmers doing what many home vegetable growers do already. Why waste annual weeds?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                  The potato story is perhaps an example of farmers doing what many home vegetable growers do already. Why waste annual weeds?
                  Because, as Dot Cotton might say, people are manured to doing that?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Compost mentis.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Compost mentis.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Currently watching Baby Chimp Rescue on BBC Two. Highly recommended

A couple unexpectedly become surrogate parents to 21 orphaned baby chimpanzees.

First of 3 episodes.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Oops! Searching again, I find that Blood for Dracula is, after all, to be found on YouTube:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

the 3D Flesh for Frankenstein is at:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

You may need to confirm you are over 18 years old.
                          I have just watched the YouTube version of Blood for Dracula. It has a rather better picture quality than the commercial DVD I have. The self-proclaimed influence on Paul Morrisey of Gerald Thomas, of Carry On fame, is on full display. Oh, and the final section with the axe has some Miraculous Mandarin parody music to accompany it.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

'Welcome To HMP Belmarsh' documentary with Ross Kemp on ITV last night. It's on catch up.

Comment

• gradus
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                              'Welcome To HMP Belmarsh' documentary with Ross Kemp on ITV last night. It's on catch up.
                              A similar context featured this week in Gareth Malone's latest attempt to get people singing. this time in the young offenders prison at Aylesbury. Depressing to hear and see what has happened to so many young men but also moving when his efforts succeeded in finding a handful who were willing to give music - other than Drill - a go.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

The BBC 2 - This Fishing Life - 1/6 was last Tuesday - looks like a realistic look at the state of the industry in Cornwall - good times and much hardship too!

Comment

Working...
                                X