• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    It seems as good a place as any. It is a General Arts thread.
    Yes - and they are sort-of "Television" companies. I think ... ? (More like telly than cinema, anyway.)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Jonathan
      • Mar 2007

Well, many moons ago I did mention "Lucifer" which is on Netflix (having previously been on Amazon prime)...
      Best regards,
      Jonathan

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

'Lost Home Movies of Nazi Germany'
        Amateur footage that offers new insights into life in Germany during World War II.

On this occasion the 'health warning' ("may upset some viewers") was a massive understatement, and I shouldn't have watched the last 10 or 15 minutes.
        Much of the footage is not what I would call 'home movies', being amateur film of the progress of the war, but the atrocities in Russia certainly are a whole other category altogether. I wish I could deep clean my memory banks...
        Deeply disturbing, and depressing considering the extent to which such things are still, in one form or another, happening today.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Anyone else peed off with excessive noisy BBC trailers?

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

'Lost Home Movies of Nazi Germany'
            Thanks for the warning odders. I might give it a miss, being a sensitive soul.

Anyone else peed off with excessive noisy BBC trailers?
            Yep. But it's nothing new. The mute button on our remote is quite worn.

Comment

• burning dog
              • Dec 2010

Re Jessie Owens and Hiltler

"A month after the Olympic Games, Owens told a crowd, “Hitler didn’t snub me—it was [Roosevelt] who snubbed me. The president didn’t even send me a telegram.” Roosevelt never publicly acknowledged Owens’s triumphs—or the triumphs of any of the 18 African Americans who competed at the Berlin Olympics. Only white Olympians were invited to the White House in 1936."

Let Freedom Ring
              Last edited by burning dog; 30-12-19, 09:10.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Not the ideal thread due to a major criticism but I have been watching "In Search of Dracula with Mark Gatiss" Lots of fun, with interesting examples of past adaptations, but unless I happened to miss it, no mention of my favourite Dracula film, Paul Morrisey's Blood for Dracula, nominally produced by Andy Warhol with Mafia financing. Though available on DVD, it is not, unlike its companion film, Flesh for Frankenstein, to be found, complete, on YouTube. If you fancy trying the latter, the YouTube version is of a blue/amber conversion of the original polarized 3D (I recall recording this fro the Channel 4 3D season a few years back. Suitable glasses can be purchased via Amazon or eBay.
                Last edited by Bryn; 04-01-20, 01:36. Reason: Typos

Comment

• alywin
                  • Apr 2011

Oh curses, it clashed with the news and I forgot to turn over afterwards. It *is* repeated at some ungodly hour next week, though.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Oops! Searching again, I find that Blood for Dracula is, after all, to be found on YouTube:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

the 3D Flesh for Frankenstein is at:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

You may need to confirm you are over 18 years old.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by alywin View Post
                      Oh curses, it clashed with the news and I forgot to turn over afterwards. It *is* repeated at some ungodly hour next week, though.
                      Which programme are you referring to?

Comment

• Anastasius
                        • Mar 2015

Is no-one watching Dracula ? I'm thoroughly enjoying it and it's a refreshingly different take on the old tropes. Despite what Steven Berkoff wrote in the Time - which to my mind smacked of sour grapes.
                        Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                          Is no-one watching Dracula ? I'm thoroughly enjoying it and it's a refreshingly different take on the old tropes.
                          Yes - tremendous fun. (Moffatt has definitely got a "thing" about cremation, though - the "corpse in agony as it burns" idea was used in Dark Water/Death in Heaven as well!)

And I also greatly enjoyed the Gatiss documentary that Bryn mentioned and alywin referred to - very glad to be reminded of the 1977 Louis Jourdan adaptation, too.

Comment

• Pianoman
                            • Jan 2013

Maybe Gatiss is spreading himself a bit thin though, with all these commissions. I say this having watched 'Martin's Close', his latest MR James adaptation, which was terrifying in its NON-scariness. In fact, it paled beside the classics from the 70s - or maybe it's because all the best James stories had already been done back then?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                              Maybe Gatiss is spreading himself a bit thin though, with all these commissions. I say this having watched 'Martin's Close', his latest MR James adaptation, which was terrifying in its NON-scariness.
                              Yes - rather too close to The Trial of Elizabeth Gadge from the second of the marvellous Inside Number 9 series (itself cheekily alluded to in episode 2 of the Dracula adaptation) - which was much scarier!

Gatiss made a better effort with The Tractate Middoth a few years ago. His affectionate documentary on James from that time was a success, too:

Mark Gatiss steps into the mind of M.R. James, English master of the supernatural story.

Comment

• Braunschlag
                                • Jul 2017

Thumbs up to Dracula here, a real hoot! Stylish and expensively produced if nothing else. The crematorium scene gave me the creeps! Made up for War of the Worlds which fizzled out in a wash of red screen.
                                For Babylon Berlin fans I believe the next season starts on January 24th on Sky/NOW, can’t wait for that although it won’t be the same without the crooked copper (assuming he didn’t survive the train incineration).

Comment

Working...
                                X