Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... I'm surprized how much I've been enjoying Mortimer & Whitehouse : Gone Fishing. The locations and photography have been glorious - but it is the relationship between the two of them that keeps me returning. And a moving encounter with another old man, dying of cancer, on the banks of the Tay...

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...d-a-generation
      A very absorbing and nostalgic portrait of Woodstock - that extraordinary 1969 event.
      I wasn't really looking forward to another film about Woodstock, kb, but I loved this. It was a brilliantly constructed and very moving film and all the better for the small amount of music used. The old footage looked so intimate. Great stuff.

On another subject, on BBC2 tonight, if you haven't seen it before, the two-parter about Billy Connolly 'Made in Scotland' is showing. I've seen both episodes a couple of times, but I'll probably dip in again. A lovingly made tribute to the great man.

Comment

• Braunschlag
        • Jul 2017

Bauhaus 100 - looks worth your time if the Dieter Rams programme was anything to go on last night (I skipped the Vic Reeves one). Excellent olde skool documentary, almost slow tv in places (especially when he’s out in his garden trimming the bonsai), but certainly none the worse for that. Bring back the days when Hi fi looked good and simply did it’s job. Less is better - thanks Dieter, a great maxim.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing Series 2 - BBC 2.

Wonderful entertainment!

Comment

• LezLee
            • Apr 2019

I'm enjoying the STV news where Libby Wiener (cue gales of Teutonic laughter) is talking to a magnificent man called Reinhardt Bütihofer who's sporting mounds of grey curls and is a sort of advanced Richard Griffiths.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing Series 2 - BBC 2.

Wonderful entertainment!
              They are a most entertaining pair, Stanfordian. Bob's take on the Titanic on the wee fishing boat as they came into shore on the River Tay was very funny. However, the Tay episode saw them drive through the roads of Highland Perthshire and I found it a bit discomforting as you saw them go along a road and then end up in a totally different bit of the area. Wasn't quite sure why they decided play the first hole at Dunkeld Golf Course, but that's tv, I suppose. Some stunning views.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

I'm enjoying on Sky Sports the third series of the Salford City documentary 'Class of ’92: Full Time'

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

A programme I found fascinating, funny, and just beautiful was the Natural World programme "The Octopus in My House" shown on BBC2 last week. The presenter seems more than a little bit "gee whizz!" on first acquaintance, but this appears to be a genuine part of his personality (rather than a patronising attempt to keep my attention) - and the amount of information I didn't previously know packed into an hour made it one of the best documentaries I've seen. Highly recommended - and available for another three weeks:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    A programme I found fascinating, funny, and just beautiful was the Natural World programme "The Octopus in My House" shown on BBC2 last week. The presenter seems more than a little bit "gee whizz!" on first acquaintance, but this appears to be a genuine part of his personality (rather than a patronising attempt to keep my attention) - and the amount of information I didn't previously know packed into an hour made it one of the best documentaries I've seen. Highly recommended - and available for another three weeks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...us-in-my-house
                    I found it most enjoyable - and the fact I fell asleep after about 40 mins, and so didn't see it all, is due to health issues not the quality of the programme! It's worth watching just for the astonishing footage of the way an octopus can change not only its colour but also its shape/skin texture almost instantly.
                    Some might be uncomfortable with the 'pet' aspect, but the interaction between the daughter and the octopus was rather touching I thought.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

A programme I found fascinating, funny, and just beautiful was the Natural World programme "The Octopus in My House" shown on BBC2 last week. The presenter seems more than a little bit "gee whizz!" on first acquaintance, but this appears to be a genuine part of his personality (rather than a patronising attempt to keep my attention) - and the amount of information I didn't previously know packed into an hour made it one of the best documentaries I've seen. Highly recommended...
                      ... yes, loved it.

What I found so sad was learning from this programme how short-lived octopuses are - one or two years. That such extraordinary creatures with their amazing abilities (the millisecond changing of colour and texture of skin not the least... ) should only be around for such a short time just seems - such a waste!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        Some might be uncomfortable with the 'pet' aspect, but the interaction between the daughter and the octopus was rather touching I thought.
                        Yes - that discomfort was at the back of my mind throughout, and yes, the daughter/cephalopoda interaction was lovely (as was the father/daughter relationship).

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        What I found so sad was learning from this programme how short-lived octopuses are - one or two years. That such extraordinary creatures with their amazing abilities (the millisecond changing of colour and texture of skin not the least... ) should only be around for such a short time just seems - such a waste!
                        Indeed.

I was also left wondering about the octopus' hearing ability: could it hear the bell when it summoned the humans, or was it just the connection of pulling the string = human appears?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Yes - that discomfort was at the back of my mind throughout, and yes, the daughter/cephalopoda interaction was lovely (as was the father/daughter relationship).

Indeed.

I was also left wondering about the octopus' hearing ability: could it hear the bell when it summoned the humans, or was it just the connection of pulling the string = human appears?
                          It had an important lesson on how to go by tube without getting crushed, too.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

One ends up feeling so sorry for the Octopus....
                              Mmm, octopus. In her classic book, Flavours of Greece, Rosemary Barron suggests that the cephalopod be lightly grilled over charcoal, having first been

We need to protect their environment, leave them where they belong, and protect them..... so much better for us and our World in the medium and long term....

The poor Octopus in its tank....Can't help thinking of Daniel Feeld's head in Dennis Potter's Cold Lazarus....
                              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 29-08-19, 20:01.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Indeed.

The thought did cross my mind that the octopus was having its revenge for being cooped up in the tank; ringing the bell throughout the night certainly caused the humans some problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X