• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    Before a Heist repeat, how about a repeat of the BBC's 1970 Sartre adaptation Roads To Freedom, which a lot of people have been clamouring for for years?
    That was great wasn't it? Worth a remake, never mind a repeat.... now, what about casting....?

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Jools Holland from the Empress Ballroom Blackpool (BBC 4 2000 tonight) - hugely entertaining and exhilarating, 60 minutes of pure musical joie de vivre. Ruby Turner was sensational.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Beautiful programme on BBC2 last night at 9 pm. on again tonight at 8, "Humpback Whales - a detective story" about a wildlife cameraman trying to find out more about the whale which breached on top of his canoe during a whale watching trip in Monterey Bay. Quite apart from the extraordinary things we learn about the whales, he meets some inspirational people who have dedicated their lives to the animals. His quest reaches a surprisingly satisfactory conclusion. Highly recommended.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Yes, I have that programmed for tonight, along with the Bowie thing, also on BBC2...

Ever been really close to a Whale yourself, Richard? (I know you're a much-travelled Naturalist...)... I always longed to but now wonder if it will ever happen...it must be somewhere in the spiritual realm...

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Yes, I have that programmed for tonight, along with the Bowie thing, also on BBC2...

Ever been really close to a Whale yourself, Richard? (I know you're a much-travelled Naturalist...)... I always longed to but now wonder if it will ever happen...it must be somewhere in the spiritual realm...
            I (who am not Richard!) am hoping to fit a whale-watching trip into the next couple of years. I have not yet researched opportunities - but Sri Lanka attracts (as I've been there and liked it).

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

No, sadly - I have a very dim memory of seeing whales when I was 3 from the deck of a troopship, returning from Hong Kong with my mother in 1952....I keep going out on "pelagic" trips from Milford Haven, fin and minke whales turn up from time to time but it's the luck of the draw. I have been really close to a sunfish, albeit smaller than the one you'll see in this film - mine was about the size of a dustbin lid

Comment

• Braunschlag
                • Jul 2017

For Nordic/Scandi lovers I see there’s a bit of a glut on its way next week, an avalanche no less.

Trapped series 2 next Saturday for closet claustrophobics (no offence Richard T - by the way Richard, I once went round the Bavaria Filmstadt studios which included a tour through the U Boat used in the original Das Boot and you are spot-on, there really is no room for a kitten even before you swing it, lord knows what it was really like).

Greyzone, C4 Wednesday. Looks good with some very familiar faces.

Anyone seen Bordertown? (Netflix). A bit dour at times and you wonder why a cop would end up with his family being.......(I won’t spoil it).

Crimson River anyone - worth it for the impetuous and wonderfully rude detective, Morse on steroids.
                And finally, The Break ( now into series 2).

I’d get out more but I can’t find my coat.......

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
                  Trapped series 2 next Saturday..

Greyzone, C4 Wednesday. Looks good with some very familiar faces.

(Although sadly it looks like only the first ep of Greyzone is on C4, one has to resort to the annoying 'hub' for the rest... )

Don't know of the others you mention, will investigate

And more internationally (but on BBC1), Baptiste from The Missing returns on Saturday 17th in a six-parter called Shell: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0c47sx7 Tom Hollander involved too, never a bad thing.

Preview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...eview-baptiste
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

That "Humpback Whales - a detective story" on BBC2 was an absolutely wonderful film, the bright-eyed presenter/film-maker really knew how to connect the Californian locals' passion and obsessive love for these wonderful creatures to their deep scientific understanding (always including their own animal companions as he introduced them all - a lovely touch). Direction was never too jumpy - lots of lingering shots of the Whales themselves. Even if you've seen similar films before, don't miss this one. So much urgency about climate and the environment made it seem essential viewing.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

That "Humpback Whales - a detective story" on BBC2 was an absolutely wonderful film, the bright-eyed presenter/film-maker really knew how to connect the Californian locals' passion and obsessive love for these wonderful creatures to their deep scientific understanding (always including their own animal companions as he introduced them all - a lovely touch). Direction was never too jumpy - lots of lingering shots of the Whales themselves. Even if you've seen similar films before, don't miss this one. So much urgency about climate and the environment made it seem essential viewing.
                      It was excellent that they repeated it last night. Let's hope many more people watched it, as a result.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Watching Daytime TV - OK don’t ask why - it is a series called Collectaholics - now I am half expecting - weel maybe not but eligibilty would figure - for one of our CDs Anonymous to appear with their house full of recorded music!

...and has anyone noticed that the incidental music borrows more than a liitle from Mahler!
                        Last edited by cloughie; 11-02-19, 17:36.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Last night I watched the second in a series of Channel 4 programmes under the title "How the Other Kids Live", having greatly enjoyed the previous week. Each programme, of one hour's duration, shows three families of widely varying culture and income, swapping a day in each other's domestic surrounds, the children of the first two programmes being aged between 6 and 14 or so.

The cultural range could hardly have been broader: of the thee families in Programme 1, one Muslim, the second Roman Catholic and the third Pentecostalists; and the second, all based in the Bristol area, a single-parent disabled mum on benefits, a well-to-do family, and the third run on what might be considered liberal bohemian values. Most heartening of all in these troubling times were the genuinely enlightened attitudes regarding "difference" that had undoubtedly been promulgated in all the children by each parent, all, regardless of age, taking differences in matters of culture, food, clothing, religious observances and even fundamental beliefs for granted, with ethnicity never mentioned. Perhaps one should not be surprised if 9-year old mindsets have not yet hardened. Equally heartening was the success of each and every one of the stand-in parents in coping with any insecurities or anxieties a child was experiencing in strange surrounds, using gentleness and simple ways of diversion. The categorical misunderstandings understandable in children of any age - one little girl distinguishing her own Catholicism from another's which she described as Christian as one example - were all diluted by a common unstated assumption of togetherness being the primary goal of living together and getting on - the same child, when all was said and done, just simply remarking "Well, we just do things differently", beautifully summed up the encounters.

With last night's parting shot of one small girl in the car on the homeward journey declaring to her mum that she wanted the encounter to mark the start of a friendships she wanted to last forever, the hopes of any narrowminded types bemoaning of multiculturalism who might have been watching with prejaundiced eyes, would have been found wanting.

Comment

• Padraig
                            • Feb 2013

Not a film but...

It's claimed this is the first time the rare animal has been photographed in Africa in a century.

... not a Television programme either...

... so there you are.
                            Last edited by Padraig; 13-02-19, 17:45. Reason: c'est la vie

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Netflix - we're most of the way through the first series of made-for-Netflix series The Kominsky Method, with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin - brilliant, razor sharp script and superb performances from Douglas, Arkin and strong supporting cast.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

WILLIAMS: FORMULA ONE IN THE BLOOD (BBC2) was an absolutely wonderful film by Morgan Matthews, full of life and love, obsessive passion: pulling no punches about family conflict and tragedy - Frank Williams' own high-speed accident (which left him paraplegic), the deaths of Piers Courage and Ayrton Senna. I would almost put it on the same lofty level as Asif Kapadia's remarkable portrait of Senna himself - and it's just as upsetting when the story reaches that point; especially if, like me, you remember that day all too vividly. (Remember that poignant shot from the circling helicopter...? The sense of heartbreak has scarcely faded... )

Compulsive for motor racing fans, but I still recommend it to anyone - reminding us just how dangerous (and frequently fatal) the sport once was, the many people it touched and moved, it has that wider, human-made-story appeal.

In-depth documentary looking at the life and career of Sir Frank Williams.
                                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 18-02-19, 09:37.

Comment

Working...
                                X