Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

I think that Martin Clunes is good value on TV and 'Manhunt' which finishes its three-evening run tonight has been very interesting so far. I didn't know about the case that the programme is about, following a murder in Twickenham in 2004. Good cast and Clunes has been doing a fine job as the central character. It's certainly giving Mrs C fewer nightmares than 'Luther' did recently.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 08-01-19, 19:25.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      I think that Martin Clunes is good value on TV and 'Manhunt' which finishes its three-evening run tonight has been very interesting so far. I didn't know about the case that the programme is outab, following a murder in Twickenham in 2004. Good cast and Clunes has been doing a fine job as the central character. It's certainly giving Mrs C fewer nightmares than 'Luther' did recently.
      Apparently there is quite a lot of controversity around this programme: the Dowlers and the family of the girl murdered in Gunnersbury Park saying insufficient time has been allowed to elapse.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Apparently there is quite a lot of controversity around this programme: the Dowlers and the family of the girl murdered in Gunnersbury Park saying insufficient time has been allowed to elapse.
        Interesting, S_A; I didn't know that. I feel that it is being handled in a fairly low-key fashion in the drama.

Comment

• edashtav
          • Jul 2012

I have to confess to having enjoyed it, treating it as a sort of satire. Successfully bringing off the characterisations (apart from the Cumberbatch character, who was presented "straight"), since they were caricatures of readymade real-life caricatures, was probably going to be problematic in the first instance. I think the idea was to try to see the personalities involved from his unsympathetising but at the same time unsympathetic viewpoint, and that, too, was going to be difficult, since neither he nor they would come out of it with any semblance of principle or integrity. The unfolding plot rushed and convoluted all salient detail beyond the point of comprehensibility, though this may be because my wit is now dimmed, but the ending was mind-blowing, and I had to go outside and take a walk to re-compose myself.
          A brilliant drama and I agree with S_A's intelligent analysis.

Comment

• Conchis
            Banned
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Brexit - the Uncivil War: deeply, deeply disappointing, and such a surprise with a cast like that. Good Grief!
            James 'Knock 'Em Out' Graham is not a writer you go to if you're looking for perceptive analysis and the presence of Cumberbatch could only be a distraction. The fact that the other actor playing very prominent people looked nothing like their counterparts took it immediately into high camp territory.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Excellent discussion of Brexit: The Uncivil War with James Graham and my hero, Carole Cadwalladr (treated appallingly by both Banks and Farage)...here...

The TV drama is contentious – especially with the reporter who uncovered the dirty tricks employed during EU referendum. She and the playwright thrash out the issues

Comment

• edashtav
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                Excellent discussion of Brexit: The Uncivil War with James Graham and my hero, Carole Cadwalladr (treated appallingly by both Banks and Farage)...here...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...he-uncivil-war
                That's a fascinating interview, Jayne, providing a wealth of context. I enjoyed and was troubled by the programme. The interview has helped me sort some of the fiction n in its faction and that's important because issues vital to our polity have yet to be fully explored.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                  That's a fascinating interview, Jayne, providing a wealth of context. I enjoyed and was troubled by the programme. The interview has helped me sort some of the fiction in its faction and that's important because issues vital to our polity have yet to be fully explored.
                  Thanks to Carole and others we know quite a lot.... none of it good....
                  The inside story of our award-winning investigation into the political consulting firm and its use of Facebook profiles• Read our other top stories from 2018

etc etc...!
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 09-01-19, 17:58.

Comment

• edashtav
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    Thanks to Carole and others we know quite a lot.... none of it good....
                    The inside story of our award-winning investigation into the political consulting firm and its use of Facebook profiles• Read our other top stories from 2018

etc etc...!
                    And I know that I can't type accurately after guzzling italian beer! Fortunately, when both Italy and GB have left /been exiled from the EU such cheap booze will become unaffordable.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                      A brilliant drama and I agree with S_A's intelligent analysis.
                      I thought it was pretty good, even managing the odd spot of humour in what became an increasingly scary storyline. As has been pointed out, it's clearly a satire, but one with enough serious subject-matter to make the viewer think. As for changing anybody's mind - well, that ship sailed some time ago.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Manhunt - Clunes in fine form

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                            • Nov 2011

Agreed. Gripping stuff.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                              Agreed. Gripping stuff.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

I think that Martin Clunes is good value on TV and 'Manhunt' which finishes its three-evening run tonight has been very interesting so far. I didn't know about the case that the programme is about, following a murder in Twickenham in 2004. Good cast and Clunes has been doing a fine job as the central character. It's certainly giving Mrs C fewer nightmares than 'Luther' did recently.
                                Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                                Agreed. Gripping stuff.
                                + 1

I did wonder about how the factual aspects of the story - which I remember very clearly - had been fictionalised, and how the surviving relatives (it wasn't that long ago) might respond to this. Some TV Police Procedural clichés (the snappy boss in the office upstairs; the lead detective's frictious domestic life; the insider passing on information to the press; the grumpy young DS looking for promotion) gave it more of an air of fiction. I think these are valid reservations in what was nonetheless - as DubJim says - "gripping stuff".
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X