• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    Fascinating to see a Bloomsbury Group member (or at least an offspring of same) as a panellist in the latest edition: Quentin Bell, Virginia Woolf’s nephew (and biographer)
    Yes, it was good programme & QB's beard was a sight to behold (Brahmsian?).

BTW I don't think it was the episode advertised on BBC4's listings - "13/05/1976 With Patrick Campbell, Felicity Kendal, Simon Ward, Frank Muir and Penelope Keith.​" Possibly 10th or 17th of June 1976?

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... very much enjoying Kaos on netflix, with Jeff Goldblum playing Zeus as Jeff Goldblum, and a brilliantly icy Janet McTeer as Hera.

Created by Charlie Covell, who was also behind the excellent The End of the F***ing World back in 2017-2019.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... very much enjoying Kaos on netflix, with Jeff Goldblum playing Zeus as Jeff Goldblum, and a brilliantly icy Janet McTeer as Hera.

Created by Charlie Covell, who was also behind the excellent The End of the F***ing World back in 2017-2019.

That sounds interesting

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          Yes, it was good programme & QB's beard was a sight to behold (Brahmsian?).

BTW I don't think it was the episode advertised on BBC4's listings - "13/05/1976 With Patrick Campbell, Felicity Kendal, Simon Ward, Frank Muir and Penelope Keith." Possibly 10th or 17th of June 1976?
          The BBC4 listings for Call My Bluff are all over the place at present.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            Launched this on your recommendation - the prologue in the unmistakable tones of one of my favourite actors, Stephen Dillane as Prometheus, instantly drew me in. Shall pursue
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Possibly worth a look - 'Mozart: Rise of a Genius' - a brand-new 3-part series starting on BBC2 at 9.00 p.m. tomorrow (Monday). No reviews available as yet as far as I can tell, but there are 'dramatised reconstructions and stellar talking heads', the latter including 'such famous Mozart lovers as Sheila Hancock, Stephen Fry and Richard E. Grant'. Juliet Stevenson narrates.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

I will definitely be watching more of 'Nightsleeper' which started last night on Channel 1. Thrilling first episode, well set up, I thought.

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

BBC4 are showing a six-part series of 29-minute theatre performances by Victor Borge, on Sunday evenings.

Does anyone else remember/enjoy this unique entertainer? I used to think he was the funniest man I'd ever seen. I watched the first programme and alas!, as you may have guessed , I found it faded and dated, but still worth watching. I have to say I feel the same about Hancock's Half-Hour.

I can't decide whether these old favourites have simply outlived thier shelf-life, or whether I've become more critical and harder to please.

For those who wonder what this is all about, Victor Borge was an accomplished Danish pianist who chose to do stand-up comedy mixed with piano playing. His shows usually included one 'straight' performance of a work to finish.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                    BBC4 are showing a six-part series of 29-minute theatre performances by Victor Borge, on Sunday evenings.

Does anyone else remember/enjoy this unique entertainer? I used to think he was the funniest man I'd ever seen. I watched the first programme and alas!, as you may have guessed , I found it faded and dated, but still worth watching. I have to say I feel the same about Hancock's Half-Hour.

I can't decide whether these old favourites have simply outlived thier shelf-life, or whether I've become more critical and harder to please.

For those who wonder what this is all about, Victor Borge was an accomplished Danish pianist who chose to do stand-up comedy mixed with piano playing. His shows usually included one 'straight' performance of a work to finish.
                    I like to think British humour grew up a bit in the 1960s, especially with the satire boom which continues to be sustained in HIGNFY and a few radio shows, but there have been a few lapses on the subsequent route. My first symptoms of middle-aged grumpiness began way back in the early 1980s with The Young Ones, although that team went on to much better things. I still think that the best way to deflate sel-righteousness is in being able, or made, to laugh at ourselves.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by smittims View Post

I found it only intermittently amusing and won't be watching any further episodes.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I found it only intermittently amusing and won't be watching any further episodes.
                        I stuck it out for about 10 minutes and then gave up. Just didn't seem funny anymore.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Possibly worth a look - 'Mozart: Rise of a Genius' - a brand-new 3-part series starting on BBC2 at 9.00 p.m. tomorrow (Monday). No reviews available as yet as far as I can tell, but there are 'dramatised reconstructions and stellar talking heads', the latter including 'such famous Mozart lovers as Sheila Hancock, Stephen Fry and Richard E. Grant'. Juliet Stevenson narrates.
                          I almost managed to get to the end of the first episode but frustration, annoyance and queasiness got the better of me; I shall not watch the remaining episodes.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

I found the format of this - many swift cuts from one talking head to another - rather irritating, though the reconstruction scenes were well done. I wish people would pronounce 'Wolfgang' correctly, though.

I then gave The Joy of Mozart a try, but, as usual, found Mr TS insufferable.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

I found the format of this - many swift cuts from one talking head to another - rather irritating, though the reconstruction scenes were well done. I wish people would pronounce 'Wolfgang' correctly, though.

I then gave The Joy of Mozart a try, but, as usual, found Mr TS insufferable.
                              At least they didn't call him 'Wolfie' (cf. Mrs M in 'Amadeus')

Comment

Working...
                              X