Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Yes, there are exceptions, Richard Holmes' War Walks, for instance, recently repeated on BBC4. But this was made some time ago.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      Not one I can recommend sadly.

I had expected something of interest but was deeply unimpressed by this - a missed opportunity in my view. Or perhaps I was just expecting too much, in hoping for analysis rather than just a few graphs and the constant banging on about growth being the solution - the only one put forward*. Managing to avoid any examination of reasons for things such as child poverty, slow rate of house building, inadequate infrastructure(existing or future) was quite an achievement. The bad filming( jerky, as if the camera was running out of battery power - not as in "clever" camera effects - and lack of synch at times) didn't help. It was the kind of flabby effort that stops me from watching BBC documentaries, not what I expect from C4.
      * Actually that isn't perhaps quite correct, as he did say that having a long term business plan for the country would be a better way forward than the current model of short term policies that change with change of government, or political whim. But that was still in the context of economic growth as the sole solution.
      This presenter has advised governments, so my expectations weren't so high, having seen his CV and reckoned on the parameters he was working within. In the end the programme blurb to the effect that factors being avoided in the election party propaganda (like growth?) were to be given a place in the debate turned out not to be the case. It would have been more objective to have someone like Ash Sarkar or Owen Jones on as well to present alternatives; what I found particularly irksome though was the patronising tone of the presentation, as if this kind of stuff isn't churned out daily in reports on the economy.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....ITV Douglas is Cancelled....¬^/]¬¬^* CODSWALLOP....Steven Moffat could spoil Fish and Chips....Hideous people (ha ha)....Hideous vacuous ludicrous people....ridiculous hideous airheads with clever fast dialogue and texts and tweets that you cannot read they are fast and furious (like me) smoke mirrors flashing lights glass sided offices and buildings more light more ¬¬¬?^]¬¬9>< codswallop....so much speed, lights and codswallop it makes your mind vomit Stephen Poliakov ideas (perhaps). Steven Moffat ....could possibly set off epileptic fits ( has any body checked A&E figures for an increase in epileptic fits on thursday evenings)[[Irresponsible]]. Steven Moffatt has made it so that when I sit with my grandsons watching Dr Who, I have keep apoligizing for the utter rubbish dialogue coming out of the characters mouths (sorry boys the man who writes it forgets you are 8 and 10years)...................the man is a MENACE.....a ¬¬0^/*¬¬]>< menace.....just when you think you have seen off Stephen Poliakov another one comes along....(no, I have not been drinking....but I did eat a large pot of Mango Onken yoghurt).......my god you've just squeezed the last drip drip drip out of Andy Murray Sue Barker you should be ashamed of yourselves BBC.......R's
        bong ching

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          ....ITV Douglas is Cancelled....¬^/]¬¬^* CODSWALLOP....Steven Moffat could spoil Fish and Chips....Hideous people (ha ha)....Hideous vacuous ludicrous people....ridiculous hideous airheads with clever fast dialogue and texts and tweets that you cannot read they are fast and furious (like me) smoke mirrors flashing lights glass sided offices and buildings more light more ¬¬¬?^]¬¬9>< codswallop....so much speed, lights and codswallop it makes your mind vomit Stephen Poliakov ideas (perhaps). Steven Moffat ....could possibly set of epileptic fits ( has any body check A&E figures for an increase in epileptic fits on thursday evening). Steven Moffatt has made it so that when I sit with my grandsons watching Dr Who, I have keep apoligizing for the utter rubbish dialogue coming out of the characters mouths (sorry boys the man who writes it forgets you are 8 and 10years)...................the man is a MENACE.....a ¬¬0^/*¬¬]>< menace.....just when you think you have seen off Stephen Poliakov another one comes along....(no, I have not been drinking....but I did eat a large pot of Mango Onken yoghurt).......my god you've just sqeezed the last drip drip drip out of Andy Murray Sue Barker you should be ashamed of yourselve BBC
          Good one, 8tho!

Was abroad when this series started, recorded 2nd episode, but my hopes now aren’t high (I didn’t know Moffatt was behind it, I agree he’s the kiss of death…)
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

....spewing spurning spawn of the Devil....R's

....Steven Moffatt trying be 30 Rock on steroids....
            Last edited by eighthobstruction; Yesterday, 23:10.
            bong ching

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Good one, 8tho!

Was abroad when this series started, recorded 2nd episode, but my hopes now aren’t high (I didn’t know Moffatt was behind it, I agree he’s the kiss of death…)
              I watched Episode 1, but have no plans to waste any more time on it.

Comment

Working...
              X