Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

I recall a couple of years ago watching 'The Tourist' on the Beeb. The programme was set in Oz and was very entertaining, I recall, but towards the end of the final episode, I realised the mysteries were not going to be resolved and I thought, 'Ohno! there's going to be a second series!' Anyway, the second series has arrived and this time our main characters are in Ireland and I have to say that we are racing through it. Funny, stupid with some great characters and a bit mystery. Well worth a watch I reckon.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

I've now watched the documentary relating to the Horizon scandal drama. I didn't really learn that much more, but I think it might well be a real eye-opener for anybody who didn't watch the drama or hasn't previously been aware of the extent of the injustice and the pitifully slow process of vindicating and compensating the victims. It also reinforced my high opinion of the quality and overall accuracy of Gwyneth Hughes's screenplay.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

I'm pleased to see that ITV's Horizon scandal drama has caused something of a stir. Let's hope that real progress can now be on its way, even if it's only because it might be to somebody or other's electoral advantage.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Truelove (Channel 4) - an absorbing drama that tackles a difficult issue and features terrific performances from Lindsay Duncan and Sue Johnston.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

For some years now I've been accompanying Paul Murton (sic) on his Grand Tours of Scotland, and am delighted to see that he's now made a third series on Scottish rivers. The first episode is typically fascinating, featuring as it does Russian Army uniforms, a couple of Bulgarian beekeepers and a dirk that may well have inflicted some damage at Culloden.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              For some years now I've been accompanying Paul Murton (sic) on his Grand Tours of Scotland, and am delighted to see that he's now made a third series on Scottish rivers. The first episode is typically fascinating, featuring as it does Russian Army uniforms, a couple of Bulgarian beekeepers and a dirk that may well have inflicted some damage at Culloden.
              Excellent news. I really like these programmes, and am happy to watch repeats when they come round - just looking at the scenery is a joy(I think my Scottish ancestry is getting more evident as I get older...), but the spoken element in no way detracts(not something that can be said often these days), and there is often a "well I never" moment to savour.
              When is the news series going out - and how?
              I've just found the answer to that question - it's going out on Scottish TV, so I'll need to watch out for the repeats on BBC later.
              Last edited by oddoneout; 14-01-24, 15:51. Reason: Update

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Excellent news. I really like these programmes, and am happy to watch repeats when they come round - just looking at the scenery is a joy(I think my Scottish ancestry is getting more evident as I get older...), but the spoken element in no way detracts(not something that can be said often these days), and there is often a "well I never" moment to savour.
                When is the news series going out - and how?
                I've just found the answer to that question - it's going out on Scottish TV, so I'll need to watch out for the repeats on BBC later.
                The full series is on BBC Scotland (Scottish TV is ITV north of the border!) and is now available on iPlayer.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

The full series is on BBC Scotland (Scottish TV is ITV north of the border!) and is now available on iPlayer.
                  Yes, I meant TV in Scotland, should have written that!
                  I don't want to sit at my desk to watch in iPlayer so will wait until I can watch on the TV - which can't do such new-fangled tricks.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Yes, I meant TV in Scotland, should have written that!
                    I don't want to sit at my desk to watch in iPlayer so will wait until I can watch on the TV - which can't do such new-fangled tricks.
                    One of the advantages of Freesat over Freeview, of course, is that one can watch regional BBC programmes, including BBC Scotland on Channels 110 (HD) and 174 (SD).!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Here's the link.
                      Paul explores the River Don from its source in the Grampians near Cock Bridge, downstream to Aberdeen. He meets kilted Highlanders, sculptors, eccentrics and bees along the way.

I always think his programmes look interesting, but he is someone I find unwatchable - I just wish someone else did the programmes, though I know he is popular.

Comment

• Forget It (U2079353)
                        • Nov 2010

Wonderful cinematography/soundtrack (almost Tarkovsky at times) with Sassenach subtitles
                        A young man visits his dying grandfather to learn the truth behind his ancient tales.

Comment

• burning dog
                          • Dec 2010

I've now watched the documentary relating to the Horizon scandal drama. I didn't really learn that much more, but I think it might well be a real eye-opener for anybody who didn't watch the drama or hasn't previously been aware of the extent of the injustice and the pitifully slow process of vindicating and compensating the victims. It also reinforced my high opinion of the quality and overall accuracy of Gwyneth Hughes's screenplay.
                          Note the date!

UPDATE: New blog post on the 2nd Sight interim report 14 Aug 2013. OLD POST: I have been working with a journalist at Private Eye magaz...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I've followed all of Nick Wallis's excellent reports on Radio 4, and share his disappointment (to put it mildly) that, following the cancellation of 'Inside Edge', the BBC was unwilling or unable to follow up the initial TV exposure of the scandal on BBC South. The 2020 Panorama report also did little to shift the dial, so I think we must be grateful that an excellent TV drama finally came along to finally get things really moving. And let's not forget that Computer Weekly, Private Eye and some MPs had also been trying to keep the issue alive.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Ian Hislop having a good old rant on Peston, who clearly had the lawyers in his ear trying to stop him.

Comment

Working...
                                X