• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
    iPlayer - The Blob - A Genius without a Brain.

Not an animal, nor a plant, nor fungus, the blob is one giant single cell whose amazing capacities are leading pioneer scientists to a very new world – that of brainless intelligence.

More commonly known as slime mould, this extraordinary one-billion-year-old organism challenges our understanding of what constitutes intelligent life. . .

"Shot on 3 continents, the film is a scientific investigation shaped like a thriller, following top international experts from Europe, Japan and the US, through their major discoveries, and offering a mind-blowing experience into the very roots of cognition."

Mind-blowing indeed!
    Thanks for the reminder. I noted it yesterday but forgot all about it. Now lined up for blobbing out to.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... it's looking promising : the second series starts on Tuesday 21 March - Maigret and the Headless Corpse [ Maigret et le corps sans tête ]

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Ted Lasso on Apple TV.
        You really don’t have to like football to get this. It is really superb drama,in every way.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
          • Dec 2022

Clocking off is good...been slowly working our way through the episodes.

Paul Abbott's drama uncovers the lives of staff in a Manchester factory. How much do you know about the person working next to you?
          Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            Wonderful first BBC2 programme on Frida Kahlo last night.
            Some truly stunning photography and paintings.
            Will look forward to the next two programmes.

JR
            Notwithstanding feeling quite tearful after watching the final third part, I would urge others to: new TV documentaries of this quality are becoming evermore hard to find anywhere these days.

A look into Frida Kahlo's world, an artist driven by politics, power, sex and identity.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Notwithstanding feeling quite tearful after watching the final third part, I would urge others to: new TV documentaries of this quality are becoming evermore hard to find anywhere these days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001jw97
              Did you miss the George Michael and Paula Yates documentaries on Channel 4 the other week? The were excellent depth-and-breadth portraits of the Lives and the Times. Highly recommended.

(Titles: "Outed" and "Paula").

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Still quite a few of decent docs around. We missed the fascinating "Pluto: Back from the Dead" first time round and watched a repeat the other night on BBC 4. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kqm9

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Terrific TV. I had never had any particular thoughts on Rockefeller before, but the destruction of Rivera's mural in the Rockefeller Centre was shocking; cultural vandalism of the highest order - I suppose that was the price Diego Rivera paid for taking the Yankee dollar from such a***holes.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

I think the thing that surprised Mrs C and I, S_A, was that we both realised that we knew nothing about Freda, though we thought we did. One of the best series of documentaries that I have seen in a long time. I was left thinking that I would love to see an exhibition of her work; though perhaps even more a close up look at one of Diego's murals.This fascinating look at his Detroit mural is still on BBC Sounds.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Currently enjoying watching The Ghost and Mrs Muir again, after a good few decades (Film4 + 1).

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Currently enjoying watching The Ghost and Mrs Muir again, after a good few decades (Film4 + 1).
                        ... she was seldom more beautiful - tho' the film itself can't really compare with her Laura - or, a personal favourite, the ridiculous Leave Her to Heaven

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... she was seldom more beautiful - tho' the film itself can't really compare with her Laura - or, a personal favourite, the ridiculous Leave Her to Heaven

Is that the RAH through the window in the publisher's office scene of The Ghost and Mrs Muir? It certainly looks very familiar.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Is that the RAH through the window in the publisher's office scene of The Ghost and Mrs Muir? It certainly looks very familiar.
                            ... I think the film was shot in California, so unlikely -

Of course it may have been a matte technique, but I doubt they wd have bothered...

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there was a full-size replica Albert Hall in California, only because the original wasn't for sale, unlike the Queen Mary and London Bridge.

Is it true that the people who bought the latter were disappointed as they thought they'd bought Tower Bridge? .

Comment

• Mal
                                • Dec 2016

Thanks for the reminder. I noted it yesterday but forgot all about it. Now lined up for blobbing out to.
                                I'm reading Merlin Sheldrake's "Entangled Life" at the moment which is a remarkable read - more about fungi than slime mould, but the latter makes passing appearances as a point of comparison. Both have remarkable "intelligence" - solving complex mazes, modelling subway systems, ... A reviewer suggested it was a great book but should have had more on fungal negatives. I just started watching "The Last of Us" on NOW TV, which fixes that problem (darkest pilot ever?)

Comment

Working...
                                X