X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

A brief follow-up about the Painted Wolves here...

Don't worry, no crocs! Don't think anyone wants to face that​ again... appalling scene (which reportedly made the director ill, poor thing, and who could blame him...)

And Tigers next, with even cuter cubs....uh-oh...

Comment

• Braunschlag
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      Berlin Station
      How are you finding it? I got thoroughly confused in Ep2, watched it three(!) times and got back on track. It’s a goodun, plenty of location shots and excellent production. I’m surprised it hasn’t turned up earlier.

There’s a new one on Netflix called Dogs of Berlin. I binged it last week. I have to say that it’s ok, not much more. Rather spoilt by a feeble ending to my mind.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
        How are you finding it? I got thoroughly confused in Ep2, watched it three(!) times and got back on track. It’s a goodun, plenty of location shots and excellent production. I’m surprised it hasn’t turned up earlier.

There’s a new one on Netflix called Dogs of Berlin. I binged it last week. I have to say that it’s ok, not much more. Rather spoilt by a feeble ending to my mind.

Hiya Braunschlag,

I love 'Berlin Station'. Typically this type of espionage programme is never easy to understand.

I think Richard Armitage would make an excellent James Bond; a return to the suave and tall type that we have lost.

The recent series 'Babylon Berlin' was most enjoyable.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

... the wonderful Mrs Wilson . An extraordinary story, beautifully played. Ruth Wilson, playing her own grandmother - a revelation.

I shd think the fans of le Carré might appreciate it...

Alison investigates when mysteries from her husband's past come knocking.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... the wonderful Mrs Wilson . An extraordinary story, beautifully played. Ruth Wilson, playing her own grandmother - a revelation.

Agreed. What a group photo at the end! I wonder if we will ever get the whole truth. There must be some very sensitive stuff in the archives which they are not yet prepared to reveal.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

It was marvellous, they did indeed. Superb performance by Ruth Wilson, and the final tableau, quite unexpected, brought tears to the eyes.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

and the final tableau, quite unexpected, brought tears to the eyes.
                Yes, that was quite a coup de theatre...or whatever the TV equivalent is. I enjoyed it but wonder if two parts might have been enough? They went to the nth degree getting the 1950s feel right, and Heaven knows how much all those props/sets/cars/clothing cost. I agree about Ruth Wilson's performance, but just wonder if too much time passed watching 'meaningful close-uos'? Maybe I was just too impatient to get to the...never fully arrived at... facts. It did seem to drag a bit at times, especially episode 2.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  Yes, that was quite a coup de theatre...or whatever the TV equivalent is.

I enjoyed it but wonder if two parts might have been enough? They went to the nth degree getting the 1950s feel right, and Heaven knows how much all those props/sets/cars/clothing cost. ... It did seem to drag a bit at times, especially episode 2.
                  - exactly my response, too.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

....What, 4 episodes for a History of Wales....pwshhhh
                    bong ching

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      Superb performance by Ruth Wilson, and the final tableau, quite unexpected, brought tears to the eyes.
                      Excellent throughout! Loved it!

Comment

• Constantbee
                        • Jul 2017

Better Call Saul (Netflix Original)

Blackly comedic post hoc prequel to Breaking Bad. Off beat, gritty indictment of the North American legal system, featuring outstanding performances from Bob Odenkirk, Rhea Seehorn and Jonathan Banks. Why should you watch it? Well, for the camera work alone, if nothing else. The writers (Breaking Bad’s Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould) wanted to ‘honor the look of Breaking Bad (shot entirely hand held to preserve the nervous intensity) without having it feel like the same show … we don’t want this to look like anything else on TV’ Using unusual camera angles, non-standard framing, and lighting that gives strong diagonal shadows give a memorable film noir effect entirely suited to the Albuquerqe NM setting, where, I suspect the light contrasts are particularly strong. Well, I liked it ...
                        And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                          Yes Recently finished the latest (4th) season, which in many ways I thought was the best. Earlier seasons wandered a bit in terms of storyline I thought - but I kept going because as you say, it's a visual treat, and the performances are fine. The reappearance (or rather preappearances) of characters from Breaking Bad (including one of my favourites, indeed one of the best characters in any show I've ever seen... no spoilers...) was a big plus - and the emergence of places and plot-lines that prefigure the 'later' series added to the interest of season 4. Outstanding indeed.

's all good!
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Yes absorbing stuff indeed, and an intriguing yet satisfying conclusion.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

'Acceptable Risk' 6-part Irish television crime drama series on the channel Universal TV - Great suspense! Highly recommended.
                              Last edited by Stanfordian; 22-12-18, 22:05.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post

Blackly comedic post hoc prequel to Breaking Bad.
                                I googled "post hoc prequel" (7 results in 0.26 seconds). Still not sure how it differs from an ordinary prequel.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X