• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Which did you get your messages on?

Flares would have been useful for seeing one's way through the power cuts!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

After the Wadden Sea, Patagonia is another winner from Sky Nature, with Pedro Pascal (Mandalorian, Last of Us etc) as an ideal narrator, sounding so closely, emotionally involved. The 4 to 6 parts of these shows offer much depth and uptodate reportage of environmental issues, human/animal interactions and evolutions, like the former Shark Fisherman who now regrets his earlier butchery and uses his profound knowledge and huntsman's skills to work very hard for their conservation.
      Wonderful studies of migrating shorebirds, and of course Whales, from Blue to Southern Right.......and much fascination in Orca family dynamics...

New & Exclusive. A Year in the Wild: Step behind the scenes of this ground-breaking series, as the film crew contend with extreme weather, high altitudes and hungry predators. (S1, ep 6)
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 17-02-23, 17:12.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
        • Dec 2022

Watched most of porton down, scrary stuff,especially that the nazis developed sarin but never used it.
        Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Braunschlag
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Watched the ‘episodes 1&2’ first part via iPlayer last night - what gripping stuff, and yes a very effective and evocative sound track by Eric

I realise that I was aware of the series and its theme & mood back in the ‘80s without ever having actually watched it (unless I’ve comprehensively forgotten all details )… Shall definitely watch it all this time round.
          A must watch! Thanks for spotting this on iplayer. When it was first broadcast it was on my usual sacrosanct night out - we both decided that had to be ditched after episode one, gripping is the right word here.
          Just wait until Jedburgh (Joe Don Baker) turns up, a wonderful character!

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
            Watched most of porton down, scrary stuff,especially that the nazis developed sarin but never used it.
            Who knows what they might have done given a few more months.

The BBC programme was first broadcast in 2016 and a lot has happened since then; an updated version would be interesting - or maybe it would tell us little more.

Still, interesting to know what goes on in the concrete bunkers that I can see when cycling across the down or from the train to Waterloo.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
              Who knows what they might have done given a few more months.

The BBC programme was first broadcast in 2016 and a lot has happened since then; an updated version would be interesting - or maybe it would tell us little more.

Still, interesting to know what goes on in the concrete bunkers that I can see when cycling across the down or from the train to Waterloo.
              I've watched it twice, out of general interest and also because there is a family connection. I see there is a business hub and science park thereabouts these days.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001gc8t The Classical Collection

This seems to be a repeat but as I didn't watch first time around I might try it this time. At first I thought it was a selection of pieces but there's only one item under "Music played" and it's only a 15 minute slot - despite the schedule blurb saying 59 minutes and the two previous episodes being that length.
                Then again when this sort of twaddle appears in said listings
                A celebration of the newly recognised glories of classical music,
                it's not surprising that nothing makes sense - and it certainly doesn't exactly help the profile of
                largely forgotten or neglected composers,
                Last edited by oddoneout; 19-02-23, 18:44. Reason: forgot programme reference

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
                  Just wait until Jedburgh (Joe Don Baker) turns up, a wonderful character!
                  He has! Towards the end of this first double-episode.
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Another instalment of Inside Music on BBC Four TV a week tonight, Sunday 26 February.

If it follows the format of the previous one, it’ll basically be a concert performance of Daphnis & Chloë by the BBCSSO under Ryan Wigglesworth (with Messiaen’s Poèmes pour Mi on the programme for good measure)

The BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra perform works by Olivier Messiaen and Maurice Ravel.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                      • Dec 2022

Interesting to see five episodes available https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...side-classical

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                        • Dec 2022

Neglected masterpieces on BBC four later

A celebration of the newly recognised glories of classical music, featuring a wealth of works written by largely forgotten or neglected composers, including Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Florence B Price, Grace Williams and Erich Korngold.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
                          Neglected masterpieces on BBC four later

A celebration of the newly recognised glories of classical music, featuring a wealth of works written by largely forgotten or neglected composers, including Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Florence B Price, Grace Williams and Erich Korngold.
                          All is not quite as it seems Jason. The programme slot is only 15 mins not the 1 hour of the original episode according to both the Freeview listings and the BBC schedule, so there'll be the one work.
                          In an earlier post I also took exception to the phrase "newly recognised glories of classical music", which is nonsense of the highest order. Unfortunately the Beeb appears to be using an old beta version of AI to write its blurb these days, and doesn't find it necessary to get a halfway functioning human to check the text before unleashing it on the world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

OK I was wrong about only one piece, but then so is the BBC4 online listing. Wonder if it'll finish at 10-00, I assume so else all the other timings will be wrong.

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

'Newly-recognised glories' is out of the same vocabulary as 'stunning' , 'award-winning' and 'incredible', all over-used in BBC announcements these days.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                                'Newly-recognised glories' is out of the same vocabulary as 'stunning' , 'award-winning' and 'incredible', all over-used in BBC announcements these days.
                                I think it's worse on a couple of counts. Firstly because, as it stands,it implies that classical music has been languishing in the shadows for some undefined period, which is obviously nonsense. Secondly, because it is another example of the incompetent text writing which the Beeb now thinks acceptable to put out as public information. The "newly discovered glories" actually refers to the particular sections of the repertoire - women and minority composers - which have been overlooked in the past and are now being brought to public attention, not "classical music" in its entirety.
                                What was put out last night was to my way of thinking rather an insult to the cause it ostensibly claimed to be championing - a 15 minute slot of snippets from a longer programme to fill an awkward scheduling gap. Although some information about the composer and the work was run along the bottom of the screen, there was no clue as to who the performers were either at the time or in the credits. The Music Played on the online listings still shows only a Clara Schumann work - which didn't even appear in this sampler version.

Comment

Working...
                                X