Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasonPalmer
    • Dec 2022

Watched all three episodes of putin vs the West, interesting what was left out like putin energy contracts with Assad.

Perhaps Ukraine was indeed planning to join NATO, who knows when the truth will be revealed.
    Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• JasonPalmer
      • Dec 2022

7pm BBC four looks good

In Henley-on-Thames, Michael Portillo slips into a launch to hear about the regatta.

Armed with his Edwardian Bradshaw’s Guide, Michael Portillo picks up his rail journey from Warwick to Rye along the River Thames. In Reading, he traces the origins of education for workers. Messing about in boats is the name of the game in Henley-on-Thames, where Michael slips into a launch to hear about the world-famous regatta. Afternoon tea on the bank offers a chance to hear about four heroes of early 20th-century literary classic The Wind in the Willows.

In the pretty village of Cookham, Michael encounters heaven on earth for the artist Stanley Spencer, and across the river at Cliveden he explores the great Italianate mansion, which once belonged to the Astor family. Michael finds out about one of its most famous members, the first woman to take a seat in Parliament, Nancy Astor.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
        7pm BBC four looks good

In Henley-on-Thames, Michael Portillo slips into a launch to hear about the regatta.

Armed with his Edwardian Bradshaw’s Guide, Michael Portillo picks up his rail journey from Warwick to Rye along the River Thames. In Reading, he traces the origins of education for workers. Messing about in boats is the name of the game in Henley-on-Thames, where Michael slips into a launch to hear about the world-famous regatta. Afternoon tea on the bank offers a chance to hear about four heroes of early 20th-century literary classic The Wind in the Willows.

In the pretty village of Cookham, Michael encounters heaven on earth for the artist Stanley Spencer, and across the river at Cliveden he explores the great Italianate mansion, which once belonged to the Astor family. Michael finds out about one of its most famous members, the first woman to take a seat in Parliament, Nancy Astor.
        He's made lots of them and they have been getting well repeated - BBC2 and BBC4 and I think on other channels as well. There are also some from abroad. Sadly there is something about the man that turns my stomach and I just cannot watch him, a disappointment as they are the kind of programmes I like watching.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

I have a 'zero tolerance' policy for anyone who had anything to do with Thatcher. And although I'm a rail enthusiast I don't watch Portillo because I can't trust a word he says, after what he said when he was politician.

Comment

• ChandlersFord
            • Dec 2021

Due to my disgust and abhorrence at the current state of the bbc and pro-Boris Johnson junta who run it, I no longer have a television licence. But I’ve been catching up with the third series of Happy Valley while staying with my parents.

It’s excellent, right across the board. And, it goes without saying, it would be nowhere near as good if made by a commercial channel.

But do I think it worth £159 (or whatever it is nowadays) of my hard-earned, some of which will be paying the wretched Laura Kuenssberg’s salary? Afraid not.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ChandlersFord View Post
              Due to my disgust and abhorrence at the current state of the bbc and pro-Boris Johnson junta who run it, I no longer have a television licence. But I’ve been catching up with the third series of Happy Valley while staying with my parents.

It’s excellent, right across the board. And, it goes without saying, it would be nowhere near as good if made by a commercial channel.

But do I think it worth £159 (or whatever it is nowadays) of my hard-earned, some of which will be paying the wretched Laura Kuenssberg’s salary? Afraid not.
              But if you paid that amount you could watch all 18 episodes of Happy Valley for £8.33 per episode - with a clear conscience.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

....taking the political angle out of it....I can't agree. On a value for money aspect I think £159 is a snip especially as you get Freeview with the package....when compared to almost any commodity [excepting Cheese of course].... 0.50p a day {less than a pop tart...]

....enjoying a 40ish Simon Sharma in his first series History of England at mo'....
                bong ching

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                  • Dec 2022

I could happily go back to just radio,web,books,newspapers,magazines but my son loves his cbbc go jetters,Andys adventures,colour blocks etc etc

Comment

• Braunschlag
                    • Jul 2017

It is, Portillo does a good job, pleasant, almost charming and well read. Ignore those who take the political view, An intelligent guy who does his homework.

In the pretty village of Cookham, Michael encounters heaven on earth for the artist Stanley Spencer, and across the river at Cliveden he explores the great Italianate mansion, which once belonged to the Astor family. Michael finds out about one of its most famous members, the first woman to take a seat in Parliament, Nancy Astor.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• smittims
                      • Aug 2022

Oh yes, ignore the political view. Hitler loved animals. Quite a nice man, really. An intelligent guy who did his homework. Many who met him (Lady Mosley for instance) found him charming and well-read.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                        • Dec 2022

In a different world herr hitler presented Wagner hour on classical German radio..

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
                          In a different world herr hitler presented Wagner hour on classical German radio..
                          And Stalin was said to have been good with children.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                            • Dec 2022

Watched digging Britain as it mentioned on here, also enjoyed sarangetti though the names she gave to animals made it a bit confusing, nice commentary apart from that.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                              • Dec 2022

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              And Stalin was said to have been good with children.
                              And now "play away" with comrade Stalin...

Comment

• Constantbee
                                • Jul 2017

I entirely agree. Still only £53.50 for the black and white telly licence, mind you Makes watching hours and hours of blood and gore and bare flesh slightly less stressful in black and white Don't suppose they make black and white sets any more, do they? Well, if they don't they should. My father had one until about 7 years ago, until someone came round and pressurised him to get it converted. I knew he shouldn't have let it go If compliant (or whatever the word is) black and white TV sets ever come back into fashion I'll have one
                                And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Working...
                                X