Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Braunschlag
    • Jul 2017

For those with a Northern inclination this is now being broadcast on YT.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Original score by Neil Brand and played by Brighouse and Rastrick brass band. It was recorded live in Morecambe Winter Gardens, a very fine seaside theatre showing some signs of coming back to life.

Comment

• Braunschlag
      • Jul 2017

For a finale of all things Northern might I recommend this absolute gem -

A proper full fat heartening documentary which will test all your emotional resolve, beautiful!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        here in London today it's as quiet as a grave - hardly a soul out and about.
        Mind you, when I drove to family Christmas lunch yesterday, as I do each 25/12 taking advantage of the annual congestion charge suspension to drive right through the centre, I’ve never seen the area near the Abbey and Palace of Westminster so heaving with people, tourists for the most part I assume. They were 3 or 4 deep on each side of Westminster Bridge from one end to the other, ice cream vans doing a roaring trade!

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post

A proper full fat heartening documentary which will test all your emotional resolve, beautiful!
        This was great!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Night Mail - the famous 1936 Britten/Auden proto-Rap collaboration, is showing next Wednesday (28th Dec) on Talking Pictures TV, at 7.05pm.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post

....yes, as you know I am sure - there are thousands of pensioners like that in Bradford who worked hard in tiring jobs then in the evening did tertiary education and such like clubs on a shoe string....and they are still about....
            bong ching

Comment

• JasonPalmer
              • Dec 2022

I moved from Yorkshire to Buckinghamshire then London then Kent. Happy in Kent.
              Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                ....looking forward to Sound Walks on R3 today at 1600hrs https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001g9pn
                On a televisual note, the whimsy and majestic scenery of the Mortimer/Whitehouse north Norway fishing trip provide a rewarding and amusing watch

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  I tried my best with The English, that weirded-out Western on BBC2, but it was just too damn solemn for me....I didn't make it through. Impatient perhaps, but with something like that, I need some black humour or gallows humour around to keep things sharp
                  I couldn’t stand it either, and you’re right about why, I think

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

'Detectorists' was as great as I was hoping it would be. Mackenzie Crook is a wonder, in my opinion.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                      I couldn’t stand it either, and you’re right about why, I think
                      As with his Rwanda-based series (the name of which I've forgotten) everything (except dialogue comprehesibility) overdone. I lasted one episode.

Comment

• seabright
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                        As you say, this was a repeat of last year’s Christmas University Challenge programmes. A new series of these specials begins tomorrow.
                        Jeremy Paxman admitted in a TV documentary a while ago that he had Parkinson's Disease but evidently he has insisted on keeping on going. I fear his slurred speech in the current UC programmes is causing the participants, and probably the TV audience too, to strain their ears so as to make out what he's saying. His replacement, Amol Rajan, has been announced, though he won't be taking over until the autumn of 2023. This means more ear-straining in the next series, thanks to Paxman's unwillingness to retire gracefully before his condition worsens. Rather a shame though, as he's been a good quiz-master.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by seabright View Post
                          Jeremy Paxman admitted in a TV documentary a while ago that he had Parkinson's Disease but evidently he has insisted on keeping on going. I fear his slurred speech in the current UC programmes is causing the participants, and probably the TV audience too, to strain their ears so as to make out what he's saying. His replacement, Amol Rajan, has been announced, though he won't be taking over until the autumn of 2023. This means more ear-straining in the next series, thanks to Paxman's unwillingness to retire gracefully before his condition worsens. Rather a shame though, as he's been a good quiz-master.
                          Was it my imagination, or didn't he tell us he was retiring from it in October? I'd been wondering if the present transmssions had been recorded earlier.

Tonight's Harry Enfield effort, "Andrew: The Musical" on Channel 4, was impressively done but probably only as funny as I'd anticipated.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Was it my imagination, or didn't he tell us he was retiring from it in October? I'd been wondering if the present transmssions had been recorded earlier.
                            I got the impression from the documentary that once the series they were in the middle of recording was done he would vacate his seat, having accepted that there was a limit to how much he was able to do even with the considerable support of the TV team.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              'Detectorists' was as great as I was hoping it would be. Mackenzie Crook is a wonder, in my opinion.
                              Same here

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Not a recommendation, but it does rather sum up where we are these days with the channel that used to have a broader view of the arts, including music? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001gpg2

Comment

Working...
                                X