X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boilk
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    The Secret Genius of Modern Life is three episodes in now on BBC2. The ever-enthusiastic and highly watchable Dr Hannah Fry dissects (often literally) the objects of of our everyday lives: gripping, educative and entertaining in equal measure.
    Interesting subject matter, but I just couldn't watch after the first two programmes; Hannah Fry is just too full of herself and, for me, makes anything she's in unwatchable.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
      Interesting subject matter, but I just couldn't watch after the first two programmes; Hannah Fry is just too full of herself and, for me, makes anything she's in unwatchable.
      I watched part of the recent episode about batteries etc and got irritated by her approach, which for me got in the way of the interesting subject matter and interviewees. I was deeply unimpressed by her attitude to pranging the Dutch PV car - lots of giggling and little girl behaviour. I realise that embarrassment may have played a part in that (giving her the benefit of the doubt) but even so...

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

Your experience mirrors my own dissatisfaction with many so-called documentaries on TV . Fact and useful information takes second place to 'entertainment ' . I've seen countless examples.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

We intended to take our time watching the present series of 'Strike' on BBC1, but no such luck...we raced through the four episodes in two sittings, since it was all up on the i-player. Very enjoyable indeed, with some great ideas, as I have also found the previous series to be. I really like the two main characters, Cormoran and Robin, and like the way the characters have developed with a little added in each series. I'm already looking forward to the next instalment, whenever that is.
          Detective dramas based on the novels by Robert Galbraith.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            We intended to take our time watching the present series of 'Strike' on BBC1, but no such luck...we raced through the four episodes in two sittings, since it was all up on the i-player. Very enjoyable indeed, with some great ideas, as I have also found the previous series to be. I really like the two main characters, Cormoran and Robin, and like the way the characters have developed with a little added in each series. I'm already looking forward to the next instalment, whenever that is.
            https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b093ypxy
            Superb series (plural).

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

BBC 4, Christmas Eve about 2130 GMT :

'Organ Stops: a documentary about the people trying to save Britain's pipe organs.

As a schoolboy I marvelled at the 4-manual organ in the parish church of a local market town where we had our Founder's Day service each year. To me then it seemed to have been there since the year dot and, like Woolworths and BHS I expected it to be there forever. Sadly , on revisiting a couple of years ago I found it had gone as they couldn't afford to repair it. Liek Steam locos , it seems , organs are getting more and more expensive to maintain. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Comment

• seabright
                • Jan 2013

Does anyone know if the BBC4 'Christmas University Challenge' programmes with "distinguished alumni" are available on iPlayer? ... I'd particularly like to see last night's episode again for the classical music questions featuring Leo Blech (7.00pm 20/20) but can only find the regular BBC2 programmes with the usual bunch of students. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place but it would be odd if the "alumni" programmes haven't been made available for another viewing on iPlayer.

Comment

• Mal
                  • Dec 2016

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b093ypxy
                  Thanks for the head's up, I might try that next. It sounds a bit safer than "The English", which I gave up on half way through the third episode in a state of confusion and boredom. The Guardian critic gushed so much I should have been warned off... I'll follow the Glasgow Herald critic from now on, not afraid to slam the English!

"Since it’s Blunt, and the cast is so top drawer, some might be tempted to stick with it in the hope it becomes less art house cinema and more mainstream western. Count me out." - Alison Rowat

HE’S arrived then. Matt Hancock, former Cabinet Minister, current Alan Partridge impersonator (job share with Richard Madeley), and all-round…

She also says:

"IF you are in the market for hipster detectives it’s hard to beat Cormoran and Robin, the duo at the heart of JK Rowling’s crime drama Strike...".

I do despair about finding a good critic! I suspect most of the Rotten Tomato set are thinking about the next party they might get invited to if they write a glowing review of rubbish... Anyone have critics they trust and turn to frequently?

Comment

• Mal
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                    Alison Rowat was singing the praises of this documentary, while slamming my least enjoyable watch of the last few months ("the English"), so I was tempted. But... Hannah Fry... Was the "bank card" episode good? (Even if it was, sorry, no... Hannah Fry... I can't stand Brian Cox, and Hannah Fry is even less watchable...)

Anyone watching "Snowfall"? I'm four seasons in and totally gripped, I'm binging at my fastest rate (one episode a day...)

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                      BBC 4, Christmas Eve about 2130 GMT :

'Organ Stops: a documentary about the people trying to save Britain's pipe organs.

As a schoolboy I marvelled at the 4-manual organ in the parish church of a local market town where we had our Founder's Day service each year. To me then it seemed to have been there since the year dot and, like Woolworths and BHS I expected it to be there forever. Sadly , on revisiting a couple of years ago I found it had gone as they couldn't afford to repair it. Liek Steam locos , it seems , organs are getting more and more expensive to maintain. Sic transit gloria mundi.
                      Which is where the likes of this become so important? https://www.gloucester.anglican.org/...uidance-notes/

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Rossini
                        ‘Semiramide’ opera in 2 acts (1823)
                        Semiramide - Albina Shagimuratova (soprano); Arsace - Daniela Barcellona (mezzo-soprano);
                        Assur - Mirco Palazzi (bass); Idreno - Barry Banks (tenor); Oroe - Gianluca Buratto (bass);
                        Azema - Susana Gaspar (soprano); Mitrane - David Butt Philip (tenor); Nino’s ghost - James Platt (bass)
                        Opera Rara Chorus,
                        Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment / Sir Mark Elder (conductor)
                        Recorded 2016 Henry Wood Hall, London
                        Opera Rara, 4CD set

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

All five series of 'Strike' are available on the iplayer, by the way, usually three or four episodes in a series.
                          Detective dramas based on the novels by Robert Galbraith.

Comment

• LHC
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by seabright View Post
                            Does anyone know if the BBC4 'Christmas University Challenge' programmes with "distinguished alumni" are available on iPlayer? ... I'd particularly like to see last night's episode again for the classical music questions featuring Leo Blech (7.00pm 20/20) but can only find the regular BBC2 programmes with the usual bunch of students. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place but it would be odd if the "alumni" programmes haven't been made available for another viewing on iPlayer.
                            They are all available on iPlayer

"I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                            Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• seabright
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                              Thanks for the link. Curiously, the caption under the video reads "Christmas 2021" which probably explains why I couldn't find it, even though it was indeed the programme shown last night. It was a repeat from last year, while I was looking for one captioned 2022!
                              Last edited by seabright; 18-12-22, 00:36.

Comment

• Mal
                                • Dec 2016

All five series of 'Strike' are available on the iplayer, by the way, usually three or four episodes in a series.
                                https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b093ypxy/strike
                                The BBC are very generous this way! All 25 series of Silent Witness are available, about 10 episodes per series, each sub-plot usually taking up two episodes. I'm about half way through on a slow binge. Telegraph critic Michael Hogan has slammed the series: "In place of convincing dialogue or emotion, they instead exchanged meaningful stares" and "The leading pair were so wooden, they made the bodies on the autopsy slab look lively." I think this is a bit unfair, some episodes are quite gripping - but, for too many, Hogan has a point. I have thought of giving up when hitting a tedious patch (like their trips to Africa...) but then a gripping episode comes along. There's a fascinating list on imdb that ranks every episode by viewer preference. Shadows: Part 1 (2010) is right at the top - and I totally concur with that rating, a gripping hour of tele as you could ever hope to watch - the best "shooter on a rampage" drama I've ever seen. For that I'm keeping going... for now... (The plot is in two episodes and there's a slight falling off in the second episode, but if you want to just sample the "best of" it would be a great place to start...)

Comment

Working...
                                X