X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Yes, the version of Ipcress File on ITV was surprisingly well done.

Currently entirely watching Netflix & Amazon Prime for drama series - nothing’s on ‘series record’ on terrestrial tv
    I just didn't find the character simulation of Caine in the original credible, and had to switch off. To be sure, the Palmer character of the original was a stereotype, and we took that on board as a human trope typical of its era at the time because we seemed to see through irony better than people now seem equipped to; but I couldn't understand the point of repeating it, and him, in the age of today.

Comment

• Maclintick
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      just been rewatching the Prisoner, the proper one from 1967. Only my second full run through, and despite a couple of dodgy episodes ( episode 11 in particular) it is still wonderful drama, with startlingly good production values to boot.

Fabulous, and all too prescient .
      Just to add, having caught up with Patrick McGoohan & his chums in lockdown, TS, & also for others for whom a dose of 60s nostalgia might be a palatable alternative to the stuff on offer elsewhere , that the Prisoner Eps 1-17 (AFAIK complete), plus six series of The Saint is available on the American TUBI TV channel -- free for those who can put up with the dismally functional ads for ABC Mouse and car insurance. As you say, the production values achieved by Lew Grade's ATV in those halcyon analogue days are miraculous, & knock the pants off a lot of contemporary offerings. I imagine the 60s prints must have been digitally dry-cleaned, though to fashion these into such fine silk purses the quality of the original sows' ears must have been stellar --- beautiful colour rendition, for instance.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
        Just to add, having caught up with Patrick McGoohan & his chums in lockdown, TS, & also for others for whom a dose of 60s nostalgia might be a palatable alternative to the stuff on offer elsewhere , that the Prisoner Eps 1-17 (AFAIK complete), plus six series of The Saint is available on the American TUBI TV channel -- free for those who can put up with the dismally functional ads for ABC Mouse and car insurance. As you say, the production values achieved by Lew Grade's ATV in those halcyon analogue days are miraculous, & knock the pants off a lot of contemporary offerings. I imagine the 60s prints must have been digitally dry-cleaned, though to fashion these into such fine silk purses the quality of the original sows' ears must have been stellar --- beautiful colour rendition, for instance.
        Thanks Super Mac.
        I finally made it to Portmeirion last summer. After a very long time wanting to visit, I did fear a little let - down….but it was a jaw dropping experience. A very special place indeed.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Maclintick
          • Jan 2012

I visited Portmeirion in 1964, an 11-year-old on holiday with my parents & grandmother, who discreetly pointed out a dapper elderly gentleman in a linen suit - Clough Williams-Ellis, architect & inspiration behind the brilliantly daft idea of building an Italianate village in rain-soaked North Wales.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Scott of the Antarctic (with music later used for his Sinfonia Antartica by RVW) just started on BBC TWO. It might be available via the iPlayer, later.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

I'm greatly enjoying the early series of the comedy 'Motherland'.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                I'm greatly enjoying the early series of the comedy 'Motherland'.
                Brilliant, Stan.

I've been really enjoying this series of 'Derry Girls' - great performances throughout.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

The BBC1 series Sherwood (first 2 episodes last Monday & Tuesday) struck me as exceptionally good. More than just a police/crime drama… and with a fantastic cast, deftly scripted and directed, beautifully shot too.
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

The BBC1 series Sherwood (first 2 episodes last Monday & Tuesday) struck me as exceptionally good. More than just a police/crime drama… and with a fantastic cast, deftly scripted and directed, beautifully shot too.
                    Indeed …….

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        Indeed …….

Probably only present/former Nottingham folk would have flinched at the single wrong note: when a local referred to “Notts Forest”…… Them as knows, knows “Notts” is only used for Notts County F.C. - not for Nottingham Forest

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Sherwood is not so well thought of by Camilla Long in today's Sunday Times, though:

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            Sherwood is not so well thought of by Camilla Long in today's Sunday Times, though:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...1820738b0a1377
                            Looks like a good reason to give it a try, Pulc. I rarely agree with the critics!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...1820738b0a1377

I have had cause before to take a very different view of things to Ms Long - including whether it’s worth attaching any importance to her pronouncements…!

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Looks like a good reason to give it a try, Pulc. I rarely agree with the critics!
                              Nail on the head in this case, certainly, cloughie!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

I have had cause before to take a very different view of things to Ms Long - including whether it’s worth attaching any importance to her pronouncements…!

Nail on the head in this case, certainly, cloughie!
                                You've both persuaded me!
                                Probably better than the episode of Death in Paradise I dropped off in last night!

Comment

Working...
                                X