X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Judging by the amount of premeditated right wing verbiage emanating from Hampshire... I would not be wishing to live in any of these areas, I have to say.
    I have to say, Serial, that I'm often aware of centre-left verbiage about these parts of Hampshire.... mind you, you have to choose your friends.

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
      I think I saw a bit of research once which linked the political views of shop stewards and union organisers to pay increases. The lefter the higher the increase which is why they tended to get voted in. That’s the free market for you…..
      I agree but some of the most effective pay bargainers were certainly not left-wing in fact quite the opposite, I have in mind the industries where long-gone pre-entry closed shops controlled the labour supply and the ability to put the squeeze on an employer for higher pay was extremely effective but bore no relationship whatsoever to left-wing principles. I still remember the Porsches and exotic cars parked overnight outside a still extant national newspaper office, these were certainly not owned by the journalists but the print workers many of whom were exceedingly well paid largely because they could stop the presses at any time they chose. Other industries experienced similar pressures where the pre-entry closed shop prevailed.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Didn't Maggie T. put a stop to all that? The situation we have now was well summed up by Start the Week this morning, which suggested that money is sucked by the wealthy from the poor. It was called Wealth, influence and the global elite.

Not sure if they all live in Hants.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Didn't Maggie T. put a stop to all that? The situation we have now was well summed up by Start the Week this morning, which suggested that money is sucked by the wealthy from the poor. It was called Wealth, influence and the global elite.

Not sure if they all live in Hants.
          When the programme's subject matter was announced at the beginning I decided not to listen. Which seems to have been a mistake. So thanks!

Edit: One minute granted at the end to discuss why the populist right has benefitted more than the left in critiquing globlisation - and hardly any consideration of its effect on the natural environment. Otherwise quite a good coverage of the issues, and especially revealing when coming to the attitude of gentleman whose family had prospered from it. Now what we need is a programme (or series) considering how an enabling technology can be developed to embrace the huge swathes of population marginalised and unfulfilled in their potential by capitalism's waste of its human capital. Beyond medical advances there isn't much new tech of sustainable use, just to boost productivity, a good in itself were it not in the name of competitive advantage - and of course the result of de-forestation is removing plant species of use for this.

Er, perhaps this should have been on a radio thread!
          Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 21-02-22, 18:54.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Just now on BBC2, We Are Black and British: Part 1 of 2

In case anyone wonders what has this got to do with me, I would argue it has to do with everyone, because the programme is considering something that probably rarely occurs to non-black/minority people: what it is that shapes us and our ways of thinking about ourselves? Questions of identity, which, in contexts other than our own, are easier perhaps to appreciate than those in which we are enmeshed. I was reminded of the series The Century of the Self, in one episode of which we were shown middle class people going to California to "discover themselves" through Gestalt therapy, and to their shock then discovering the inappropriateness in transferring such methods to black communities. It showed up the artificial, constructed nature of identity as something foisted or pressured into out of solidarity. This programme revealed by default the damage that western religion has - I happen to believe - inflicted on black communities. This really became clear in the final minutes of this first episode, in which one of the male characters suddenly came out to the group as gay, and was immediately seen differently and questionably by the rest of the group, with the exception of the one-parent mother. Perhaps an all-white group might have shilly-shallied their way around the issue: this group attempted to rationalise and get to grips with their responses.

I am still buzzing from this programme, and can't wait for next week's episode.

Six black Britons from different backgrounds come together to share personal stories.

Comment

• Boilk
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Just now on BBC2, We Are Black and British: Part 1 of 2
              I am still buzzing from this programme, and can't wait for next week's episode.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014t9r
              You mean the next evening's episode, today's (which IMHO was even more enlightening).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                You mean the next evening's episode, today's (which IMHO was even more enlightening).
                Yes I'm sorry about that misinformation on my part. I did get to see the second episode, and I agree. The participant who raised the whole issue of being mixed race put a most enlightening twist on the issues discussed, making for a brilliant ending.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

This might be of interest
                  Tears, arguments and deeply human conversations about race: this moving, uplifting show sees Black Britons debate the UK’s problems – and it’s a masterclass in empathy

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    Aside from the article claiming that the programmes made entertainment of its contributants' pain that's a pretty good summation of what was so good about them.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Fascinating to watch The Third Man on BBC4 last night.

Classic film noir about a writer visiting postwar Vienna to see a friend.

Everything, the acting style and dialogue included, was so 'of its time' it's hard to imagine a younger generation appreciating it at all. The thing that struck me most was the contrast between 'society' folk and the post-war devastation of the city, so well-drawn that the film, I gather, won several awards at the time. And of course the 'Harry Lime' theme on the Zither (?) is an absolute classic. The superb player provided, it seems, the entire background music to the film.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Not necessarily recommended programmes so much as observation that as with buses so with TV worth watching these days - nothing much for weeks then 3 all at once. A bit of a Welsh focus on BBC4 this evening, with another Will Mallard rummage around forgotten buildings, Huw Edwards in Patagonia, and then bridging the gap with the Severn Bridge construction. All in their own way interesting, and in the case of the Severn Bridge one I'd seen it before but worth watching again, but one of those occasions when the appeal of catch up makes itself evident. One of these days...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Not necessarily recommended programmes so much as observation that as with buses so with TV worth watching these days - nothing much for weeks then 3 all at once. A bit of a Welsh focus on BBC4 this evening, with another Will Mallard rummage around forgotten buildings, Huw Edwards in Patagonia, and then bridging the gap with the Severn Bridge construction. All in their own way interesting, and in the case of the Severn Bridge one I'd seen it before but worth watching again, but one of those occasions when the appeal of catch up makes itself evident. One of these days...
                          The suspension is killing me!

Comment

• Boilk
                            • Dec 2010

Tonight I'll be watching The Offence on Freeview channel Talking Pictures. In this 1973 police crime drama, a stressed out police detective (played by Sean Connery) snaps and kills a suspect whilst interrogating him. It jogged my memory as I recall it being possibly Harrison Birtwistle's only film score.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                              Tonight I'll be watching The Offence on Freeview channel Talking Pictures. In this 1973 police crime drama, a stressed out police detective (played by Sean Connery) snaps and kills a suspect whilst interrogating him. It jogged my memory as I recall it being possibly Harrison Birtwistle's only film score.
                              Thanks for the tip. I also found the channel on Sky and found myself hooked on an old episode of Rumpole of the Bailey.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Just started on London Live: All Night Long, featuring, among others, Dave Brubeck and Charles Mingus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Ni...ng_(1962_film)

Comment

Working...
                                X