X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    ....depending thro' what sort of device you watch, sometimes subs do not work on live broadcast, only on demand the next day....on my Firestick they have recently changed where and how the subs work (now in top left had corner) + one of those where you end up wondering "have I turned it on or off"....
    Just checked out of interest, and had no trouble accessing the subtitles, which we also used when watching it 'live'. All 5 episodes can be streamed if you're the binging type!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      Talking Pictures TV, 0450-0500 tomorrow (Tuesday 18th) - late 1930s footage of the Bournemouth Municipal Symphony Orchestra playing Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2.
      Have to say, I much prefer the Tom & Jerry version.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        'Motherland' - I love it!
        It’s very good. Diane Morgan has me laughing out loud.

As did the ‘watching Hollywood movie + “almost completely domesticated” white horse’ scene in PoL last night. Dominic West in magnificent form
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          .I found the third episode reverted to tedious...

Affreux!

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Having watched the ‘Great British Menu’ over the last few weeks it has struck me that there seems to be a fairly wide discrepancy between what the ‘chef’ judges have scored compared to the ‘food critic’ judges. Initially I thought that Andi Oliver’s role was a little too much a second judge and not an encourager of the chefs but my view has been revised with the dreadful judging which has been too subjective on personal tastes rather than the quality of what had been produced. If there is another series next year I hope that we will see a new panel instead of the combination of stale and pompous judgements of Matthew Fort and particularly Oliver Peyton and rather weak comments from Rachel Khoo.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Poor, beleaguered BBC4 can still do remarkable things......
              Docudrama portrait of Delia Derbyshire, the electronic sound pioneer behind the Doctor Who theme tune, that explores the idea that this extraordinary composer herself lived outside of time and space.

Lovely review here....

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Springwatch is looking good, so far.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Anyone else here hooked on ‘I can see your voice’ - probably not but so bad it’s good!
                  I saw a bit of that a few days ago - before the Eurovision thingie. To me it looked "so bad, it's really bad!" - but then what do I know.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                    We've been watching a tv detective show called 'Bosch' which has been on Amazon Prime. Well acted and scripted.
                    Finally got to the end of Bosch - helped to pass the time. I'd probably rate it at B+, which is really quite high praise given the other possible programmes on offer anywhere.

Looking forward to the next series - which hasn't been released yet.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Springwatch is looking good, so far.
                      They always seem to start up this programme when the season in question is nearly over, though!

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        They always seem to start up this programme when the season in question is nearly over, though!
                        Not quite so adrift this year with the awful weather, as the photos from a viewer of the same place 8th May 2020 and 8th May 2021 showed.
                        The theme for this evening's concert was really optimistic though
                        The Scottish Ensemble celebrates the arrival of summer

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

BBC4 is doing a nostalgia fest of children's TV. I'm not sure I've seen the Oliver Postgate programme. The problem I find with watching such things is twofold - the reminder that I am a long way from those days now, and also the regret that for all the technical wizardry available now the underlying quality of children's TV doesn't seem to be as good as some of the "oldies". However I accept that I can't be objective, and also that these days there are so many things that have to be taken into account - diversity, bias etc etc - that didn't have to be accommodated all those years ago.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            BBC4 is doing a nostalgia fest of children's TV. I'm not sure I've seen the Oliver Postgate programme. The problem I find with watching such things is twofold - the reminder that I am a long way from those days now, and also the regret that for all the technical wizardry available now the underlying quality of children's TV doesn't seem to be as good as some of the "oldies". However I accept that I can't be objective, and also that these days there are so many things that have to be taken into account - diversity, bias etc etc - that didn't have to be accommodated all those years ago.
                            Why are these programmes being shown at a time when the young viewers for whom they are intended are probably already safely tucked up in bed? Or are these repeats aimed exclusively at older members of the populace?

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                              Why are these programmes being shown at a time when the young viewers for whom they are intended are probably already safely tucked up in bed? Or are these repeats aimed exclusively at older members of the populace?
                              They are probably considered unsuitable for a young audience of today...

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

A very good night for the less watched BBC channels tonight. Not only the musical content on BBC FOUR but the new Brian Cox's Adventure in Space on BBC 2. Thank goodness for the iPlayer, making both channels' offerings available without recourse to a video recorder.

Comment

Working...
                                X