Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Anyone else here hooked on ‘I can see your voice’ - probably not but so bad it’s good!

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

We've been watching a tv detective show called 'Bosch' which has been on Amazon Prime. Well acted and scripted.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Anyone else here hooked on ‘I can see your voice’ - probably not but so bad it’s good!
        I've seen it on Gogglebox, cloughie, but never quite been persuaded to watch a whole episode. Maybe I'll try one now that you've said. I have mentioned it before, but I am hooked on this season's 'Taskmaster' which has been comedy gold throughout.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Big shout for a dark and gripping Danish series on All4: Deliver Us

The premise is clear from the outset: a group of residents in a small town have had their lives intolerably damaged by the town bully (including the violent death of one of their sons). They resolve as a group to do away with the bully.

To this extent, it’s like Murder on the Orient Express through the looking glass - focusing not on the whodunnit aftermath of the joint-enterprise crime, but on the developing motivations and preparations for the intended act.

So a patient but intriguing build-up through 6 of the 8 episodes...

... and then, that rarest of things, a conclusion that ups the tension, providing a true climax of brilliantly-delivered twists and excitement, and a coda that is both satisfying and ominous.

Well worth a watch, I reckon
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
            Big shout for a dark and gripping Danish series on All4: Deliver Us

The premise is clear from the outset: a group of residents in a small town have had their lives intolerably damaged by the town bully (including the violent death of one of their sons). They resolve as a group to do away with the bully.

To this extent, it’s like Murder on the Orient Express through the looking glass - focusing not on the whodunnit aftermath of the joint-enterprise crime, but on the developing motivations and preparations for the intended act.

So a patient but intriguing build-up through 6 of the 8 episodes...

... and then, that rarest of things, a conclusion that ups the tension, providing a true climax of brilliantly-delivered twists and excitement, and a coda that is both satisfying and ominous.

Well worth a watch, I reckon
            What was the name of the film in which Michael Caine plays an elderly man living in the East End who decides to get his own back on behalf of an old friend who, iirc, died of a heart attack as a result of the strain of having to cope with yobbos on his estate? I've never been able to make up my namby-pamby mind as to whether I was on side with the stance he took, or whether he should have been in a revolutionary organisation on the way to overthrowing the conditions that give rise to loutish bullying behaviour, and helping recruit the alienated youth to the cause.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              What was the name of the film in which Michael Caine plays an elderly man living in the East End who decides to get his own back on behalf of an old friend who, iirc, died of a heart attack as a result of the strain of having to cope with yobbos on his estate? .

Harry Brown

... a film starring, I see, Emily Mortimer - writer and director of, and featuring as 'The Bolter' in - The Pursuit of Love...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                Harry Brown

... a film starring, I see, Emily Mortimer - writer and director of, and featuring as 'The Bolter' in - The Pursuit of Love...

Ah yes, thanks vints.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Talking Pictures TV, 0450-0500 tomorrow (Tuesday 18th) - late 1930s footage of the Bournemouth Municipal Symphony Orchestra playing Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

I thought Pursuit Of Love improved vastly last night . Much less frenetic - almost moving in places. Though for the Lily James averse there was plenty to bridle at. She does this thing with her tongue (sort of licking her teeth) which is , well, weird. And how many baths is the director going to get her to have ? But all in all a much better watch

To answer my own question . The problem with The Underground Railroad is that it is horribly violent.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                      I thought Pursuit Of Love improved vastly last night ....
                      Folowing the up-thread comments begun by Eighth () I gave PoL a try - lasted just 4 minutes before deciding 'not for me'.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

I thought Pursuit Of Love improved vastly last night . Much less frenetic - almost moving in places. Though for the Lily James averse there was plenty to bridle at. She does this thing with her tongue (sort of licking her teeth) which is , well, weird. And how many baths is the director going to get her to have ? But all in all a much better watch

... I agree that the second episode was a considerable improvement - for a start I could hear what they were saying!
                        Spoiler alert - I found the third episode reverted to tedious...

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... I agree that the second episode was a considerable improvement - for a start I could hear what they were saying!
                          Spoiler alert - I found the third episode reverted to tedious...

Still had the subs on last night . Had to abandon Motherland on Sat night cos I couldn’t get them working on iPlayer . Wish I’d taken better care of my ears OR dubbing mixers are just getting it wrong..

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

Still had the subs on last night . Had to abandon Motherland on Sat night cos I couldn’t get them working on iPlayer . Wish I’d taken better care of my ears OR dubbing mixers are just getting it wrong..
                            ....depending thro' what sort of device you watch, sometimes subs do not work on live broadcast, only on demand the next day....on my Firestick they have recently changed where and how the subs work (now in top left had corner) + one of those where you end up wondering "have I turned it on or off"....
                            bong ching

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

'Motherland' - I love it!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                                'Motherland' - I love it!
                                Anna Maxwell-Martin is such a good actress and so versatile. No wonder she is so much in demand. We saw her in gruesome form as Lear's daughter, Reagan, in the Russell Beale version at the National. She has said she enjoys playing "baddies".

Comment

Working...
                                X