• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    he used to be an adjective...."Oh he's gone all Nigel Havers on us”.....
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

....in our household (in the days when i had a household)....he used to be an adjective...."Oh he's gone all Nigel Havers on us"....

....and I'm sorry to say it cloughie : but Bidding Room and such like are definitely the Sheffield Weds of TV....
      It's funny that Nigel Havers has come into the conversation. A couple of summers ago I passed him while walking my bike around the Boltons in S Kensington. He looked at me in a very odd way. I couldn't even remember his name, only the connection with Grumpy Old Men!!! I would have stopped him and asked if he happened to live in this exceptionally posh part of London. Since when I've heard that he's quite hostile to cyclists in general, and has campaigned against road closures to other than pedestrians and the two-wheel brigade in that district, so maybe that explains things.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        It's funny that Nigel Havers has come into the conversation. A couple of summers ago I passed him while walking my bike around the Boltons in S Kensington. He looked at me in a very odd way. I couldn't even remember his name, only the connection with Grumpy Old Men!!! I would have stopped him and asked if he happened to live in this exceptionally posh part of London. Since when I've heard that he's quite hostile to cyclists in general, and has campaigned against road closures to other than pedestrians and the two-wheel brigade in that district, so maybe that explains things.
        He literally went all Nigel Havers on you!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

....but the family did get hooked on Changing Rooms at one point in 90's....
          New series (reincarnation?) coming to Channel4 sometime soon I believe.

Comment

• Jonathan
            • Mar 2007

The only thing I've seen (or rather heard) Nigel Havers in recently is the very funny R4 comedy series "Reluctant Persuaders" where he plays the head of a useless advertising agency.
            Best regards,
            Jonathan

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

....in our household (in the days when i had a household)....he used to be an adjective...."Oh he's gone all Nigel Havers on us"....

....and I'm sorry to say it cloughie : but Bidding Room and such like are definitely the Sheffield Weds of TV....
              You’re not at all sorry, 8th, just own up! I think you deserve a hefty points deduction! You are now 16th obstruction!

Havers is the weakest link - goodbye!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                On the subject of which, I see that Channel 4 have drafted in Anne Robinson to shake things up at 'Countdown'. Cor blimey! What would nice Richard Whitely have made of that, I wonder?

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  On the subject of which, I see that Channel 4 have drafted in Anne Robinson to shake things up at 'Countdown'. Cor blimey! What would nice Richard Whitely have made of that, I wonder?
                  Surely too nasty for Countdown - its such a polite programme!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Surely too nasty for Countdown - its such a polite programme!
                    It needed a facelift.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      It needed a facelift.
                      I think Anne has experience on that front, S_A.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

You’re not at all sorry, 8th, just own up! I think you deserve a hefty points deduction! You are now 16th obstruction!

....so many , so many, stuff to weave around and trip over...
                        bong ching

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Anyone else enjoying those Sky Arts series on Great Directors, Great Actors? May plumb no great depths or offer the Kermode analysis of cinematic tropes, but recent efforts on Kathryn Bigelow and Tarantino were very good, a sweeping overview with film-critic observations, wider cultural appraisal and great clips. Burt Lancaster and Henry Fonda profiles were pretty insightful too.

Clips from Hurt Locker or Zero Dark Thirty (wonderful brooding soundtrack & Chastain's best role to date) will always transfix my attention...

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

I still haven't got used to the idea that I now have access to Sky Arts via Freeview. And I still (wrongly, I believe?) associate it with one Rupert....

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              I still haven't got used to the idea that I now have access to Sky Arts via Freeview. And I still (wrongly, I believe?) associate it with one Rupert....
                              I've yet to locate it - it's not where Freeview says it is, and in the course of tracking down other misplaced channels I haven't stumbled across it.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                I've yet to locate it - it's not where Freeview says it is, and in the course of tracking down other misplaced channels I haven't stumbled across it.
                                Have you been through the channel rescanning process? Freview Channel 11 works fine here. I wonder whether the signal is too weak for your scanner to pick it up?

Comment

Working...
                                X