Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... and at last - Call My Agent final series, on netflix

.... but only 6 episodes
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

BBC 2 - 'Silenced: The Hidden History of Disabled Britain'

Was on 9.00pm. Tuesday 19th January. It's on Catch Up'.

Both fascinating and affecting.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Another Scandi program tonight. Will probably try this to see how good - or not - it is. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p093440t

The Investigation.

Three weeks viewing or a couple of days for a binge on iPlayer.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Maybe a degree of been-there-done-that here, but with the writer's pedigree worth a shot....5 1-hour episodes...... if its as good as Queer As Folk & not totally yoof-party-on, I'll have a weekly date at last...

Comment

• LHC
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Another Scandi program tonight. Will probably try this to see how good - or not - it is. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p093440t

The Investigation.

Three weeks viewing or a couple of days for a binge on iPlayer.
            Based on a true, and rather gruesome case, although I understand the programme doesn't feature the crime or the killer, and instead focuses solely on the investigation.
            "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
            Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
              Based on a true, and rather gruesome case, although I understand the programme doesn't feature the crime or the killer, and instead focuses solely on the investigation.
              I hope it's not as grim as the episodes of Cardinal turned out to be. That was one series which we gave up on - stomach churning.

Comment

• LHC
                • Jan 2011

I hope it's not as grim as the episodes of Cardinal turned out to be. That was one series which we gave up on - stomach churning.
                As the publicity for the programme states that there won't be a reconstruction of the crime, and the murderer doesn't feature in the programme, you may well be spared the grimmer aspects of this story. Oh, and I agree, parts of Cardinal were surprisingly graphic.
                "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                  As the publicity for the programme states that there won't be a reconstruction of the crime, and the murderer doesn't feature in the programme, you may well be spared the grimmer aspects of this story. Oh, and I agree, parts of Cardinal were surprisingly graphic.
                  I didn't know what this was going to be about, but now it's under way I realise that it's largely based on a case from a few years ago. Fascinating. Seems that not everyone kept up with the news though, so it is "news" to them.

Seems well done, with some of the usual Scandi suspects as actors. Features the voice of Ove from A Man Called Ove ... Rolf Lassgård - amongst other well known characters.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    Maybe a degree of been-there-done-that here, but with the writer's pedigree worth a shot....5 1-hour episodes...... if its as good as Queer As Folk & not totally yoof-party-on, I'll have a weekly date at last...

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/its-a-sin
                    Utterly brilliant TV in every respect - casting, writing, directing, acting, narrative contrast and compulsion...unpredictable inevitability...
                    It can be very sharp, very funny but then, suddenly - quietly devastating....
                    Soundtrack to die 4 - from Enola Gay to Tainted Love to Hooked on Classics... It allowed me to laugh, and to cry, after a very tough week...

Proves the oldest rule of all - any subject, even a familiar one, can be made into great drama, given a touch of genius in the treatment...

Only problem for me - available complete on All4....the "don't eat it all at once" thing....

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2020

I'm currently working my way through Series 4 of 'Desmond's'. ('Father Ted' is too sophisticated for me). Tonight it will be a toss up between 'Il Trovatore', which I recorded this morning, and the Christmas edition of The Royle Family called 'The Queen of Sheba'. Tomorrow, it will be 'Minder' once I've knocked off The Times Crossword. If I get more than my customary 2 9-letter words in 'Countdown' I might then treat myself to another episode of 'Monarch Of The Glen' or 'Billy Budd'. It's not easy having the brain the size of a small planet and intellectual curiosity to match.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        Utterly brilliant TV in every respect - casting, writing, directing, acting, narrative contrast and compulsion...unpredictable inevitability...
                        It can be very sharp, very funny but then, suddenly - quietly devastating....
                        Soundtrack to die 4 - from Enola Gay to Tainted Love to Hooked on Classics... It allowed me to laugh, and to cry, after a very tough week...

Proves the oldest rule of all - any subject, even a familiar one, can be made into great drama, given a touch of genius in the treatment...

Only problem for me - available complete on All4....the "don't eat it all at once" thing....
                        5 stars from the Guardian which doesn't very often happen.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          5 stars from the Guardian which doesn't very often happen.
                          Up to ep 3 now, should finish tonight, don't worry, it only gets better (soundtrack from Joy Division to Culture Club to Gloria Gaynor) and yes - even more heartbreaking. TV Drama of a very high order...and you don't need to have "been there" or be LBGTQI to get into it...

Dramatically brave too - one of the best characters doesn't even make it past ep 1....

I think it will seem too short! How often does TV make you feel that?
                          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 26-01-21, 04:08.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

I didn't know what this was going to be about, but now it's under way I realise that it's largely based on a case from a few years ago. Fascinating. Seems that not everyone kept up with the news though, so it is "news" to them.

Seems well done, with some of the usual Scandi suspects as actors. Features the voice of Ove from A Man Called Ove ... Rolf Lassgård - amongst other well known characters.
                            Now finished this. Not horrible. Fascinating.

Very good - though some may not like it.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... writing in The Times, Camilla Long says of Lupin " I found it almost unwatchable in the default American dubbing. Switch to subtitled French, however, and it feels less frictionless and lightweight."

I agree that you should avoid the dubbed version : we think Lupin is terrific fun, and Omar Sy is wonderful.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... writing in The Times, Camilla Long says of Lupin " I found it almost unwatchable in the default American dubbing. Switch to subtitled French, however, and it feels less frictionless and lightweight."

I agree that you should avoid the dubbed version : we think Lupin is terrific fun, and Omar Sy is wonderful.
                                Good tip, ta! It was in the queue but will be re-set before watching

Interesting how dubbing changes a fillum. I recently recorded “Is Paris Burning?” on Talking Pictures TV - Alain Delon, Bruno Cremer et al... but the French all dubbed into English with no ability to reset. It’s almost unwatchable
                                Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 07-02-21, 14:57.
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X