X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    Well episodes 5 & 6 of DNA became so gripping when watched yesterday evening that they left no option but to press on to the end in one sitting.

I loved how the increasingly-compelling and moving strands of human drama were entwined with the police ‘whodunnit’ investigation, in a way that was compassionate as well as intriguing. Charlotte Rampling brought something special and convincing to this mix. I also loved the subtlety of the revelation of the ‘timeslip’ element to the narratives as part of the revelation of how the stories were connected. And then the humanity of the conclusion.

Altogether exceptional, I think.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      Very much enjoying DNA ...... 3 episodes in ...... but Lady Gould has a problem ...... no parent would ever take a bairn in a pushchair on the last ferry to Stormsville .......
      We’ve been watching “Vanished by the Lake” and then “Killer by the Lake" on All 4 – French, with subtitles. (Mrs CS is improving her French and we had been due to visit Lake Annecy and holiday in the area in May…). Not too gruesome, in comparison with the scandi-noir etc and we enjoyed the general setting and production.
      But of course (in the 2nd series) we were aware of typical herrings – all of which were red and found ourselves shouting “why would a single female detective………… on her own!” at the screen before reminding ourselves that its “just entertainment” – like Hollywood.

We decided to have a rest before “Fear by the Lake” - but then, I’ve noticed here that we can watch series 1 to 3 of Spiral. Given that often we watch an 1 hour per day + Evening news that’s our viewing sorted for a while…..

And now it looks like DNA will be worth a look - thanks - we will have to fit them in on their unavailable dates in the iPlayer.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

DNA deffo worth it. IMO, not quite as much as Valhalla, but....but....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          DNA deffo worth it. IMO, not quite as much as Valhalla, but....but....

All episodes recorded and next on the agenda
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

All episodes recorded and next on the agenda
            Last few laps of an amazing season now, Nick? No thriller today (yet) ... but God I'll miss F1 the next few weeks....
            Still, there's no shortage of TV Football now, My God.....

....and the last Episode of The Mandalorian on Friday..... a double-length finale with so much to resolve..... wow!
            (Season 3.....12/2021...! Better make the most of this one...)

Hey, we just got the legendary F1 Mercedes Doughnuts....! Thanks for everything, Lewis the Great!
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 13-12-20, 15:55.

Comment

• Stunsworth
              • Nov 2010

Spiral returns for its eighth and final series on the 2nd of January.
              Steve

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Yipee!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                  We decided to have a rest before “Fear by the Lake”.

Half-way through that one... Good stuff. It’s strangely prescient, given that it aired in France in January this year... (no more spoilers...)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    Last few laps of an amazing season now, Nick? No thriller today (yet) ... but God I'll miss F1 the next few weeks....

Hey, we just got the legendary F1 Mercedes Doughnuts....! Thanks for everything, Lewis the Great!
                    Certainly wasn’t a thriller... (I fast forwarded through the highlights). And I wish no one ill - quite the contrary in fact: I do wish Lewis had taken some extra time to recuperate so we could have seen George in the black car again. It would have been so much more interesting... But yes, it’ll be missed (although in January there’ll be a virtual F4 championship using a streamed and very realistic platform which they used in Spring this year while waiting for the real season to start, and it was surprisingly compelling (it helped having a horse in the race, of course! )

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

I'm right now watching the Suzi Lamplugh mystery documentary on CH5. Her disappearance was in an area where strange things seem to have a habit of happening: the murder of Jill Dando - also unsolved; that tube train bombing by the young man who had got on the train south of the river. It's a district I knew in childhood and which I have re-acquainted myself with since returning to live in London.

Edit The sad, infuriating story is/was yet another one of police oversights and procedural disagreements borne of departmental personality clashes, ending with recent testimony from an elderly lady (seen onscreen but anonymously) that she had been given a description of the main suspect (better be careful here) seen dispatching something large and heavy into Regent's Park Canal, (near London Zoo by the looks of it), which the plod have ***refrained*** from investigating. Suzi's parents both died following years of campaigning for justice, and I felt so sorry for her brother, still living.
                      Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 17-12-20, 00:19.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2020

Originally posted by tim2017 View Post
                        Barenboim On Beethoven: The Lost Tapes
                        In 1970, to mark the 200th anniversary of Ludwig van Beethoven’s birth, conductor and pianist Daniel Barenboim recorded 13 episodes about the man and his music at London’s Roundhouse Theatre. This two-hour compilation includes some of the best moments, while the full 13 episodes (which have never been broadcast in the UK before) can be viewed on More4 after the film. Barenboim plays extracts at the piano and discusses the late, great composer’s compositions.

When can I watch them and on what channel?

Barenboim On Beethoven: The Lost Tapes will air on Channel 4 HD (CH 104/141) on Saturday 19 December. It is also available in Apps & Games > All 4.

Barenboim On Beethoven episodes 1-13 will air on More4/HD (CH 147/195) on Saturday 19 December. They are also available in Apps & Games > All 4.

link
                        https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...channel-5-gold
                        Citing an article in today's London 'Times', Petroc informs us that 6 of the 13 were broadcast but only in the Granada TV area. For those who can't get enough Beethoven, it's only 7 years until the next big celebration!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rathfarnhamgirl View Post
                          Citing an article in today's London 'Times', Petroc informs us that 6 of the 13 were broadcast but only in the Granada TV area. For those who can't get enough Beethoven, it's only 7 years until the next big celebration!
                          On BBC Alba over the last couple of evenings, Beethoven's forgotten Gaelic melodies. I haven't seen them yet. Mrs C is learning Gaelic and is looking forward to catching this.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Not sure I'd recommend it at all - but watched "Us" very recently - BBC iPlayer - and generally reviewed favourably - https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...and-wanderlust - based on David Nicholls' (One Day) novel of the same name.

It was OK, but did the reviewers not notice that Donald seemed rather high up on the Asperger's/Autistic spectrum - or were they too tactful or concerned about pointing this out to mention it?

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

I very much enjoy the 'Britain's Most Historic Towns' series, but last night's episode about Manchester in Victorian times was particularly pertinent in terms of the current concerns about slavery in history. I had not realised the link between the mill workers, themselves suffering severe deprivation, and their support for enslaved workers in America.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Grim ?? but very funny in parts - Death of Stalin - on BBC Two right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X