X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Mackintosh: Glasgow's neglected Genius

A strange name for a programme when everywhere you go in Glasgow those days a Charles Rennie Mackintosh souvenir is close at hand, and Glasgow has built an industry around one of its most famous sons. Yet Lachlan Goudie provided an enthusiastic case for the fact that the City in which he was born had turned its back on him. I thought it was very interesting. I think it may only have shown on BBC2 Scotland this evening; perhaps set for BBC4 sometime soon. But I was left thinking that Mackintosh may have claim to be the most globally important Scottish artist - Lachlan Goudie certainly seemed to think so. Well worth a watch.
    Glasgow artist Lachlan Goudie examines the life and work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Some would say Glasgow's other great architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson was equally neglected, and hasn't acquired the same posthumous reputation!

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Not sure if they are neglected, although some of their often admired post war churches haven't survived.

One day I'm hoping to visit a few, including St Peter's.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        A strange name for a programme when everywhere you go in Glasgow those days a Charles Rennie Mackintosh souvenir is close at hand, and Glasgow has built an industry around one of its most famous sons. Yet Lachlan Goudie provided an enthusiastic case for the fact that the City in which he was born had turned its back on him. I thought it was very interesting. I think it may only have shown on BBC2 Scotland this evening; perhaps set for BBC4 sometime soon. But I was left thinking that Mackintosh may have claim to be the most globally important Scottish artist - Lachlan Goudie certainly seemed to think so. Well worth a watch.
        https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b5ydcz
        A case of the British art establishment wanting to claim him as one of ours, given that he probably had the greatest influence internationally (eg on the Austrian Sezession) of any British-born artist (in the widest definition) since Capability Brown, though his inspirations were Scottish in terms party of landscape and the Scottish baronial tradition and the singularity of his circle in terms of innovative ideas, though he did design at least one English property, in Chelsea, in which he lived, I believe.

I wonder how they're getting on with restoring the tea rooms following that awful fire.

Many thanks for posting the link John - it'd never occurred to me that one can watch regional programmes on iplayer!

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          A case of the British art establishment wanting to claim him as one of ours, given that he probably had the greatest influence internationally (eg on the Austrian Sezession) of any British-born artist (in the widest definition) since Capability Brown, though his inspirations were Scottish in terms party of landscape and the Scottish baronial tradition and the singularity of his circle in terms of innovative ideas, though he did design at least one English property, in Chelsea, in which he lived, I believe.

I wonder how they're getting on with restoring the tea rooms following that awful fire.

Many thanks for posting the link John - it'd never occurred to me that one can watch regional programmes on iplayer!
          I found out tonight that he designed a wee house in Northampton, S_A. I think it was the last of his designs. I believe that they are progressing well with the Library in the Art School. He kept such precise drawings that it has helped to make the renovation much more straightforward. Mrs C attended Glasgow School of Art and in our courting days would take me on trips through the Library and the Hen Run, with its stupendous views towards Paisley ; she looks forward to being able to revisit it soon.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

This Landmark Trust property is worth a visit - in Comrie - but it's very cold in winter - or even at other times of the year - https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/sea...-building-9109

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              This Landmark Trust property is worth a visit - in Comrie - but it's very cold in winter - or even at other times of the year - https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/sea...-building-9109
              We southerners know our creature comforts!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Terrible news overnight from Glasgow. Following last night's blaze, the second in 4 years, it seems like the Mackintosh Building in Glasgow School of Art is unsaveable.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Terrible news overnight from Glasgow. Following last night's blaze, the second in 4 years, it seems like the Mackintosh Building in Glasgow School of Art is unsaveable.
                  I would want to know who or what the hell caused this, and who was responsible for allowing it to happen. With all that timber one would think the restorers would have had someone on duty day and night to keep a permanent eye on the premises. Someone's in for one heck of a public pilloring.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

I would want to know who or what the hell caused this, and who was responsible for allowing it to happen. With all that timber one would think the restorers would have had someone on duty day and night to keep a permanent eye on the premises. Someone's in for one heck of a public pilloring.
                    I sense a strong sense of repressed anger up here, S_A, for exactly the reasons that you say.

Comment

• Mal
                      • Dec 2016

Actually this provides an opportunity to produce a new landmark in restoration because of the incredibly detailed records made of the building made after the 2014 fire. The Glasgow School of Art might be the first eternal building, or at least eternal as long as digital media exist (which given interplanetary probes should be as long as the universe exists...) Restore it and send the digital record to the nearest earth like planet!

'Miles Glendinning, a professor of architectural conservation, told BBC Radio Scotland that the building "should be restored and will be restored".

He said "remarkable" record-keeping during the restoration process following the 2014 fire meant the art school still exists in digital form.

Speaking to Good Morning Scotland, he said: "A Glasgow School of Art project team [made] a digital recording reconstruction of the whole building, not just the bit that was affected before, down to the nearest millimetre, outside and in, using photos and measured drawings.

"So the building still exists digitally even if the inside is for the moment physically absent."'

A construction expert warns the fire-ravaged structure of the Glasgow School of Art may have to be demolished.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Yes. I've not looked in great detail, but in all the coverage I've read, there's a marked lack of any speculation, still less confirmation, as to the cause. (The 2014 fire I read was caused by some sort of gas or other canister from a student's "installation"...)
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

Obviously it's sad but it's either incompetence or foul play.

One senses that the Labour Party in more competent hands - ie John Mann, Bassetlaw - would walk it when it comes to the next election.
                          Last edited by Lat-Literal; 18-06-18, 22:33.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Extraordinary, and very sad.

and another blow for Scottish Architechture.......

NVA has pulled out of ambitious plans to develop the ruin of St Peter's Seminary in Argyll.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Conchis
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                              Obviously it's sad but it's either incompetence or foul play.

One senses that the Labour Party in more competent hands - ie John Mann, Bassetlaw - would walk it when it comes to the next election.

Surely you jest....?

Comment

Working...
                              X