• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tevot
    • Nov 2010

Isao Takahata 1935-2018

Hello there,

The Japanese animator Isao Takahata passed away recently - and I thought I'd post an appreciation uploaded a few days ago on the RogerEbert.com website about his life and his work.

I knew nothing about Takahata nor his achievements until about 5 years ago when a couple of colleagues at school mentioned him during a discussion about anime - particularly his 1988 film "Graveyard of the Fireflies."

I have since seen this film and can attest to its considerable and devastating power. I can also recommend other works such as "Only Yesterday" which is an unashamed tear jerker and despite possible elements of corniness (a Japanese version of Bette Midler's song "The Rose" on the end credits for example) it still triumphs as heartfelt human drama about the possibility of being given a second chance in life and the opportunity to start afresh.

His final film as director was "The Tale of The Princess Kaguya" based on a Japanese folk-tale - in which life's beauty, joy and transience is explored. It is I feel a beautiful and beguiling picture making much of striking visuals and sound design.

All of these films imho exhibit a keen eye for detail, excellent technical craftsmanship and an emphasis in the main on well rounded three dimensional characters in which you can believe and empathise.

I wholeheartedly recommend them - and these films (for humans of all ages !!) are relatively easily available in both Japanese and English Language formats.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

The appreciation is via the link below:-

Working...
X