• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

This Country on BBC1

It's probably not to everyone's taste, but our family thinks it's hilarious. It's a sort of slow television with expletives, but the acting is incredibly good...we think.

Comedy focusing on cousins Kerry and Kurtan and their lives in the Cotswolds.
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

From what I've seen, it rivals 'Glengarry Glen Ross' for the Award For the Greatest Gratuitous Use Of the F-word.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Yes, but anyone who's been around teenagers/young adults will recognise the use of language is entirely authentic...and authenticity is what the programme is about.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        Yes, but anyone who's been around teenagers/young adults will recognise the use of language is entirely authentic...and authenticity is what the programme is about.
        That's fine, if you regard it as some sort of documentary - but it's being promoted as a comedy, isn't it?
        Anybody else out there seen it?

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          That's fine, if you regard it as some sort of documentary - but it's being promoted as a comedy, isn't it?
          Anybody else out there seen it?
          Not as yet but is does appear to have received some very positive reviews and has significant viewing figures.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

The humour isn't in the expletives. It's in the cringe-worthy (and sometimes poignantt) dysfunctional personalities of the principal characters...not to mention their village neighbours. It's difficult to put into words (as was the humour of the Royle Family). You just have to see it. And I guess it won't appeal to everybody.

Come to think of it, it's best defined as a satire on 'the documentary'.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Was there an intended Rik Mayall(?) reference? He had that lugubrious resigned phrase, 'I dunno, this country …' which left the rest to be guessed.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

I thought it was a reality thing but then I saw being played by actors and thought well that’s different!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                X