• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Tatty-bye! Ken Dodd RIP

1927-2018

The Liverpool entertainer was recently released from hospital after being treated for a chest infection.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Although I was never much of a fan of his Diddymen side I do remember being rendered completely incapable with laughter when he put his singing talents to good(and sometimes quite cruel) use. 'The Lass with the delicate haar' became shorthand in our family for pretentious or precious performance. I do remember one occasion when he sang something 'straight' and my mother(didn't like TV let alone Ken Dodd) listened with enjoyment - and then remarked it was a pity he'd got distracted by comedy....

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

If anybody can have a good stab at doing gags through all eternity, Doddy is the man.

I saw him perform one of his legendary shows a few years ago. A man who loved what he did, and did it exceptionally well. Which is all you can ask for , really.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Very sorry to hear this news. I warmed to him in later years, especially around the time of the R3 programme. He was ultimately the only tax avoider I ever liked because I sensed there was an element of naivety there. But as with Bob Monkhouse, Les Dawson and Kenny Williams, he was cleverer and deeper than he seemed on the surface. He was, extraordinarily hard working too while bringing pleasure to millions. As the months go by, we are losing more and more of the old guard. Somehow they seemed more real. We shall not see their like again.

The verbal arts on Radio 3 and elsewhere: drama, poetry, books, philosophical debate, general culture

RIP Ken Dodd

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

We appear to have two Ken Dodd threads.

He made an appearance in Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet film, as Yorick, who was already dead, normally being represented by his skull. Using a mock-up of KD's skull (with his teeth still in place), there's a brief flashback to Yorick in his past life. So many cameos in that film.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            We appear to have two Ken Dodd threads.

He made an appearance in Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet film, as Yorick, who was already dead, normally being represented by his skull. Using a mock-up of KD's skull (with his teeth still in place), there's a brief flashback to Yorick in his past life. So many cameos in that film.
            Not really - it was just me getting muddled.

In bringing forward one of the two earlier Night Waves threads, I inadvertently posted my tribute on one before deleting it.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

He was one of the greats. One of the last of the old music hall artists, as well.

RIP Ken. Hope Diddyland is good to you!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                He was also a fine Malvolio.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
                  • Nov 2010

Recall seeing him in panto at what was then the Hippodrome in Coventry in the early 1950s. RIP.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Asked what he thought of Brahms, Ken Dodd said they were the best things ever invented for pushing babies around.

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Good to be reminded of these threads! I see that on one of them I mentioned the only time I saw him live; that was in 2010, when he he joined the Crosby Symphony Orchestra to recite Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, and did it rather well.

It's the only time I saw him perform, but I used to see him in the audience at orchestral concerts at the Phil. He always sat in the front row.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        Good to be reminded of these threads! I see that on one of them I mentioned the only time I saw him live; that was in 2010, when he he joined the Crosby Symphony Orchestra to recite Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, and did it rather well.

It's the only time I saw him perform, but I used to see him in the audience at orchestral concerts at the Phil. He always sat in the front row.
                        That is very interesting, Jean, thank you - I think it underpins the point about depth.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Quite stricken although not surprised by this news. I saw Ken Dodd in his marathon performance
                          a couple of times in the 80s, steeped in the fading traditions of Music Hall which also made me wish
                          that he would tackle Archie Rice in John Osborne's, The Entertainer!

On a personal level, I had a chance meeting with Sir Ken in Dec, 1968, at the BBC cafeteria,
                          Wood Lane TV Centre. I was playing Jack Warner's relief in Dixon of Dock Green, in
                          the Christmas edition of the series and both of us were in police uniform, ready for the
                          evening recording. KD suddenly arrived at our table with the retort, "I arrest you both for
                          being in charge of a rissole!" He went on to tease Jack that he was the only cop in town who'd
                          never be charged with a driving offence as he was held in such high esteem by the force.

Truly a lovely man and and a great performer. RIP

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

He's also remember for his chart-clogging singles in the 60s.

Comment

• Conchis
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              He's also remember for his chart-clogging singles in the 60s.
                              Some of them are quite painful to listen to, I find.

I was taken to see him when I was seven years old (Royal Court, Liverpool - a theatre he did much to keep open). It began with a 'kiddies' section' featuring the Diddymen, etc.and there were bits of variety but it all gradually morphed into KD, on his own, telling jokes. And yes, he went on forever......I think we left before the end, because he were tired and needed to drive back to Cheshire.

His death certainly marks the end of an era in comedy and light entertainment.

Comment

Working...
                              X