X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    Comments about poor writing on Hold the Sunset will probably deter me from watching it. Watched Mum, being a fan of Lesley Manville. Enjoyable but might not stick with it. Great to see her career really blossoming in its later stages (opposite of John Cleese?). She was excellent with Jeremy Irons in Long Day's Journey into Night at Bristol Old Vic (now West End) and the film Phantom Thread. The best TV comedy I've seen recently was Channel Four's Derry Girls - also Catastrophe and Inside No 9.
    An acquired taste, would you say? I wasn't sure if it would register 'over there' and amazed it has surfaced on this thread.
    I thought it was funny: a good script, some accurately drawn characters and situations, and great comic acting from the 'Girls'

Erin and her pals and Sister Michael were particularly good, I thought. Yes, a show that grows.
    Last edited by Padraig; 15-03-18, 21:45.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
      An acquired taste, would you say? I wasn't sure if it would register 'over there' and amazed it has surfaced on this thread.
      I thought it was funny: a good script, some accurately drawn characters and situations, and great comic acting from the 'Girls'.
      Ch 4 must have given it a publicity campaign as it was mentioned beforehand and I did find it a good comedy - notably the contribution of the the world weary headmistress/nun character (and her script lines).

Only problem was that it coincided with the replacement of my u/s cathode ray TV with a smart one, which is more fussy about the signal strength than its predecessor. I didn't manage to record the later episodes and I am having difficulty with the creaky All4 app which never seems able to finish an episode (take a bow, iPlayer - 99% of the time its trouble free, here on my cable connection). I hope there is a 2nd series.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Episode 1 of 'Hold The Sunset' attracted 6.2 million viewers. Last night this had fallen to 3.8 million. The figures (literally) speak millions.

Comment

Working...
        X