Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Since I haven't watched much television over the past quarter century, I probably have forfeited my right to comment, but since that never stopped me before, here goes....I think that it is a fairly familiar observation that most situation comedies run out of material after awhile. I remember watching MASH episodes where the show, in it's eleventh year, seven years longer than the actual Korean conflict, was showing flirting between a very grey Hawkeye (Alan Alda) and a distinctly menopausal Hotlips (Loretta Swit). I had stopped regularly watching it a few seasons before and was amused by the lack of amusement of the show in it's prolonged death throes. I remember Cheers and other shows striking me the same way at the end

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

The old 'jumping the shark' syndrome!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        Since I haven't watched much television over the past quarter century, I probably have forfeited my right to comment, but since that never stopped me before, here goes....I think that it is a fairly familiar observation that most situation comedies run out of material after awhile. I remember watching MASH episodes where the show, in it's eleventh year, seven years longer than the actual Korean conflict, was showing flirting between a very grey Hawkeye (Alan Alda) and a distinctly menopausal Hotlips (Loretta Swit). I had stopped regularly watching it a few seasons before and was amused by the lack of amusement of the show in it's prolonged death throes. I remember Cheers and other shows striking me the same way at the end
        I accept that point but am intrigued about what it is that fills the gaps.

Surely it isn't radio in the modern era - or is it?

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        I haven't seen much of Seinfeld, Richard. It kept getting shifted about when it was on the Beeb and I could never keep track. But there was an episode which I recall and which completely blew me away in which the story is told backwards. I thought it was genius. Wouldn't mind another view of it.
        'Malcolm in the Middle' was another excellent American sitcom badly treated by the Beeb. Maybe the schedulers couldn't work out if MITM was a kids' programme or an adult programme cos it got bumped about all over the place. Anyway there was a wonderful episode of it which I wouldn't mind seeing again either which involved a huge firework and which the young Master C and I laughed about for days afterwards. Of course, Malcolm's Dad went on to be the lead in 'Breaking Bad', but I think I preferred him in MITM.
        Other than in terms of memory, it is quite difficult to ascertain which shows were broadcast here and when they were broadcast.

It is also puzzling what led to the decisions as it seems pretty clear that a lot of very good programmes remained in the US.

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        I believe that every episode of 'Seinfeld' is available to those who subscribe to Amazon Prime.
        Thank you - that is helpful.

I have stumbled on another problem with DVDs apart from price.

Many are only playable on American DVD players!

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Oh yes!!

“Boys, I’d like to introduce you... to the Komodo 3000”

Oh thank you so much, Cal. Just sent the link to the young 'un! I'm typing through the tears!

...and thanks for the pointer re Seinfeld,Richard...I shall go looking for that one.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
            Bob Newhart has confirmed what I have for most of my life believed which is that he is a genius, particularly in timing, and deserves a higher placing that six -.
            You will get no argument from me on that one, Lat...and still a genius as he shows with those irregular appearances as Professor Proton on Big Bang. Bob was also in a progamme where he played the Innkeeper in a Vermont Hotel. I think that was called 'Newhart', Lat, and I loved it...I'd certainly have it in my top 20.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              You will get no argument from me on that one, Lat...and still a genius as he shows with those irregular appearances as Professor Proton on Big Bang. Bob was also in a progamme where he played the Innkeeper in a Vermont Hotel. I think that was called 'Newhart', Lat, and I loved it...I'd certainly have it in my top 20.

Yes, absolutely - I think I had better put it as The Bob Newhart Show/Newhart in the list just as I have I Love Lucy/The Lucy Show.

Different shows - but same key people.

It is now placed 4th rather than 6th with the original top 3 remaining the same.

Comment

Working...
              X