X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

American Situation Comedy Series - The Provisional Results of My Review

This list will be changed on the basis of any convincing arguments put forward :

01 The Phil Silvers Show/Bilko
    02 Cheers
    03 The Big Bang Theory
    04 Get Smart
    05 Mister Ed
    06 The Bob Newhart Show
    07 Dennis the Menace
    08 Police Squad
    09 Mork and Mindy
    10 The Golden Girls/The Golden Palace
    11 The Simpsons
    12 I Dream of Jeannie
    13 The Addams Family
    14 Bewitched
    15 Frasier
    16 The Munsters
    17 The Flintstones
    18 Rhoda
    19 Taxi
    20 Alf
    21 Benson
    22 Soap
    23 The Nanny
    24 Happy Days
    25 The Andy Griffith Show
    26 Everybody Loves Raymond
    27 The Monkees
    28 Chico and the Man
    29 The Mary Tyler Moore Show
    30 Leave It To Beaver
    31 Green Acres
    32 Mash
    33 The Dick Van Dyke Show
    34 Gilligan's Island
    35 I Love Lucy/The Lucy Show
    36 Roseanne
    37 All in the Family
    38 Barney Miller
    39 The Jeffersons
    40 The Wonder Years
    41 Seinfeld
    42 Murphy Brown
    43 Gomer Pyle
    44 F-Troop
    45 Spin City
    46 Evening Shade
    47 My Favourite Martian
    48 3rd Rock From The Sun
    49 The Adventures of Pete and Pete
    50 Dharma and Greg
    51 The Beverly Hillbillies
    52 Phyllis
    53 Something Wilder
    54 Hazel
    55 Car 54 Where Are You
    56 Wait Till Your Father Gets Home
    57 Mr Belvedere
    58 Valerie
    59 Petticoat Junction
    60 Becker
    61 Perfect Strangers
    62 Cybill
    63 What's Happening
    64 Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    65 Make Room For Daddy
    66 Family Affair
    67 Night Court
    68 WKRP in Cincinatti
    69 Malcolm in the Middle
    70 Dream On
    71 Who's The Boss
    72 Bakersfield PD
    73 Married With Children
    74 Welcome Back, Kotter
    75 My Three Sons
    76 Sanford and Son
    77 Mad About You
    78 Maude
    79 Home Improvement
    80 The Facts of Life
    81 Hogan's Heroes
    82 Punky Brewster
    83 Coach
    84 Silver Spoons
    85 Laverne and Shirley
    86 Three's Company
    87 The Odd Couple
    88 Kate and Allie
    89 Alice
    90 Will and Grace
    91 News Radio
    92 The Burns and Allen Show
    93 My Two Dads
    94 Dinosaurs
    95 The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis
    96 The Partridge Family
    97 Everybody Hates Chris
    98 Family Ties
    99 Full House
    100 My Name is Earl
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

For me, 'Frasier' always has been, and always will be, No. 1. It was literate, very funny, and offered a brilliant recreation of the classic French farce (so many doors and such brilliant timing!). Special mention must be made of John Mahoney, who has sadly passed away. My only criticism is that the show somewhat lost its way when Niles and Daphne finally got together, thus removing one of the key elements of the show's humour. The introduction of various members of Daphne's family became pretty tiresome.
    (I watched Derek Jacobi's award-winning 'turn' again this morning).

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Lat, there's a typo. You have Mash at #32 when you meant #1.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        For me, 'Frasier' always has been, and always will be, No. 1. It was literate, very funny, and offered a brilliant recreation of the classic French farce (so many doors and such brilliant timing!). Special mention must be made of John Mahoney, who has sadly passed away. My only criticism is that the show somewhat lost its way when Niles and Daphne finally got together, thus removing one of the key elements of the show's humour. The introduction of various members of Daphne's family became pretty tiresome.
        Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        They are both very good but they don't quite have the highbrow quality of, say, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QShpMImZdU

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

'Big Bang' and 'Frasier' share that great delight of comedy programmes, the unseen character - Mrs Mainwaring is, of course, another. I loved the 'Odd Couple' but it's probably pretty dated now.

I was sad to see the death of John Mahoney, the great Marty Crane - a terrific character. Frasier came and went in standard, but when it was good it was terrific. '3rd Rock from the Sun' would be in my top 5, I have to say...smart comedy.

What's your favourite Situation Comedy theme tune, Lat, by the by? I suppose Beverly Hillbillies takes a bit of beating.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            'Big Bang' and 'Frasier' share that great delight of comedy programmes, the unseen character - Mrs Mainwaring is, of course, another. I loved the 'Odd Couple' but it's probably pretty dated now.

I was sad to see the death of John Mahoney, the great Marty Crane - a terrific character. Frasier came and went in standard, but when it was good it was terrific. '3rd Rock from the Sun' would be in my top 5, I have to say...smart comedy.

What's your favourite Situation Comedy theme tune, Lat, by the by? I suppose Beverly Hillbillies takes a bit of beating.
            That's a very good question, JC, and there are several contenders.

This one reached No 1 in the US in 1976:

John Sebastian - Welcome Back - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iROjAu1q-y4

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Thank you for your comments, LMcD.

I agree and yes - very sorry to hear of the passing John Mahoney.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                Is your list suposed to be in order of merit, Lat? I won't give Beef a fight over Mash (different times, different strokes), but Seinfeld belongs at the very least in the top 2 or 3, alongside (possibly) Frasier. Episode 164, The Betrayal, one of the best episodes of any comedy series, ever. I first caught on to Seinfeld in the early '90s when it was on a graveyard slot on BBC, watched it again from the start on satellite more recently. I'm guessing you haven't seen it. There's an awful lot of dross ranked above it on your list

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Ah, yes - the unseen character. Another fine example was Arthur Daley's missus ('Her Indoors')

'Frasier' also excelled in its use of the more physical side of comedy - Niles And The Ironing Board comes to mind. The supporting and recurring 'minor' characters (Noel, Gil, Roz and Kenny) also made major contributions.'

And let's not forget Eddie (well, both Eddies)

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    Is your list suposed to be in order of merit, Lat? I won't give Beef a fight over Mash (different times, different strokes), but Seinfeld belongs at the very least in the top 2 or 3, alongside (possibly) Frasier. Episode 164, The Betrayal, one of the best episodes of any comedy series, ever. I first caught on to Seinfeld in the early '90s when it was on a graveyard slot on BBC, watched it again from the start on satellite more recently. I'm guessing you haven't seen it. There's an awful lot of dross ranked above it on your list
                    Yes - it is in order of preference. Seinfeld was originally in the Top 20. However, I started to watch programmes that I hadn't seen in many decades and nostalgia led to them being placed higher up. Throughout the 100, there is also a strand of "nostalgia" for what I never knew. Dennis the Menace, The Andy Griffith Show, Green Acres, Gomer Pyle, Petticoat Junction, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.....these are among many early shows that weren't known to me. There have also been a lot of "finds" from the '70s onwards, either because they were never broadcast in this country or, if they were, I was never aware of them. Broadly, my tastes range from the clever and the offbeat to the immature. I am put off by productions which I sense are lacking in warmth and also by the formulaic. With a few exceptions, I can get more from a black and white era sitcom than a typical 21st century one.

As with anything, there were various issues.

Seinfeld, for example, suffered a little not because of what it is but its links to the highly rated The Larry Sanders Show which I don't like for its language or its tone. I can't stand the British Till Death Us Do Part for its racism but I concluded somewhat uneasily that its American equivalent All in the Family was often amusing and the emphasis in it seemed more appropriate. Bunker isn't as ugly as Garnett to me but I suppose I could be letting him off a bit because of the US-UK cultural gap. Chico and the Man and Bakersfield PD are two of the great lost series in which race is also tackled with varying degrees of subtlety. They are among many of the inclusions which are interesting indicators of changes in social history.

The Cosby Show would have been included but given all of the hoo-ha around Bill Cosby now, I no longer know what to make of it. Series involving allegations of misconduct such as Two and a Half Men and Martin have been left out. Frasier has a pretty good placing even though I came to it late. I was initially wary of it because it was a spin-off from Cheers which was almost an iconic extension of my young adulthood, just as Friends became for a later generation. I have never understood the latter series or really wanted to understand. Mash is a fascinating one because it seemed too advanced for me when it was originally broadcast and in some ways unfathomable. Hence, I delayed it but I am finding it good to watch now.

There is always the matter of identification in sitcom. Not having a family myself, I tend to relate more to depictions of work and social situations I have been in and friends and family when young. Slightly weirdly, my Nan was very close in character to Grandad in Only Fools and Horse, albeit more honest. I think I have now found my father's clumsiness in the man in Who's The Boss and Hazel is/was definitely my Aunt Doll. But I was especially delighted to be taken back to my best mate in young childhood, Simon, who was Dennis the Menace. The similarity is uncanny and it could explain a lot about how I turned out in the round. The only difference between his mate and me is I had his respect in some ways and was less pliable.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 07-02-18, 12:39.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

My nephew was here for dinner last night. He is going to the U.K. for the first time. My wife and I were commenting on how we love traveling there and how despite her Irish and my Eastern European Jewish Heritage, since we are both such Anglophiles, we feel as though we have returned to our roots. He said well no wonder, every time I am at your house you are watching or listening to the BBC, you read English Authors, go to the Shakespeare Theatre, and so forth.
                      Now I get out of bed, start drinking Earl Grey, go to my favorite Internet Forum which is always such an exemplar Of English refinement, and start reading a thread on...American sitcoms. The stuff Corporations melt our brains with when they wants us to stay parked in our sofas to watch their pitches for products that keep us from smelling offensive or make our teeth whiter.
                      I’m going back to bed

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        My nephew was here for dinner last night. He is going to the U.K. for the first time. My wife and I were commenting on how we love traveling there and how despite her Irish and my Eastern European Jewish Heritage, since we are both such Anglophiles, we feel as though we have returned to our roots. He said well no wonder, every time I am at your house you are watching or listening to the BBC, you read English Authors, go to the Shakespeare Theatre, and so forth.
                        Now I get out of bed, start drinking Earl Grey, go to my favorite Internet Forum which is always such an exemplar Of English refinement, and start reading a thread on...American sitcoms. The stuff Corporations melt our brains with when they wants us to stay parked in our sofas to watch their pitches for products that keep us from smelling offensive or make our teeth whiter.
                        I’m going back to bed
                        There is a British list which I might bring out but I am overly familiar with those programmes and decided to explore other avenues. Views will be dependent on whether or not you like sitcom. I happen to think that comedy is one of the things that the Americans do well. Music is another and so too public broadcasting, ie NPR. I fully agree with you on advertising. Now that we have so much more of it, television and radio are far less comfortable to negotiate. I am forever turning the ads down. The BBC is the exception but even that now is blighted by trailers. Not ever having been to the United States - I am wary of the gun culture, the absence of a health service and the travelling involved which is far beyond my furthest destination of Greece - I have mixed views of it. The selection of pluses isn't wholly dissimilar from your positive concepts of Britain. But we currently have Michael Portillo on the BBC travelling by train across the US and what strikes me most is how it must be impossible for any American, let alone anyone else, to have an overview. It is just so geographically huge - and diverse.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

'Big Bang' and 'Frasier' share that great delight of comedy programmes, the unseen character - Mrs Mainwaring is, of course, another.
                          Ah, yes - the unseen character. Another fine example was Arthur Daley's missus ('Her Indoors')

'Frasier' also excelled in its use of the more physical side of comedy - Niles And The Ironing Board comes to mind. The supporting and recurring 'minor' characters (Noel, Gil, Roz and Kenny) also made major contributions.'

And let's not forget Eddie (well, both Eddies)
                          Yes - these are good points.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                            There is a British list which I might bring out but I am overly familiar with those programmes and decided to explore other avenues. Views will be dependent on whether or not you like sitcom. I happen to think that comedy is one of the things that the Americans do well. Music is another and so too public broadcasting, ie NPR. I fully agree with you on advertising. Now that we have so much more of it, television and radio are far less comfortable to negotiate. I am forever turning the ads down. The BBC is the exception but even that now is blighted by trailers. Not ever having been to the United States - I am wary of the gun culture, the absence of a health service and the travelling involved which is far beyond my furthest destination of Greece - I have mixed views of it. The selection of pluses isn't wholly dissimilar from your positive concepts of Britain. But we currently have Michael Portillo on the BBC travelling by train across the US and what strikes me most is how it must be impossible for any American, let alone anyone else, to have an overview. It is just so geographically huge - and diverse.
                            Well, sorry to see that your fears are keeping you from traveling to a Country that so obviously interests you. I was a bit surprised from your post to find out that we don’t have a Health Care System, seeing as how when I leave my house after drinking my English Tea and checking in on the English Cultural scene I earn my daily bread toiling away in it, but perhaps my dementia has arrived and I am just imagining this. Well, as long as they keep paying me it’s a most tolerable illusion.
                            Gun fears are real, but it’s more a matter of perception; you wouldn’t believe the number of people that I’ve talked with that won’t go to the U. K. because they are afraid of being mowed down by a truck driving ISIS member outside of Westminster.
                            Seriously, one can get temporary health care coverage here from plans that are sold via the Internet or Travel Agents. Gun violence is in the main confined to areas that for most will not be touring attractions, and at the National PArks you have more to fear from being eaten by a hungry Bear than from gun violence. Why not sign up for a guided tour that will steer you clear of danger zones?
                            Life’s not a Spectator Sport, LL.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              Is your list suposed to be in order of merit, Lat?
                              Clearly not, since where is The Larry Sanders Show ?

Comment

Working...
                              X