X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Spencer on Clydeside - Colours of the Clyde

In the mid 1970s I went to an exhibition in the Third Eye Centre on Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. It was a showing of Stanley Spencer's wartime images of the Clyde shipbuilders, along with some others inspired by his time in Port Glasgow and Greenock. I'd never heard of him before that day. It remains probably the most mind-blowing exhibition I ever saw. The power and dimensions of those paintings has remained with me these last 40-odd years. I enjoyed a return to that afternoon last night with a short documentary from BBC Scotland on BBC 4. Terrific images of Spencer and some great images of the Port, presented by Lachlan Goudie...and of course, those paintings.
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    In the mid 1970s I went to an exhibition in the Third Eye Centre on Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. It was a showing of Stanley Spencer's wartime images of the Clyde shipbuilders, along with some others inspired by his time in Port Glasgow and Greenock. I'd never heard of him before that day. It remains probably the most mind-blowing exhibition I ever saw. The power and dimensions of those paintings has remained with me these last 40-odd years. I enjoyed a return to that afternoon last night with a short documentary from BBC Scotland on BBC 4. Terrific images of Spencer and some great images of the Port, presented by Lachlan Goudie...and of course, those paintings.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...s-of-the-clyde
    Many thanks for posting this, he's a particular favourite and I enjoyed visiting the small gallery at Cookham devoted to his work a few months back, where I first heard about these pictures.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

the slightly quirky programme about Spencer's daughters was enjoyable too. There's clearly quite a lot of archive film in existence of the man himself working and talking.

Comment

Working...
      X