• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

4/4 Introduction and Allegro - Radio 4

Has anyone heard this?

Comedy drama series about the exploits - musical and otherwise - of a string quartet.

I didn't know what to expect. In fact I was expecting something fairly naff. But au contraire, it was clearly written by someone with some inside knowledge, and the extracts were of a Bartok SQ no less. And it was very amusing. I gather it's going to be a series of plays.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Episode 2 (Scherz0) on R4 tomorrow...Monday....at 2.15pm

Second violin Fergus is taken ill with a suspected heart attack. By Sarah Wooley.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

V. promising. Fine acting.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I am embarrassed to say that episode 2 was a dreadful disappointment. A cross between the Famous Five and Casualty. I suppose its purpose was to show how dysfunctional the Quartet members were...in all matters apart from music. But I think we knew that already, and it didn't need 45 mins to reinforce the point. The only point of interest for me was hearing a snippet of a Haydn SQ played without the second violin part. It sounded quite convincing!

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Yes, agreed, a total mess which should have taken 5 mins and was stretched way, way past breaking point. 1st epi was far better than this.

Comment

Working...
          X