X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

ART on ITV 4.1.18

....ITV trying to get an ART programme together....Tim Marlow presents: Great Art....tonight 4.1.18 Canaletto....

....I'll tune in or more likely record, to give encouragement....
    bong ching
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    ....ITV trying to get an ART programme together....Tim Marlow presents: Great Art....tonight 4.1.18 Canaletto....

....I'll tune in or more likely record, to give encouragement....
    - 10:45 - 11:45pm: I need my beauty sleep! (About 27 hours a day these days.)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

TM's a fine broadcaster and his programmes are usually worth catching. He made several fine series on Five until that channel was freed of its remit to produce arts programmes. Until Kate Bryan came on the scene - younger, prettier yada yada yada, he was Sky Arts' go to art historian - so interesting to see what he does on a new platform.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        TM's a fine broadcaster and his programmes are usually worth catching. He made several fine series on Five until that channel was freed of its remit to produce arts programmes. Until Kate Bryan came on the scene - younger, prettier yada yada yada, he was Sky Arts' go to art historian - so interesting to see what he does on a new platform.
        Blackfriars?

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Apologies. Computer playing-up on the settings. Tried to delete the offending final superfluous comment but it won't budge.
          You also have to scroll down to read my penultimate para. What a F*** up!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

I seem to remember Marlow did the TV series Canaletto in London a few years back. Always an impressive, unswaggery, uneccentric, informative presenter.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
              Apologies. Computer playing-up on the settings. Tried to delete the offending final superfluous comment but it won't budge.

In the words of the recorded voice on the Tube: "Mind the Gap"!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Stanley Stewart's Original

Watched and recorded this fascinating documentary last night, albeit puzzled by its screening on ITV at the witching hour.
                The Great Art season will be shown in five parts, starting with Canaletto and will follow with the impressionists, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, and Vermeer with a commitment to a second series. "Great art is intelligent and accessible TV that stretches viewers, but isn't about being highbrow or exclusive." I'll leave you to talk among yourselves!

Tim Marlow restricts himself to opening comments but we are left in the capable hands of Lucy Walker, (Senior Curator of Paintings, Royal Collection Trust and Rosie Razzall, Curator of Prints & Drawings, at RCT at various sites.
                Both lucid and seated, no strutting around as they walk to or around camera! I found this helpful so that I could focus on the minutiae of the architecture with the sharp eye of the artist as he sought a balance of power in the use light and placement of the action. One of the locations, The Piazzetta looking towards San Giorgio Maggiore, c,1723-24, was chosen for a six set of paintings, commissioned by Consul Joseph Smith, and it was extraordinary to see Canaletto's preserved sketchbook - lovingly handled with gloves - with his written comments and the use of a camera obscura even captured his fingerprint on the architecture!

Amazed. too, that Canaletto had no formal training except some guidance from his father. He was often short of money and the canny Joseph Smith negotiated the sale of all his paintings to George III for £20,000 - a rip-off.

We're told at the end that the programme has been edited but will be released on DVD. I've just checked with the river people and the date is 2 February, price £12.99. A
                hardbook edition by the Ms's Walker and Razzall will follow at almost £30. Mmm. I'll wait and see if a DVD boxset will follow. The TV print is pristine and I'm still dazzled by the content. I look forward to the rest of the series. and I'm still dazzled by the content.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                  Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

In the words of the recorded voice on the Tube: "Mind the Gap"!
                  The un-F***d-Up version of Stanley's post #5 is herewith presented. (How on earth that gap was created is anyone's guess! )

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

ah , so it wasn't expert use of White Space as I first assumed.......
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

I agree with Stanley - an excellent, understated (but crammed with information), and fascinating programme. Exactly how I would wish Arts documentaries were presented.

(£20,000 in 1760 is about four million quid today - a single Canaletto painting sells for around twelve million.)

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Many thanks for restoring the fragmented layout, ferney. I foresee the need for a new computer as an early priority
                        Back on topic, I've noticed a change of direction in the BBC 4, three-part series on Musicals, presented so well by Neil Brand, as well
                        as his role as piano accompanist. Suzy Klein was ostensibly the presenter but was sidelined and almost made redundant
                        by his presence. Good luck to her but the change of focus greatly enhanced the context of the programme.
                        Canaletto was, indeed, crammed with information and I needed a further viewing before penning my comments.

Comment

• Pianoman
                          • Jan 2013

Yes, this turned out to be much better than I first thought, and I shall eagerly await the others...I really miss good art docs, and we still pore over the BBCs 'Private Life of a Masterpiece' from a few years ago - like great music, it's dead easy to look time and again at great art, especially if the voice over is Sam West...)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                            ... we still pore over the BBCs 'Private Life of a Masterpiece' from a few years ago -

Comment

Working...
                            X