• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Sunday 10 Dec - 9 pm Leonora Carrington: The Lost Surrealist

On BBC4 tonight
    Examining the turbulent life of the English-born surrealist artist and author who remained largely unknown until recently. A significant participant in the movement's heyday in 1930s Paris, she later lived in Mexico and New York in pursuit of her unique artistic vision.

I take it the BBC has transmitted this programme before: anyway I thought people might appreciate it being brought to their attention. I can find no thread discussion on the forum.
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

Fascinating - what a forgotten talent. Extraordinary surrealist images. Yet I’d never heard of her.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I take it the BBC has transmitted this programme before: anyway I thought people might appreciate it being brought to their attention. I can find no thread discussion on the forum.
      No - tonight was its first transmission. I had encountered Carrington's work in Amanda Vickery's series on women artists from four years or so ago - even so, when I saw the name, the first idea that came to my mind was the friend of Lytton Strachey

This was an excellent programme, and demonstrated how significant - and just how GOOD - her paintings are. Thoroughly recommended - good call, S_A
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
        Fascinating - what a forgotten talent. Extraordinary surrealist images. Yet I’d never heard of her.
        My reaction also. I kept thinking of Hieronymous Bosch - Garden of Earthly Delights.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          I kept thinking of Hieronymous Bosch - Garden of Earthly Delights.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

There was an exhibition of her work at Tate Liverpool in 2015.

She ran off with Max Ernst, drank with the surrealists – and kept her tea under lock and key. Charlotte Higgins on the dazzling life and art of Leonora Carrington

Tate Liverpool presents an extraordinary exhibition of the fantastical works by Leonora Carrington. The exhibition encourages reconsideration of the

But the Telegraph reviewer, instead of focussing on what made her special, chose to see her primarily as a failed surrealist:

By the end of this repetitive exhibition, Alastair Sooke wondered whether we should even consider Leonora Carrington as a Surrealist at all

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jean View Post
              the Telegraph reviewer, instead of focussing on what made her special, chose to see her primarily as a failed surrealist
              Her work has many unique qualities of course, not just her paintings but also her writings and in particular the memoir-like Down Below.

Comment

Working...
              X