X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Why do you do a couple of line spaces and then put a full stop after them?
    ... o, sometimes I do a lot more than a couple of lines.

Originally posted by jean View Post
    Its because he wants more SPACE to surround his contributions.

You can't make more space at either the top or the bottom of a post, unless you type something into the space.

There are ways of disguising what you're doing, though. Here's one:

... ahh, the old [ COLOR ] / [ /COLOR ] trick ...

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      ....for those who get fed up of my '....',.... besides being a super cooool, creative kinda guy....I do it because I am dyslexic and it allows me a]to see the words/phrases better on the page b] not to have to use proper grammar/punctuation (which I would instantly forget if you were so nice as to instruct me....)
      Hadn't noticed you doing anything funny, eighth. Well, I had, but not that
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

...why would one want more space?
        Anything out of the ordinary draws attention to the content of the post, and away from the more humdrum efforts either side of it.

Or so they may hope.

For my part, I find that the 'last edit' (if it appears) comes too close to the content of the post, and I like to distance myself from it.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... ahh, the old [ COLOR ] / [ /COLOR ] trick ...

Better than speckling your page with dots (which I have now surgically removed)!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

... o, sometimes I do a lot more than a couple of lines.

It's all coming out now....admitting to cocaine addiction....
            bong ching

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post

For my part, I find that the 'last edit' (if it appears) comes too close to the content of the post, and I like to distance myself from it.
              ... yes, I think that was what first drew me to this tic - the 'last edit' is painfully close, and I always distance myself from it; subsequently it's become a bit of a habit...

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

Books of this period abound in families who, though not rich, don't seem to need to work in order to support themselves.

Did Virginia Woolf ever work, apart from her writing? Upper middle-class families seemed to live on the money acquired by some mercantile forebear.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                  Books of this period abound in families who, though not rich, don't seem to need to work in order to support themselves.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Did Virginia Woolf ever work, apart from her writing? Upper middle-class families seemed to live on the money acquired by some mercantile forebear.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

....yuck damn bourg b'eoisie....may their quills and nibs forever squirl....
                      bong ching

Comment

• Pabmusic
                        • May 2011

Not just writers,either. RVW was a good example. (Of course, he was also married to one of Virginia Woolf's cousins.) When news of the first performance of A London Symphony was received in early December 1913, he was just leaving for a family holiday in Switzerland and Italy; it meant that he had to plan an early return - he had to come back from abroad in February, rather than April. In the meantime, he had to arrange for George Butterworth, Bevis Ellis and Francis Toye to revise the score for him. (They were three young men living on allowances from wealthy fahers. Bevis Ellis, who financed the performance, was killed a couple of months after Butterworth; he left £40,000 - about 2.5 million today).
                        Last edited by Pabmusic; 30-11-17, 18:30.

Comment

• muzzer
                          • Nov 2013

I just assumed that their father had been very well off and had left them well provided for. I just wondered whether either had been at Oxford or Cambridge, both of which had women's colleges by then.
                          Aren’t they the beneficiaries of a legacy of unspecified magnitude.......? Bit of a McGuffin imho, as it detracts from the worthiness of their motives. But praps Forster was also observing that only ladies in no need of a fortune might act altruistically, or at least try to...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Excellent article in Saturday's Times Review by Prof. John Sutherland. "There is no flesh in the Helen adultery. Katherine Mansfield couldn't decide 'whether Helen was got with child by Leonard or by his fatal forgotten umbrella"

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                            Aren’t they the beneficiaries of a legacy of unspecified magnitude.......? Bit of a McGuffin imho, as it detracts from the worthiness of their motives. But praps Forster was also observing that only ladies in no need of a fortune might act altruistically, or at least try to...
                            They are "six-hundred pounders", jointly worth £150,000 a year in today's money. "You and I and the Wilcoxes stand upon money as upon an island" (Margaret to Helen in the book). The second Wilcox marriage clearly asexual....Margaret a closet lesbian according to Forster biographer Nicola Beauman (she admits to an "awful, criminal defect" in her personality)....Henry will have to look for another Jacky in the future if he wants sex.....

A dismal tale which peters out...at least Charles giving Leonard a damn good thrashing, John Cleese style, livened things up a bit. By the end, I just didn't care about any of them. Was I supposed to?

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... some nice frocks. And I was very taken by the performances of Matthew Macfadyen and Hayley Atwell.

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

... some nice frocks...
                                And did you notice, their bosoms were a proper shape?

So often, the right frocks are spoiled by inauthentic corsetry.

Comment

Working...
                                X