Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

....i don't remember them being quite so well placed in the book....i'm sure ff will soon tell us the up to the minute contemporary take on their finances pretty soon; she's good like that....
    bong ching

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Don't read Henry James - read Edith Wharton instead!

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
        Don't read Henry James - read Edith Wharton instead!
        ... Edith Wharton is marvellous, I agree. But you should read them both.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

just wikied that....<<Edith Wharton was an American novelist, short story writer, and designer. Wharton combined an insider's view of American aristocracy with a powerful prose style. Her novels and short stories realistically portrayed the lives and morals of the late nineteenth century, an era of decline and faded wealth. She won the Pulitzer>>

....jeez the number of people who win a b'Pullizer....has now become just about my benchmark of what not to read....
          bong ching

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
            ....i don't remember them being quite so well placed in the book....i'm sure ff will soon tell us the up to the minute contemporary take on their finances pretty soon; she's good like that....

I just assumed that their father had been very well off and had left them well provided for. I just wondered whether either had been at Oxford or Cambridge, both of which had women's colleges by then.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

....I thought I remembered that their loss of their home put them in a far more precarious situation than in the TV serial....
              bong ching

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

just wikied that....<<Edith Wharton was an American novelist...
                You mean you had to look her up?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

....I thought I remembered that their loss of their home put them in a far more precarious situation than in the TV serial....
                  Was it precarious? I was once what was genteely referred to as a 'PG' with a family at a very classy London address when their lease came to an end and they had to move, I suppose because a new lease would have been horrendously expensive. I was stunned to discover they didn't own their own house (we did!). They moved from Knightsbridge to Baron's Court and I suppose they considered that 'precarous living'. But weren't they (I mean the Schlegels) hoping they might be able to move to Howards End? Not like moving to the Isle of Dogs.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    They moved from Knightsbridge to Baron's Court .
                    ... a pedant writes - Barons Court (but Earl's Court) .

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... a pedant writes - Barons Court (but Earl's Court) .
                      Oh, well, it might have been Earls Court. Why do you do a couple of line spaces and then put a full stop after them?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

....well TV wise....it was only in this last episode [3] that Margaret has even seen it....Helen had no designs on it....

Does Leonard Bast narrate the novel....
                        bong ching

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

....well TV wise....it was only in this last episode [3] that Margaret has even seen it....Helen had no designs on it....

Does Leonard Bast narrate the novel....
                          No, EM Forster does, doesn't he? Odd little buttings-in here and there?

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            ...Why do you do a couple of line spaces and then put a full stop after them?
                            Its because he wants more SPACE to surround his contributions.

You can't make more space at either the top or the bottom of a post, unless you type something into the space.

There are ways of disguising what you're doing, though. Here's one:

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                              • Nov 2010

....for those who get fed up of my '....',.... besides being a super cooool, creative kinda guy....I do it because I am dyslexic and it allows me a]to see the words/phrases better on the page b] not to have to use proper grammar/punctuation (which I would instantly forget if you were so nice as to instruct me....)
                              bong ching

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                                Its because he wants more SPACE to surround his contributions.

You can't make more space at either the top or the bottom of a post, unless you type something into the space.
                                I'd sort of twigged that, but why would one want more space?

Comment

Working...
                                X