• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Roy Dotrice is Dead. 94.

A good age and a great career.

I first became aware of him in the titular role in Dickens Of London (1976). Others will remember his Jack Cade/Edward lV double act in The Wars Of The Roses in the 60s. He also played Firs in The Cherry Orchard when he was in his thirties.

No hesitation in acclaiming him as a great actor - up there with Olivier, Gielgud and Richardson.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... Albert Haddock

Known for: Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Amadeus, Beauty and the Beast

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

... and Mozart père in the film of 'Amadeus'.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

And an RAF POW in the same camp as my father, I remember him (my father) once telling me.
        I wonder if he honed (or even acquired) some of his acting skills entertaining the prisoners.

Comment

• un barbu
          • Jun 2017

A wonderful Aubrey in 'Brief Lives.'
          Barbatus sed non barbarus

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Sad news - but such an illustrious career and a long and happy personal life.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... Albert Haddock

Known for: Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Amadeus, Beauty and the Beast

One of my favourite TV programmes from way back with Dotrice and the magnificent Alistair Sim. I used to love it...sadly, think most of these programmes have been lost.
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Memory lane again! As a teenager, 1948, I had a holiday in Cleethorpes where
                Roy Dotrice was the heartthrob in weekly rep- a run-down joint by the bracing seaside;
                his talent in his mid- 20s very much to the fore. Fifteen years later he forged ahead in the emerging years of the RSC in tandem with a distinguished reputation on TV; John Aubrey
                in Brief Lives instantly come to mind. His marriage to actress Kay Newman brought a new
                generation of talent with their two daughters, Michele and Karen. Can't recall a biography,
                he was probably too busy! RIP, Roy.

Comment

• Conchis
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2014

I hope the stuff he did for American television paid well, because that's ALL he seems to be remembered for by those under 50 (that and being 'Betty's Dad').

Very sad when actors are remembered only for their most ephemeral work.

Comment

• Arnold Bax
                    • Sep 2017

Roy Dotrice was a fine actor and will be sorely missed. His daughter Michelle was of course the long suffering Betty to Michael Crawford's Frank Spencer in 'Some mothers do 'ave em', and was married to Edward Woodward, who got his just deserts in 'Wicker Man'. Surely an acting dynasty to rival the Redgraves or the Richardsons?

RIP Roy

Comment

Working...
                    X