• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Auden on BBC2

Anyone watch the programme this evening? Some of the contemporaneous footage was interesting, as was the idea that Auden's themes resonate just as much with our time as his.
    Last edited by ardcarp; 01-10-17, 10:33.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Very little explanation of his politics. I was wondering if that aspect of the programme trod softly on purpose for fear of treading on some people's dreams.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

I enjoyed it. I hadn't seen much of that footage before. I could see that he had a certain charm, and he read his own poetry extremely well, I thought - not always the case with poets. I was surprised how much of it I knew. I could recite almost all of it along with him or the other readers. Wonderful stuff. Although I have always felt many of his themes were still relevant, as great literature always is, I had never thought of a parallel between September 1939 and September 2001 before.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Much enjoyed here too, though I got a little confused about where he was living when!
        For once, the background music seemed much more appropriate: it was good to see Bernstein conducting The age of anxiety.
        Loved the Stravinsky clip, too!

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Yes, good to see Igor as a close-up talking head!
          Last edited by ardcarp; 01-10-17, 13:36.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

A hero of mine since reading him for A levels decades ago. I hadn't spotted that this was on and caught the latter half only. It seemed very well done and I'll try to watch it on catchup. I didn't know about the curtains-closed benzedrine-fuelled writing days.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

I enjoyed the programme. Coincidentally, one of the items on this morning's 'Private Passions' was Samuel Barber's setting of 'The Monk and his Cat', with the composer at the piano.

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

Just watched it on iPlayer. Now re-reading A.L. Rowse's "The Poet Auden: A Personal Memoir".
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                X