• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Ace series: such a good fit in our never more incomprehensible, nonsensical world.
    Yeh, right. Cool.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Yeh, right. Cool.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Ace series: such a good fit in our never more incomprehensible, nonsensical world.
        So I'm told, though the only bit I really found amusing was the football commentary. Made us realise just how good the regular commentators e.g Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer are - even if we don't always think so. I liked the line which went something like "A draw's not a win in my book."

The documentary programme about Cassini was much better TV though, IMO.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

I've just watched it - not much different from previous series, suggesting perhaps that the promise of the basic premise has now been exhausted.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

The scene in Mary Berry or was in Nadija Hussein or perhaps even Frankie Howard in the second episode is priceless .

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              I've just watched it - not much different from previous series, suggesting perhaps that the promise of the basic premise has now been exhausted.
              ... yep, I thought they were just walking thro' their parts; it's all a bit thin now. But it was good in its day.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... yep, I thought they were just walking thro' their parts; it's all a bit thin now. But it was good in its day.
                I had the same feeling too, watching the first episode....
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Me too.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Strange thing about a formula. Some people lock in on the unchanged formula, others on the differing details. I watched Have I Got News For You back when it began, and after a few occasions became bored by the same programme every week. Others are still laughing (if it's still on ever).
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I don't think that W1A is formulaic at all . At present , it is showing how cynical many public sector redundancy programmes are amongst other things .

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Perhaps Bryn can report on whether it's worth switching on for the 2nd episode - having watched it on Me.TV or is it BBC.me?

Barbs seems to suggest that there is at least one laugh in there, though does that justify sitting through 30 minutes?

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          I don't think that W1A is formulaic at all . At present , it is showing how cynical many public sector redundancy programmes are amongst other things .
                          The formula lies in putting it within the same context of BBC management and the various characters. Some formulas survive longer than others. Not having watched this or any series, I was going by the similar reactions of the recent posters and it seemed to coincide with my own experience, though I would have to admit that would also include I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue and other BBC series which others never seem to cease to find hilarious.

But then, I'm not keen on comedy <po-facedemoticon>
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

It is not a formula it is a setting .

A formula would be if the stories were the same but with different characters - as in soap operas - where infidelity , illness , financial fraud , alcoholism come round again and again and again .

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              It is not a formula it is a setting.
                              I'll bow to your superior knowledge as I've never seen it, but I meant something more precise than just the 'setting': the BBC setting, the set of characters (are they broadly the same from series to series?), the nature or source of the comedy, running gags such as the job titles: I would describe these as having been a 'winning formula', being a combination of these recurring features.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                I'll bow to your superior knowledge as I've never seen it, but I meant something more precise than just the 'setting': the BBC setting, the set of characters (are they broadly the same from series to series?), the nature or source of the comedy, running gags such as the job titles: I would describe these as having been a 'winning formula', being a combination of these recurring features.
                                Yes, plus the various characters each have a set of words that they utter repeatedly (in various permutations) in any situation... "Cool yeah no problem yeah cool cheers" / "So that's all good then" &c. &c.
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X