X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Strike:

I'm a fan of JK Rowling. I loved reading the Harry Potter books to my kids. They were so great to read out loud. And the films were great family outings as we all grew up together. I was even one of those folk who enjoyed reading 'Casual Vacancy' - even enjoyed the Beeb adaptation. So I'm not the best person to take a recommendation from for Strike: Cuckoo's Call, the adaptation of her novel under the nom de plume of Robert Galbraith, but I thought Tom Burke a fantastic character. I could have watched him wander through the streets of London happily all night. And his sidekick, Holiday Grainger was a terrific foil. The plot's a bit muxxed ip, but I thought the atmosphere created was terrific. For me it was kind of what Dirk Gently wasn't, much as I wanted that to work. Haven't read the Galbraith books. Think I might rectify that.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

I nearly didn't watch - I didn't like The Casual Vacancy series a couple of years ago - but there wasn't anything else on, so I gave it a go on the i-Player. Very glad I did - an intriguing plot well performed by everyone.

(Annoying scheduling, though - parts one and two on consecutive nights, part three a week later!)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I am enjoying this - as you say, John, a great lead pair. I daresay the interiors of his office are shot in a studio, but his office building, the dingy staircase, proximity to Leicester Square underground etc., are just like the premises of the late lamented London Spanish Guitar Centre in Cranbourne Street - there is a street level guitar shop in the show.

I speed-read the first HP 20 years ago, when my nieces were reading it, and was involved with the shooting of the penultimate film - Deathly Hallows Part 1 - when Warner Bros built Shell Cottage (ch 26) in our sand dunes. The building, preparation etc. took weeks, the exterior of Shell Cottage was actually on screen for about a nanosecond, to the frustration of the props/art dept who were grumbling about the director at the time.....(Shell Cottage interiors were shot back in Pinewood Studios)

I never find Martin Shaw's accents very convincing.....

Comment

• muzzer
        • Nov 2013

Really enjoying this, agree entirely about both leads. Isn't his office shown as being in Denmark Street? Would be good to get some publicity, albeit indirect, about its ruination (on the other side of the street) by the developers/Crossrail. There is a judicious use of fictitious street names in the story which is quite intriguing.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
          Really enjoying this, agree entirely about both leads. Isn't his office shown as being in Denmark Street? Would be good to get some publicity, albeit indirect, about its ruination (on the other side of the street) by the developers/Crossrail. There is a judicious use of fictitious street names in the story which is quite intriguing.
          Selective - South Audley Street, which actually exists, gets mentioned. While wondering why they bother, trying to figure out the apparently Kensington location of the victim's penthouse address, based on my childhood locale memories, is indeed intriguing!

Comment

Working...
          X