X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Books - what's worth reading?

I don't normally read much fiction - hardly any in fact, though I do read technical and science books.

During the last few months I've "invested" around 99p some days on books to go on my Kindle devices, including some crime fiction, and various other books of different genres. I still figure that much fiction is really not worth reading, but some is entertaining.

What do others think might be worth reading?

Currently I have a few on the go, including:

Leena LehroLainien - Before I go - quite good - detectives from Finland

William Boyd - An ice-cream war - interesting topic - first world war period in Africa

John Le Carre - The pigeon tunnel - which seems more factual than fiction

I am suspicious of blockbusters, and best sellers - and books by authors who are hyped up, and whose books
    are numbered bestsellers at aircraft outlets, but which may be remaindered in a few years time.

I have read some of Ian Rankin's books - entertaining, but perhaps eventually rather limited - and I've met Ian a few times and like him, but that doesn't mean I have to like all his books or read all of them. Someone who really can reduce me to hysterics is Christopher Brookmyre - but his work may verge on the obscene - but very funny. Some of the Scottish writers take crudity to levels which very probably other English writers do too, but those are not popularised to the same extent.
Working...
X