X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

It was 50 years ago - Sgt Pepper

As part of activities linked to the release of Sgt Pepper 50 years back the Beeb have posted this interesting link. You can go through the cover and see clips of film from the archives about characters on there. Just watched a great one of Warhol and Burroughs, but Diana Dors and Laurel and Hardy and others are there.

As The Beatles' iconic album turns 50 meet its cover stars through BBC archive with Arena

To mark 'Irish Friday' (TM) here's George Bernard Shaw.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 26-05-17, 08:22.
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Wonderful. Many thanks for posting johncorrigan, I'd have missed this without your prompting.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gradus View Post
      Wonderful. Many thanks for posting johncorrigan, I'd have missed this without your prompting.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Yes, 50 years ago today (approx), 50 years of days in our lives, Now i'm a few more years than 64, got by with loads of help from our friends, it's getting better? Thanks jc for the heads up on what's been celebrated. I am trying to decide whether to get the remastered album on CD.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Yes, 50 years ago today (approx), 50 years of days in our lives, Now i'm a few more years than 64, got by with loads of help from our friends, it's getting better? Thanks jc for the heads up on what's been celebrated. I am trying to decide whether to get the remastered album on CD.
          Me too!
          Anybody know if it's an improvement on the CD of the original, or a disappointment?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

I must be the only person in the world of my age who isn't particularly interested...

...sorry!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

I must be the only person in the world of my age who isn't particularly interested...

...sorry!
              No need to apologise, if you don't like it, fair enough, your choice.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

No need to apologise, if you don't like it, fair enough, your choice.

I think I prefer Revolver and Rubber Soul, but Pepper is an important and much-loved part of my Musical education. I'm very fond of my twentieth anniversary CD incarnation of the album, and feel no need to replace it.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Oh gosh. Was it really 50 years ago? I remember it as though it were yesterday.
                  Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 26-05-17, 19:12. Reason: Stupid typo

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

I think I prefer Revolver and Rubber Soul, but Pepper is an important and much-loved part of my Musical education. I'm very fond of my twentieth anniversary CD incarnation of the album, and feel no need to replace it.
                    What I would be interested in, would be the considered and personal views of those around at the time who bought this,and other" cutting edge" pop/rock albums,EG Hendrix, Velvets, Beefheart, Doors , and to hear how music changed, happened, connected in their minds, not the thoughts of journalists after the fact or through a revisionist lens.
                    Obviously one can read about this, but a personal, fans eye view has value.

Just as an example, my personal perspective on punk probably accords the Stranglers, ( middle aged men by Sid's standards) a much higher profile in terms of creating trends and being musically influential, than history might give them.
                    The history of how the Ramones have been perceived over time is also instructive.
                    Last edited by teamsaint; 26-05-17, 14:59.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

I think I prefer Revolver and Rubber Soul, but Pepper is an important and much-loved part of my Musical education.
                      I agree wholeheartedly with that analysis. Pepper was different but not necessarily better.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Never really 'got' The Beatles. My brothers were committed to The Rolling Stones...

... but for me May 1967 was The Kinks and Waterloo Sunset.

Haven't really listened to much such music since...

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

I agree wholeheartedly with that analysis. Pepper was different but not necessarily better.
                          Personally, I think Revolver would be my Desert Island Beatles album, but my introduction to the Fab Four, and for that reason some of the most influential muscl, was the Hard Days Night EP,passed on to me by a cousin. ( And I love Her, I Should have known better, Tell me Why,If I fell).

I'd happily spend a good long time studying the composition of some of those songs. The first , long held vocal note of " I should have known better" , is such a neat idea, for example.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            ...the Hard Days Night EP,passed on to me by a cousin. ( And I love Her, I Should have known better, Tell me Why,If I fell).

I'd happily spend a good long time studying the composition of some of those songs. The first , long held vocal note of " I should have known better" , is such a neat idea, for example.
                            I had that one too, ts. Such a delight.

I think one of the things that set Sgt Pepper aside was the quality of the production. Also it was pretty innovative at the time to run the tracks together and for me the song order is wonderful...and that cover and the wee things contained within...it was part of a whole experience. My criticism is that it sometimes feels a bit one-paced, but I love it nonetheless and still give it the full LP treatment once in a while - still got my beat-up original in the cupboard, stripes and all.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              What I would be interested in, would be the considered and personal views of those around at the time who bought this,and other" cutting edge" pop/rock albums,EG Hendrix, Velvets, Beefheart, Doors , and to hear how music changed, happened, connected in their minds, not the thoughts of journalists after the fact or through a revisionist lens.
                              Obviously one can read about this, but a personal, fans eye view has value.

Just as an example, my personal perspective on punk probably accords the Stranglers, ( middle aged men by Sid's standards) a much higher profile in terms of creating trends and being musically influential, than history might give them.
                              The history of how the Ramones have been perceived over time is also instructive.
                              As appropriate to someone in their late teens, early twenties in the second half of the sixties I think I dabbled in every kind of music around and there were no boundaries.
                              There could be essay or two there or at least several conversations over a pint or two of something suitable.

Comment

Working...
                              X