• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Young Dancer BBC4

I like watching ballet but know very little about its finer...er... points. However, if I did know about it I guess I would be absolutely apoplectic about the BBC's presentation. Endless preludising (when did the show actually start?) plus endless, mindless talk; and very little time spent on the dancing. The very fact that we have to go to the website to see the performances is in itself ridiculous.

Pitting one genre of dance against another in the final is going to be even more pointless than trying to judge between a violinist and a tuba player in Young Musician.

Is there another thread about this anywhere?
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I like watching ballet but know very little about its finer...er... points. However, if I did know about it I guess I would be absolutely apoplectic about the BBC's presentation. Endless preludising (when did the show actually start?) plus endless, mindless talk; and very little time spent on the dancing. The very fact that we have to go to the website to see the performances is in itself ridiculous.

Pitting one genre of dance against another in the final is going to be even more pointless than trying to judge between a violinist and a tuba player in Young Musician.

Is there another thread about this anywhere?
    I don't know, but my reaction to seeing the tailend of a trailer about this is similar to my comments elsewhere about the insulting coverage of Young Musician and Choir of the Year. I simply cannot understand the mindset which sweeps genuine talent and effort under the TV carpet of obscure locations and odd timings, yet is happy to give endless prime-time to talentless wannabes.
    OK it's a thankless task as you say to try and compare different types of musician /dance, but at least it celebrates what the people involved have achieved and perhaps expands viewers' horizons about instrumental, choral and dance performance. It's also a much-needed chance to feel good about something we can do well in this country, and inspiration and encouragement for those involved, or who might want to be so.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

This might make amends:

BBC Hardtalk - Michaela DePrince - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/n3ct2khx

Inspirational!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
        This might make amends:

Inspirational!
        Indeed! What an incredible triumph over the most horrific adversity. I watched in awe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
          This might make amends:

Inspirational!
          Indeed - thanks for drawing attention to this incredible woman. Kinda puts things in proportion (the commentariat always says "perspective") - not of course that it should have to.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Indeed! What an incredible triumph over the most horrific adversity. I watched in awe.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Indeed - thanks for drawing attention to this incredible woman. Kinda puts things in proportion (the commentariat always says "perspective") - not of course that it should have to.
            I am very pleased that you were moved by this programme and fully agree with your comments.

Thank you for the feedback.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Reading this thread, early this afternoon, reminded me that I still hadn't transferred a Bolshoi production of Spartacus, rec in Paris, 2008, to new hi-fi equipment with improved picture and sound. Carlos Acosta a veritable powerhouse in the title role, sustaining his expressive extensions and big, manly leaps throughout 2hrs 20mins of visual excitement. Perhaps Khachaturian's score lacks subtlety although its love theme subsequently dominated a popular BBC Sunday evening serial some years earlier.

I partnered this performance with a documentary in the Imagine series, 2002ish, which traces the career of the Cuban star, from a troubled upbringing in Havana, to his emergence as the Royal Ballet's first black principal dancer, hailed as the new Nureyev - and matching his magnetic leaps. I don't recall subsequent repeats of this attractive double bill and was glad to watch it again.

Comment

Working...
              X