Un Chien Andalou, BBC4, 22.30-22.50hrs, Tues, 4 April.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Un Chien Andalou, BBC4, 22.30-22.50hrs, Tues, 4 April.

A long awaited outing for Luis Bunuel's 1928 silent surrealist classic, Un Chien Andalou, albeit not for the squeamish! The script co-written with Salvador Dali. Also two consecutive documentaries on surrealism from 21.00hrs. Essential viewing for me after some dire scheduling on BBC 4 of late, eg, I've just looked at the website for Friday, 31 March, and squirmed when I saw that Top of the Pops (TOTP) are featured for 7 consecutive hours, 21.00-04.00hrs. In turn, I opted for a more tantalising alternative as I transferred several off-air videos to DVD during the week: Peter Brook's stylish production of Don Giovanni, (2002), A 2004 Prom; Debussy La Mer and Messiaen, Eclairs sur l'Au-dela...(Illuminations of the beyond), BPO/Simon Rattle; and a 2008 Prom, RVW anniversary. 'Mettle more attractive'. Recorder at the ready, strictly for my own use, of course.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

I'll keep an eye open for that.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

I have it on a much treasured commercial DVD, but will try and catch the broadcast nonetheless.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        I'll keep an eye open for that.
        Wicked!

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Bump! And after it join the Q.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

A dazzling experience - and such a pristine print, too. My mind is still racing and am about to do a transfer to DVD before cyberspace interferes! Thoroughly absorbed by the Desmond Morris documentary, too, but the Bunuel feature now takes centre stage as I think on.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Gotcha! Bunuel film and two surrealism docs now on DVD.

More unfurled memories before falling asleep in the early hours. I first saw Un Chien Andalou as a teenager at a film society in the post WW2 era and, seeking guidance on the disturbing imagery, a sympathetic librarian produced an under-the-counter copy of Jean Genet's, A Thief's Journal, for my edification, followed by Magnus Hirchfield's tome on Aberrations, I began to grasp the world of S/M relations as an early voyage of discovery in so many facets of life. A couple of deades later, I played the psychopath in Patrick Hamilton's, Rope, - two homosexuals murder a friend for the thrill of it and conceal his body in a trunk from which they serve cocktails to a party including his father and girlfriend. During rehearsals, I held-court on the theme of domination, noting askance looks from colleagues on my articulate knowledge. And,yes, I also played, twice, the scheming husband in Hamilton's, Gaslight!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                A dazzling experience - and such a pristine print, too. My mind is still racing and am about to do a transfer to DVD before cyberspace interferes! Thoroughly absorbed by the Desmond Morris documentary, too, but the Bunuel feature now takes centre stage as I think on.
                I thought Philippa Perry was most engaging in the preceding programme, "How to Be a Surrealist with Philippa Perry". Have we seen her on telly before?

Comment

Working...
                X