• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I Know Where I'm Going (1945): BBC 2, Sat, 21 Jan '17

My memory unfurls on noting that I Know Where I'm Going,(IKWIG) 1945,
    will be shown yet again on BBC 2, Sat 21 Jan, 08.30-10.00hrs; must be a decade since I posted on R3 about a screening which started a lively discussion, including members who had visited the island of Mull and confirmed the existence of several locations. Always a pleasure to revisit this romantic drama - I view an off-air DVD recording annually - of a feisty young woman setting off on a journey to a Scottish landscape with a commitment to marry a rich landowner and...

I was a schoolboy when I first saw this film in 1945, at Aberdeen, in the post-WW2 era and became enraptured by its mystique and folklore which always attracted me to NFT screenings in my London years.
    Wendy Hiller was an ideal casting for the headstrong heroine, although Deborah Kerr was favoured for this role of Joan Webster by director, Michael Powell, after her radiant performance in Powell's, The Life & Death of Col Blimp, 1943. I first saw Wendy Hiller as Eliza Doolittle in the splendid film version of Pygmalion, late 30s. As a thesp in the 60s/70s, I got to know Wendy in the West end theatre circuit, always direct and down to earth. I asked whether she was likely to sanction a biography and she instantly told me that she couldn't warm to such an idea. Such a shame as I always made a point of following her distinguished stage career. A powerful stage presence and so subtle in suggesting vulnerability, or unexpected surges of anger. IKWIG, as a film, strikes a perfect balance between the classical, the romantic, and the rhapsodic.

Further, I also anticipate Saturday's screening as I also have an off-air video, now on DVD, of a 30mins documentary on The Making of IKWIG, 1995, made by a female journalist on the New York Tribune, a devotee of the film and encouraged - sponsored? - by Martin Scorsese, another fervent admirer of the Powell & Pressburger team. Powell settled in LA in the 60s and married his editor, Thelma Schoonmaker. Powell was thrilled and touched by an early set of stills at various locations, and filmed in colour which made him realise his mistake by filming in monochrome. Later, Thelma arranged for the journalist to talk to Powell by phone but, alas, he died before they could meet.

I also treasure my Powell & Pressburger DVD boxset with pristine remastered prints of many of their titles, bearing in mind that they also enjoyed a highly creative team filming under the production head of The Archers for several decades. In particular, I instantly recall the vibrant colour mix of The Thief of Bagdad, 1940, Life & Death of Col Blimp, 1943, A Matter of Life & Death, 1946, Black Narcissus, 1947, The Red Shoes, 1948, Gone to Earth, 1950, & The Tales of Hoffmann (1951) - each title favoured with shelf-room here. This weekend, I look forward to matching IKWIG with The Making of Documentary and feel that BBC2 has missed a trick by failing to do likewise in their scheduling.

Additionally, the Powell & Pressburger output is widely discussed in two biographies: Michael Powell - A Life in Movies, Heinemann, 1986, and a second volume, Million-Dollar Movie, 1992, Heinemann. A treasure trove, strongly recommended.
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Over the years me and Mrs C have occasionally detoured to the phone box by the waterfall at Carsaig on Mull on our way back from Iona, Stanley...a wonderful spot but a tight squeeze of a drive, and then down to the pier for a picnic. One of Scorsese's all time favourite films. A joy!
    Europe destinations hold many mysteries and marvels for any traveler to dive into and enjoy. With tips and tricks picked up on the ground you can learn from our mistakes and start your trip off on the right foot.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 22-01-17, 13:15. Reason: slightly wrong number

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Terrific film

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Thanks for the prompt Stanley - I've only just seen your post, but happily the film is already on iPlayer so now safely downloaded in HD!

(A Matter of Life and Death probably the film I'd take to my desert island, if limited to a single one - seen countless times)

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Rejoice, rejoice! I've transferred IKWIG and the subsequent 1995 documentary from HD to DVD; delighted by the pristine 4:3 ratio print, too. Perhaps the rights for the documentary have expired, a pity as it provides a lot of fascinating minutiae; Roger Livesey, the Laird of Kiloran, never made it to the Scottish locations in Mull as he was commited to the run of a play in London and his stand-in had to learn how to move like Livesey in long-shot; his dialogue with Wendy Hiller was later staged at Denham Studios, along with the treacherous sea sequences, off-shore Kiloran.

Memories for me, too, as in the early 70s I did a lot of bread and butter TV roles for television (accrued my mortgage deposit for a London flat from this source) and used to lunch at the BBC North Acton rehearsal block, invariably sharing a table at the canteen with John Laurie during his Dad's Army stint - give him a Michael Powell cue about IKWIG or Life & Death of Col Blimp and he was off! 'Micky' this and Micky' that, including his short fuse but always quickly forgiven as he never bore a grudge. Also had a direct appeal to his leading ladies! The partnership between Powell and Emeric Pressburgher apparently was a remarkable liaison of the meeting of minds.

My favourite scene in IKWIG is the golden wedding celebration by two elderly workers on the estate at Moy Castle. Powell contracted members of the famous Glasgow Orpheus Choir/Hugh Roberton, as guests to perform several Gaelic songs, followed by a rendition of 'Ho-ro, my nut-brown maiden, as he intercut with Wendy Hiller a couple of rungs up, on a step ladder, supported by Livesey at floor level. Both sing along with a growing intensity in the increasing chemistry of their mutual attraction with the moment highlighted when Livesey sharpy turn his head to square with Hiller on "...You're the maid for me'' - a sense of frisson in the cinema each time I saw it. The film still has a magnetic charm today with its folklore of a changing Britain at the end of WW2 in 1945. A haughty Hiller refers to the village postmistress as poor because she can't provide change for a pound. Livesey responds, 'They don't have much money but they're not poor.'

Also in high spirits as I took advantage of the £10 off, one day pledge on Amazon, yesterday; a boxset of Mstivlav Rostropovich - complete recordings on DGG. Not as generous as the complete Mozart at almost half price a few months ago but 'twill serve! Oop north in Auld Reekie, 1964, I harassed the Gateway Theatre company manager to get me tickets for the morning run-through rehearsals of the Beethoven Cello Sonatas, partnered by Richter. Memories still vivid.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Wonderful stuff - just watched the film. Fascinating re R Livesey's scenes...

Footnote - a fine version of the song on Cleo Laine Live at Carnegie Hall - a big wink at "my handsome, winsome Johnny"

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
              Rejoice, rejoice! I've transferred IKWIG and the subsequent 1995 documentary from HD to DVD; delighted by the pristine 4:3 ratio print, too. Perhaps the rights for the documentary have expired, a pity as it provides a lot of fascinating minutiae; Roger Livesey, the Laird of Kiloran, never made it to the Scottish locations in Mull as he was commited to the run of a play in London and his stand-in had to learn how to move like Livesey in long-shot; his dialogue with Wendy Hiller was later staged at Denham Studios, along with the treacherous sea sequences, off-shore Kiloran.

Memories for me, too, as in the early 70s I did a lot of bread and butter TV roles for television (accrued my mortgage deposit for a London flat from this source) and used to lunch at the BBC North Acton rehearsal block, invariably sharing a table at the canteen with John Laurie during his Dad's Army stint - give him a Michael Powell cue about IKWIG or Life & Death of Col Blimp and he was off! 'Micky' this and Micky' that, including his short fuse but always quickly forgiven as he never bore a grudge. Also had a direct appeal to his leading ladies! The partnership between Powell and Emeric Pressburgher apparently was a remarkable liaison of the meeting of minds.

My favourite scene in IKWIG is the golden wedding celebration by two elderly workers on the estate at Moy Castle. Powell contracted members of the famous Glasgow Orpheus Choir/Hugh Roberton, as guests to perform several Gaelic songs, followed by a rendition of 'Ho-ro, my nut-brown maiden, as he intercut with Wendy Hiller a couple of rungs up, on a step ladder, supported by Livesey at floor level. Both sing along with a growing intensity in the increasing chemistry of their mutual attraction with the moment highlighted when Livesey sharpy turn his head to square with Hiller on "...You're the maid for me'' - a sense of frisson in the cinema each time I saw it. The film still has a magnetic charm today with its folklore of a changing Britain at the end of WW2 in 1945. A haughty Hiller refers to the village postmistress as poor because she can't provide change for a pound. Livesey responds, 'They don't have much money but they're not poor.'

Also in high spirits as I took advantage of the £10 off, one day pledge on Amazon, yesterday; a boxset of Mstivlav Rostropovich - complete recordings on DGG. Not as generous as the complete Mozart at almost half price a few months ago but 'twill serve! Oop north in Auld Reekie, 1964, I harassed the Gateway Theatre company manager to get me tickets for the morning run-through rehearsals of the Beethoven Cello Sonatas, partnered by Richter. Memories still vivid.
              Diamond wedding !

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                Diamond wedding !
                Indeed, Barbs, diamond wedding! A senior moment likely to increase as I reach the start of my 87th year later this week so, please, bear with me.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  Wonderful stuff - just watched the film. Fascinating re R Livesey's scenes...

Footnote - a fine version of the song on Cleo Laine Live at Carnegie Hall - a big wink at "my handsome, winsome Johnny"
                  There's hardly a single Powell & Pressburger film that falls flat.

Comment

• aeolium
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                    There's hardly a single Powell & Pressburger film that falls flat.
                    Indeed, and it's extraordinary the impact that Hungarian emigré directors and producers had on film in the 1930s and 1940s - as well as Pressburger, Alexander and Zoltan Korda and Michael Curtiz, to name some of the most prominent ones.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

I have to say I don't find the sparkle in the on screen relationship between Hiller and Livesey that others do, and as for the "Corryvreckan" episode, was anyone, even at the time, ever taken in by Livesey coolly repairing the engine as they drifted towards certain death while Hiller bailed them out of an Atlantic storm with what appeared to be a frying pan? For me, the most memorable moments are the show stealing scenes of a young Pet Clark.

If pressed, my Top 10 of Powell & Pressburgers would be:

1. The Red Shoes
                      2. A Canterbury Tale
                      3. Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
                      4. A Matter of Life and Death
                      5. The Battle of River Plate
                      6. Black Narcissus (Jean Simmons - phew!)
                      7. 49th Parallel
                      8. One of our Aircraft is Missing
                      9. Ill Met by Moonlight
                      10. Tales of Hoffmann/I Know Where I'm Going

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Watched my off-air DVD copy of the film and the later 1995 'Making of...' documentary, yesterday, and was also attracted to the majestic score by Alan Gray which I don't think has
                        been recorded; a sense of mystery which, surprisingly,reminded me of an enticing theme in JM Barrie's, Mary Rose, heard in the theatre as a young lad, my caveat is that its repetition fosters earworm!

Comment

Working...
                        X